The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

20 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yup, Like I said, I'd wager Virt's the odd man out assuming Podz continues on his present track. I wasn't suggesting Lind (or Mac/Jasek/Lockwood etc) were going to replace Brock. Just noting they're far more likely to fill out our 4th line/bottom 6 RW's slots long term rather than Virtanen or Podz.

Run with Boeser, extended Toffoli, Virt, Mac the next couple years. As Podz arrives, he pushes out Virt. As Toffoli ages out/expires, Podz moves up. Other guys back fill the bottom 6 RW slots as needed.

That could certainly change but that's what my tea leaves are reading right now anyway ;) 

Considering that Jake is getting better every year, is fast, physical and productive, and can play on any line, I really don't see him going anywhere. Pods might push Jake down the lineup, but it seems unlikely that he would push Jake right out of the lineup.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Steven Stamkos said:

Boeser is a very good puck possession player and it really shows when we don’t have him. News flash to everyone who wants to trade him: It’s easier to score goals when one of your best players has the puck on his stick even when he’s not scoring. Before his mid season slump and injury he was almost a point per game player and we don’t know if he was a little banged up prior to injury. 

I feel like he was banged up prior to this injury. He was slower skating and his shot didn't seem to have the same zip and/or pinpoint accuracy as before. Maybe it was a wrist injury or something. Either way, he was very clearly a passenger for most of this season, which is not usual. Something was up.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I feel like he was banged up prior to this injury. He was slower skating and his shot didn't seem to have the same zip and/or pinpoint accuracy as before. Maybe it was a wrist injury or something. Either way, he was very clearly a passenger for most of this season, which is not usual. Something was up.

Bess is great.  He drives play.  We are not trading Bess.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Bess is great.  He drives play.  We are not trading Bess.  

Yeah, he is clearly one of our best six forwards. That's not what you look to trade away. You only do that if you are filling a significantly more important hole in the lineup than you are creating by trading him away.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, he is clearly one of our best six forwards. That's not what you look to trade away. You only do that if you are filling a significantly more important hole in the lineup than you are creating by trading him away.

Yup.  IMO we should still be in the rebuilding phase (I accept that’s not the belief of our owner and JB) so we need to keep all our best young players and prospects.  We need to draft D men (or get them out of college UFA, like Rafferty) and not trade our young guys for them.  When Pods, Lind, and Hoglander arrive, and if they all prove to be really good top nine players, then we can look at trading a young winger to fill a hole on D.  

14 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Yes, hopefully the time off has allowed Brock to heal whatever was bothering him, and he will return playing 100%.

23 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Considering that Jake is getting better every year, is fast, physical and productive, and can play on any line, I really don't see him going anywhere. Pods might push Jake down the lineup, but it seems unlikely that he would push Jake right out of the lineup.

My line of thinking is that that very much sounds like Podz as well (who's doing more, at a younger age, than Virtanen did and will be younger and cheaper).

And if not, well then we're back to Boeser ;) This isn't Pokemon, you can't catch (and keep) them all :P 

Plus to add that top, likely right side D, you've got to pay to play. It's not a slight against Virtanen (or Boeser), it's a testament to how far he's come and improved to be in a discussion to be worth a top 4 RD in trade/package in the next couple years.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if Benning has learned to use the media? by saying "8 weeks" maybe Jim was trying to fake out other teams in the west who were looking to load up at the TDL. 

Or he just doesn't have a clue^_^

Just now, Tre Mac said:

Ouch, sucks if he's scratched on his birthday.... for little things.... hehe, yeah probably hurt.  

Greener likes him so I doubt he’d be a healthy scratch unless he was hurting a bit. 

Mottes has taken some punishment last few games physically so not totally surprised. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2020 at 12:13 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if Benning has learned to use the media? by saying "8 weeks" maybe Jim was trying to fake out other teams in the west who were looking to load up at the TDL. 

On 3/10/2020 at 12:18 PM, Tre Mac said:

Or he just doesn't have a clue^_^

That would mean Canucks medical staff doesn't have a clue. 

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

That would mean Canucks medical staff doesn't have a clue. 

or it was a hairline crack and the kids healthy. Or its hard to diagnose. Or... or...or...  Brock ended up playing an OK 1st game back so by now either way its all good. 

On 3/28/2020 at 6:10 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

or it was a hairline crack and the kids healthy. Or its hard to diagnose. Or... or...or...  Brock ended up playing an OK 1st game back so by now either way its all good. 

I think JB knew exactly what was happening and how long it would take.  I think he was holding his cards close to his chest for what ever reason.. could be 2 or 3 reasons to do that so close to tdl..

I highly doubt JB or his medical team was clueless and his medical staff didn't know.  

JB has grown and learned a lot over the years since being a GM  with Canucks.. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I think JB knew exactly what was happening and how long it would take.  I think he was holding his cards close to his chest for what ever reason.. could be 2 or 3 reasons to do that so close to tdl..

I highly doubt JB or his medical team was clueless and his medical staff didn't know.  

JB has grown and learned a lot over the years since being a GM  with Canucks.. 

so you are saying he is no longer a rookie gm?

sweet, the lion has spoken, now we can move off that label for him

can you clarify please whether green is still a rookie coach?

would solve so many disputes on here

• Haha 1

If the Canucks sign TT in the off-season does that make BB a trade asset to be moved to improve our defense?  I admit to feeling conflicted about this idea.  BB has been so popular here in Vancouver, I never thought this would be discussed.  Yesterday there was someone who said this same thing on TSN 1040 (sorry that I can't remember who was being interviewed).  Dose signing TT make BB expendable?  With time to settle down after hearing this but I am thinking that is not such a bad idea.  What do you all think?

I think after the upcoming season at the latest, one of Brock/ Tyler or Jake won't be with the team anymore, strictly due to the business side of things.

Remember the Hawks in their contender days?  At times they had to tear it down to the core plus cheap guys with upside on ELC's to remain in contention, and it was down to Toews/ Kane/ Keith/ Seabrook/ Crawford, plus a mix of solid to star-level running mates (Hossa, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Hjalmarsson, Bolland, Sharp, Saad, Oduya, Leddy, Ladd...).  For Vancouver I could see it being Bo/ Pete/ Miller/ Hughes/ one of Marky or Demko, plus Hughes' defensive partner (once Edler ages out) and if we manage the cap well, one or both of Brock and T.T.  If we manage to shed Loui/ Sutter/ Sven/ Roussel and not add anymore bad contracts then that loaded lineup could probably last longer but it's up to the moves management makes.  Personally due to his well-rounded game I think Tyler could be a good replacement with his all-round play, esp. if Brock somehow prices himself out or shows that he hasn't really improved since whatever was bothering him this season.