The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

14 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We probably should value Boeser as a top RW since that's what the numbers say and that's gonna get us a big return. Zboril and Carlsson have barely stepped into the league yet. Larrson doesn't have half of Boeser's value, he's playing in a top 6 role. No offense but those wouldn't be the brightest moves to make.

Chabot is probably one of the highest valued D in the league right now. No way anyone's getting him. I could see him winning a Norris or two the way he's trending and if Ottawa can turn it around, he finished 18th in Norris voting last year. I suggest you do watch him in order to see why Ottawa plays him 26 minutes a game and sometimes 30 minutes a night. He's pretty damn good. I doubt the Yotes want to trade Chychurn either. He's gonna be their cornerstone moving forward and they haven't had the greatest of luck when moving out younger players(Domi, Duclair, Strome). On top of that he's probably their next captain after OEL.

Market's quite on Dman right now. That's why I only mentioned Risto being the only one really available that we could trade Boeser for evenly.

I realize that Chabot and Chychrun is shooting high, but it is because they are on teams that make bad trades that I thought it worth a flyer.

Not all GMs learn their lesson.

In your response to Agent above you talk about patience, Trading Brock for a younger defenceman is a "patient" move.

Are you grading the other d I mentioned on anything other than NHL stats? I look on HockeyDB, so I do not have first hand knowledge or an inside scoop. What  are you using?

If we go back to Sergachev and Jones, Jones had 2.5 years in the league, Johannson 4.5 years

Serg had 4 games and Drouin had parts of 3 years including a 53 point season.

THose are moves that are working out for the patient teams. 

I also think Montreal was hoping for the |"Beliveau effect" hoping that they were trading for the next Vinny Lecavlier by bringing the French guy home.

I hear that sentiment on this board often, last year we brought in Myers and Benn hoping home cooking would produce more than what we paid for.

many fans are tired of both. Was it you that suggested Myers is a compiance buyout  candidate?

Round about 2011-12 Mike Gillis floated the idea of the "Boston Model" and everyone including Gillis meant "Big, mean, bully your way to the cup"

But actually the Boston Model is the same model Sam Pollock used in the late 60s and 70s  to win 9 cups in 13 years.

Maybe Zboril isn't the answer, but Boston did pretty good with Seguin, Hamilton, Debrusk + Carlo (in one draft) and Kessel, Lucic + Marchand (in one draft)  Pastrenak, Donato, Hienen + Bjork (one draft),the funny thing about those last 7, one is the draft before Benning arrived and the other is the draft after he left.

Traded for the pick that picked Ray Borque

But the point is, they trade guys early and often and often for 1st round picks , not all who turn out, but enough do to keep them at or near the top of the league

By contrast the Vancouver model is to fall in love with every player (not names Jarod McCann) and wait and wait for him to become the star we think we drafted

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Could be. Pearson could be as well if we want to go younger and cheaper. Not sure if the Canucks will keep Pod at RW though. Never kept Jake at LW and we have more of a need at LW. Pod is a different type of player though having the 200ft game already so he could be an exception.

I must have missed when Jake was a LW...? Is Podkolzin that different or is he already doing a lot of what we hoped to get from Jake (and in fairness, Jake has finally started to show himself)?

As for Pearson, yup different wings and I wouldn't be surprised to see us try to resign him either if we can keep the term and cap low'ish.

I see the natural progression of leaving Boeser at 1 RW, Toffoli at 2RW, Virtanen at 3RW until Podkolzin arrives. When he does, he can slot on there (or 4RW if not quite as ready) and allow MacEwan/Lind etc to fill in the blanks. When Podkolzin is ready to take over at 2RW, you move Toffoli for a tidy return nearing his contract end (likely futures) and bump everyone up.

Also yeah if we got a good deal, say BUF was desperate and wanted Boeser for RIsto+ yeah make a deal like that. We are fortunate to have the patience to wait for a good deal.

Thank you for not saying Dumba :lol: I actually wonder if we could get something like a Byram + deal for Boeser (or similar prospect + from another team) if we were to move him (which again I see us keeping him personally).

Lots of variables involved however. Virtanen could outperform Boeser, 

Yup there are. That's why Jimmy makes the big bucks ;)

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I must have missed when Jake was a LW...? Is Podkolzin that different or is he already doing a lot of what we hoped to get from Jake (and in fairness, Jake has finally started to show himself)?

As for Pearson, yup different wings and I wouldn't be surprised to see us try to resign him either if we can keep the term and cap low'ish.

I see the natural progression of leaving Boeser at 1 RW, Toffoli at 2RW, Virtanen at 3RW until Podkolzin arrives. When he does, he can slot on there (or 4RW if not quite as ready) and allow MacEwan/Lind etc to fill in the blanks. When Podkolzin is ready to take over at 2RW, you move Toffoli for a tidy return nearing his contract end (likely futures) and bump everyone up.

Thank you for not saying Dumba :lol: I actually wonder if we could get something like a Byram + deal for Boeser (or similar prospect + from another team) if we were to move him (which again I see us keeping him personally).

Yup there are. That's why Jimmy makes the big bucks ;)

In junior he played both sides. Was listed at LW in various places. I am saying I wouldn't be surprised if Pod was a LWer just because we have more of a need there as it stands. 

I wouldn't mind re-signing Pearson either. What I would like to happen is a young guy pushing him down to a 3rd LW role making us a stronger and deep team. Sign Toffoli 4 years and Pearson 3 you gotta perfect stop gap and natural progression and like you've stated assets down the road.

Also gotta consider if Gaudette converts to wing if he can't make it as a C. I think he'd make a great winger personally.

Not a fan of Dumba. He isn't bad but not worth a Boeser. Risto is not a bad RD. Just was over-utilized while on a poor team hence why I like him. He brings a lot to the table and even had a better year because Dahlin takes up more minutes and responsibility on another pairing. Risto's still their big minute man though.

Byram would be an interesting one. We'd get a decent forward(Donskoi/Compher) back too since they need to send cap back and maybe even a pick. More of a risky deal but could be very worth it, Byram is a top prospect and Avs have a bunch of solid D already, especially with the emergence of Girard. Maybe we throw in a Rathbone/OJ and they are willing to part with Burakovsky. Maybe if they're desperate to become a top team they are willing to give us Jost as well. Avs could be a great partner.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

3 hours ago, lmm said:

I realize that Chabot and Chychrun is shooting high, but it is because they are on teams that make bad trades that I thought it worth a flyer.

Not all GMs learn their lesson.

In your response to Agent above you talk about patience, Trading Brock for a younger defenceman is a "patient" move.

Are you grading the other d I mentioned on anything other than NHL stats? I look on HockeyDB, so I do not have first hand knowledge or an inside scoop. What  are you using?

If we go back to Sergachev and Jones, Jones had 2.5 years in the league, Johannson 4.5 years

Serg had 4 games and Drouin had parts of 3 years including a 53 point season.

THose are moves that are working out for the patient teams. 

I also think Montreal was hoping for the |"Beliveau effect" hoping that they were trading for the next Vinny Lecavlier by bringing the French guy home.

I hear that sentiment on this board often, last year we brought in Myers and Benn hoping home cooking would produce more than what we paid for.

many fans are tired of both. Was it you that suggested Myers is a compiance buyout  candidate?

Round about 2011-12 Mike Gillis floated the idea of the "Boston Model" and everyone including Gillis meant "Big, mean, bully your way to the cup"

But actually the Boston Model is the same model Sam Pollock used in the late 60s and 70s  to win 9 cups in 13 years.

Maybe Zboril isn't the answer, but Boston did pretty good with Seguin, Hamilton, Debrusk + Carlo (in one draft) and Kessel, Lucic + Marchand (in one draft)  Pastrenak, Donato, Hienen + Bjork (one draft),the funny thing about those last 7, one is the draft before Benning arrived and the other is the draft after he left.

Traded for the pick that picked Ray Borque

But the point is, they trade guys early and often and often for 1st round picks , not all who turn out, but enough do to keep them at or near the top of the league

By contrast the Vancouver model is to fall in love with every player (not names Jarod McCann) and wait and wait for him to become the star we think we drafted

When I talk about patience I am stating till Pod/Hog/Lind steps up and prove we have an abundance of solid forwards. I am talking about not pretending we have a solid problem at forward until we actually do.

When looking at other D I am seeing as much as I can see. Roles they play, how they're utilized, researching local news regarding the player and underlying numbers. Really doesn't seem worth it when they haven't stepped into the league, aren't producing great at their current level or are producing as a top 6 D. Unless they're a top prospect like Byram which doesn't seem the case with some of those mentioned D.

Not falling in love with any player. I have stated I am more than willing to trade a forward for a D when the time is right. My point was the time isn't right unless a perfect deal falls into our laps. We definitely shouldn't be seeking one until we actually have an abundance of forwards that are too good for bottom 6 roles and prove ready for top 6 duties, right now it isn't the case. Pod/Hog are a ways away.

We aren't as in as desperate of a rush as most teams like TBL/Boston to become successful. Our top players are a lot more younger and we are not even close to our window. We're in different positions than TBL and Boston. Most of their top guys are in their prime and they've added young players to that (Debrusk Carlo Pasta Point Serg etc).

We're in no rush. We're on the uptrend. Our top players have hardly established themselves or have reached their full potential. 

I said buyout Myers if Pietrangelo is willing to come here because Pietrangelo would make Myers redundant and if we get 2 compliance buyouts. 6M would take up 2/3rds of Pietrangelo's contract more than likely. More of a pipe dream than anything.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

A trade with Minnesota maybe?

Their 1rst, Greenway and Goreev for Boeser and a resigned Stecher?

Their 1rst, Greenway and Dumba for Boeser, Rathbone and Stecher?

Their 1rst, Greenway and Dumba for Boeser,Juloevi and Stecher?

Edited by Lazurus
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

A trade with Minnesota maybe?

Their 1rst, Greenway and Goreev for Boeser and a resigned Stecher?

I believe Boeser is currently on the Canucks "untouchable" list. Doubt they'll ever trade Boeser unless he demands to go home... and all indications point to the fact that he's happy in Vancouver.

And Benning doesn't trade for picks, he gives them away lol

• Huggy Bear 1

On 4/28/2020 at 11:08 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

When I talk about patience I am stating till Pod/Hog/Lind steps up and prove we have an abundance of solid forwards. I am talking about not pretending we have a solid problem at forward until we actually do.

When looking at other D I am seeing as much as I can see. Roles they play, how they're utilized, researching local news regarding the player and underlying numbers. Really doesn't seem worth it when they haven't stepped into the league, aren't producing great at their current level or are producing as a top 6 D. Unless they're a top prospect like Byram which doesn't seem the case with some of those mentioned D.

Not falling in love with any player. I have stated I am more than willing to trade a forward for a D when the time is right. My point was the time isn't right unless a perfect deal falls into our laps. We definitely shouldn't be seeking one until we actually have an abundance of forwards that are too good for bottom 6 roles and prove ready for top 6 duties, right now it isn't the case. Pod/Hog are a ways away.

We aren't as in as desperate of a rush as most teams like TBL/Boston to become successful. Our top players are a lot more younger and we are not even close to our window. We're in different positions than TBL and Boston. Most of their top guys are in their prime and they've added young players to that (Debrusk Carlo Pasta Point Serg etc).

We're in no rush. We're on the uptrend. Our top players have hardly established themselves or have reached their full potential. 

I said buyout Myers if Pietrangelo is willing to come here because Pietrangelo would make Myers redundant and if we get 2 compliance buyouts. 6M would take up 2/3rds of Pietrangelo's contract more than likely. More of a pipe dream than anything.

I agree with most everything you say, but I think the "window" thing is over blown.

I keep going back to Boston, because their window seems to always be open.

It is always open because they always have a top 5 D-man

since 1966 its gone Orr- Park- Bourque... gap that they tried to fill with an old Coffey, old Leetch, old  Gonchar and not so old McLaren... Chara. If Peiterangelo moves, I'd bet on him going to Boston. If you are Peiterangelo, what is not to like in Boston, they never get old and they are never young, the curtain just blows out that ever open window. With Chara approaching his 100th birthday, its the perfect time for Peiterangalo to step in, then they replace Rask and the story continues.

That is why I don't get caught up in "window" talk or "moving goal posts or "age gap"  , because I think they are excuses for acceptable or expected failure.

I would like to see this team get past the feast or famine cycle of opening and closing windows and move to a sustainable high quality team, where the parts are fluid. Where we trade guys because the trade is there. That kind of patience. Not rush to sign guys for too much. Not having to add picks because you waited too long. Sustained quality beats feast or famine. and the window never closes... that is my pipe dream.

3 hours ago, lmm said:

I agree with most everything you say, but I think the "window" thing is over blown.

I keep going back to Boston, because their window seems to always be open.

It is always open because they always have a top 5 D-man

since 1966 its gone Orr- Park- Bourque... gap that they tried to fill with an old Coffey, old Leetch, old  Gonchar and not so old McLaren... Chara. If Peiterangelo moves, I'd bet on him going to Boston. If you are Peiterangelo, what is not to like in Boston, they never get old and they are never young, the curtain just blows out that ever open window. With Chara approaching his 100th birthday, its the perfect time for Peiterangalo to step in, then they replace Rask and the story continues.

That is why I don't get caught up in "window" talk or "moving goal posts or "age gap"  , because I think they are excuses for acceptable or expected failure.

I would like to see this team get past the feast or famine cycle of opening and closing windows and move to a sustainable high quality team, where the parts are fluid. Where we trade guys because the trade is there. That kind of patience. Not rush to sign guys for too much. Not having to add picks because you waited too long. Sustained quality beats feast or famine. and the window never closes... that is my pipe dream.

I do think of all top teams Boston has the highest chance to fall off. Berg/Marchand/Chara not getting any younger. They need a solid young piece to step up with the guys they already have and they'll need a top FA to stay at the top of the East. Hard to replace a Rask, goalies take a while to become starters too. They should be okay on the goalie front for a bit though Rask hasn't shown many signs of slowing down and probably has a few more good years left.

Team like SJS has shown you only can be successful for so long. Eventually it all comes undone.

My bet is that Pietrangelo stays in STL. There's no better team that suits him and the Blues are set up for success longer than 90% of teams. All their big players are in their prime.

On April 28, 2020 at 5:41 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Could be. Pearson could be as well if we want to go younger and cheaper. Not sure if the Canucks will keep Pod at RW though. Never kept Jake at LW and we have more of a need at LW. Pod is a different type of player though having the 200ft game already so he could be an exception.

Also yeah if we got a good deal, say BUF was desperate and wanted Boeser for RIsto+ yeah make a deal like that. We are fortunate to have the patience to wait for a good deal.

Boeser nabs us more of a return IMO and would decrease the cap considering by the time we are ready to move out a forward for a D Boeser will be close to needing a new contract. Would probably be 7M+ but hard to say if cap will be an issue a year after Hughes and Petey are re-sign, too early to tell.

Lots of variables involved however. Virtanen could outperform Boeser, Pod/Hog might need more seasoning than expected, Could or could not get the compliance buyouts, Cap might not go up much the next few years, Seattle might take a forward, Could get extremely lucky and land a top FA defenseman, etc. Definitely interesting to keep an eye on and we're only gonna have good problems at FWD moving forward.

Hopefully some of Dmen we have(OJ/Woo/Rafferty/Brisebois/Tryamkin) prove that they can play in the meantime. Would mean the world especially if OJ and Tryamkin panned out into top 4 D within the next 2-3 years.

Like your post...This summer will be very interesting...We have UFA Tanev 30 yrs old to decide on, always injured will want 4.6 x 4 yrs..

I would like Jim to make a trade for top #2 D man under 27 solid guy to build around the  team core..

Edlers 34 avg over 23 mins per game..If we don't sign Tanev it will be a must this summer...

Will have to trade a Boser to get a top D man in return..

We have to trade a top 4 forward to get a top #2 D man .. These trades are not simple but other team will want a Boser back.

Just remember have to trade a very good asset to get a top end D man ..

If we sign Taffoli solid winger complete 200 foot game will score 30 goals - 65 points playing beside Petey..

Have to make this trade very soon, no young prospects in Utica ready to replace Tanev...Think its time to make this very important move..

Some very good young exciting D men to go after...Werenski 22, 6'2, Columbus,  Slavin, 25, 6'3  Hurricaines,  Ristolainen 25, 6'3 Buff,

McAvoy, 6'0, 22 Bos,  Lindholm 6'3, 25 Ducks,  Provorov 23, 6'1 Flyers,(  Dumba 25, 6'0 ,Minn, really like )  Severson 25, 6'1 really like him- NJ Devils.  Really need to go after one of these guys...Future is very exciting..

Edited by wildcam
  • Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

Werenski 22, 6'2, Columbus,  Slavin, 25, 6'3  Hurricaines,  Ristolainen 25, 6'3 Buff,

McAvoy, 6'0, 22 Bos,  Lindholm 6'3, 25 Ducks,  Provorov 23, 6'1 Flyers,(  Dumba 25, 6'0 ,Minn, really like )  Severson 25, 6'1 really like him- NJ Devils.

Problem is this? Most of these guys who are around 25? We only get 2 years, maybe 3. Thats not worth Boeser. 

Talent wise, physical ability; I'm happy with Ristolainen. But you have to get them to add a first. 

The best guys? McAvoy, Provorov, Werenski. We would have to add.

I see us losing Tanev. Picking up the best upper mid tier UFA RHD we can find; Hamonic,  Barrie, Vatanen.

I am envious of Carolina, who STOLE Brady Skjei fro NYR.

You don’t trade Boeser when he’s just entering his prime on a team friendly contract.

Trade him before he’s due to earn 8-9 mil if you have to but not now. 

Go watch the goals video on the Canucks Talk  page and see how important he is to our offence. He’s driving play on a huge portion of our goals scored. Trade him and this team is struggling to score again.

Not to mention he’s a high character guy and a core player on this team. He has a place on this team as long as they can fit him under the cap.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wildcam said:

Like your post...This summer will be very interesting...We have UFA Tanev 30 yrs old to decide on, always injured will want 4.6 x 4 yrs..

I would like Jim to make a trade for top #2 D man under 27 solid guy to build around the  team core..

Edlers 34 avg over 23 mins per game..If we don't sign Tanev it will be a must this summer...

Will have to trade a Boser to get a top D man in return..

We have to trade a top 4 forward to get a top #2 D man .. These trades are not simple but other team will want a Boser back.

Just remember have to trade a very good asset to get a top end D man ..

If we sign Taffoli solid winger complete 200 foot game will score 30 goals - 65 points playing beside Petey..

Have to make this trade very soon, no young prospects in Utica ready to replace Tanev...Think its time to make this very important move..

Some very good young exciting D men to go after...Werenski 22, 6'2, Columbus,  Slavin, 25, 6'3  Hurricaines,  Ristolainen 25, 6'3 Buff,

McAvoy, 6'0, 22 Bos,  Lindholm 6'3, 25 Ducks,  Provorov 23, 6'1 Flyers,(  Dumba 25, 6'0 ,Minn, really like )  Severson 25, 6'1 really like him- NJ Devils.  Really need to go after one of these guys...Future is very exciting..

Thing is if you can't really trade Boeser when Pod/Hog have yet to prove him expendable. We can't act like they have when they haven't.

You think we have to trade Boeser for a D asap when we really don't. If we do that's a desperate move and rushing for a deal isn't gonna get us a good one. We actually have the patience to see if these young kids can step up and prove he's expendable and to also wait for the perfect deal. A lot of things have yet to transpire. We also have OJ Tryamkin and Rath in the wings.

We get a compliance buyout or move out contracts we don't have to wait to replace Tanev cause we will just re-sign him. Been great and healthy this year with Hughes, who even thanks Tanev for a lot of his progression. Why try to split up that pairing if given the chance to save it?

Also half the D you've mentioned would never be moved and the other half isn't worth Boeser. Only guy really available is Risto or maybe Byram if you're willing to take a chance on a top prospect who hasn't played.

All the people who want to trade Boeser are the same type of people that thought trading Hall was a good idea.

Canucks Forums: WE NEED MORE GOALS

Boeser: Scores goals

Nobody:

Literally No one:

Canucks Forums: We should trade our 21 year old near point per game winger

Boeser just needs to hopefully get his wrist and back to 100% or near

It's been hampering his accuracy and strength on his shot

He could pick corners at will and had a heavy shot in his 1st season

Since his injuries his shot seems weaker and less accurate.

4 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

All the people who want to trade Boeser are the same type of people that thought trading Hall was a good idea.

Canucks Forums: WE NEED MORE GOALS

Boeser: Scores goals

Nobody:

Literally No one:

Canucks Forums: We should trade our 21 year old near point per game winger

Not at all, Vancouver needs a top end D man to reduce Edlers Ice time and replacing Tanev..Would be crazy to sign Tanev to a 4yr x 4.5 million Dollar contract with his past history of injuries...

Are we not in top 8 in scoring? You also need a strong defence..

16 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Thing is if you can't really trade Boeser when Pod/Hog have yet to prove him expendable. We can't act like they have when they haven't.

You think we have to trade Boeser for a D asap when we really don't. If we do that's a desperate move and rushing for a deal isn't gonna get us a good one. We actually have the patience to see if these young kids can step up and prove he's expendable and to also wait for the perfect deal. A lot of things have yet to transpire. We also have OJ Tryamkin and Rath in the wings.

We get a compliance buyout or move out contracts we don't have to wait to replace Tanev cause we will just re-sign him. Been great and healthy this year with Hughes, who even thanks Tanev for a lot of his progression. Why try to split up that pairing if given the chance to save it?

Also half the D you've mentioned would never be moved and the other half isn't worth Boeser. Only guy really available is Risto or maybe Byram if you're willing to take a chance on a top prospect who hasn't played.

I agree he never had the major injury this season, not like the past 4 years..

Teams will trade good assets like young D if there is a need they want.. I think a 30 goal scorer coming back in a trade would excite lots of teams??

Eventually Vancouver will have to make a trade for top D man..

Edler has also been healthy but Edlers 34 years old now playing over 23 mins per game against the other teams top lines.

Taking big chance signing injury prone Tanev 30 years old to 4 yrs x 4.5 million? Very risky and nobody young coming up to replace him? Maybe one of these prospects in one or two years, Rathbone , Rafferty, Briesbois, Juolevi, Woo.

Only so many UFA D men and there are 30 other teams..To get a solid core younger D man under 27 years old you have to give up a asset???

Not a simple trade but will have to happen at some point unless we have a super surprise with a young D prospect.

Edited by wildcam

2 hours ago, playboi19 said:

Boeser just needs to hopefully get his wrist and back to 100% or near

It's been hampering his accuracy and strength on his shot

He could pick corners at will and had a heavy shot in his 1st season

Since his injuries his shot seems weaker and less accurate.

Boser has been injury prone his first 2 seasons... I think Boser is a 25-30 goal scorer maybe 63-70 points tops if playing with Pettersson.

I would say his skating is average, soft along the boards, not a complete 200 foot player like a Toffoli..

I honestly like Toffoli better then Boser...Taffoli playing with Petey for 80 games -- 30-35 goals 70 points complete 200 foot game.

Teams know what Boser can do, he will not get that extra time like he did his first season..

I am really excited about Virtanen big 6'1, 220 ibs, such a great skater with speed can cause so much havoc and only 23 years old..

See Jake as a 19-24 goal scorer- 44-50 points...

Edited by wildcam

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Either way I don’t think it has to be Boeser vs Toffoli. We should be trying to keep both and dumping cap in redundant players like Sutter, Eriksson, Benn, and Roussel. These players can be replaced by our depth much easier than the 60+ goals that Toffoli and Boeser bring.

This. I also think an ELC Podkolzin makes Virtanen an eventual cap casualty as well.

• Cheers 1