Sign in to follow this  
thejazz97

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I think JB knew exactly what was happening and how long it would take.  I think he was holding his cards close to his chest for what ever reason.. could be 2 or 3 reasons to do that so close to tdl..

 

I highly doubt JB or his medical team was clueless and his medical staff didn't know.  

 

JB has grown and learned a lot over the years since being a GM  with Canucks.. 

so you are saying he is no longer a rookie gm?

sweet, the lion has spoken, now we can move off that label for him

 

can you clarify please whether green is still a rookie coach?

would solve so many disputes on here

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Canucks sign TT in the off-season does that make BB a trade asset to be moved to improve our defense?  I admit to feeling conflicted about this idea.  BB has been so popular here in Vancouver, I never thought this would be discussed.  Yesterday there was someone who said this same thing on TSN 1040 (sorry that I can't remember who was being interviewed).  Dose signing TT make BB expendable?  With time to settle down after hearing this but I am thinking that is not such a bad idea.  What do you all think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think after the upcoming season at the latest, one of Brock/ Tyler or Jake won't be with the team anymore, strictly due to the business side of things.

Remember the Hawks in their contender days?  At times they had to tear it down to the core plus cheap guys with upside on ELC's to remain in contention, and it was down to Toews/ Kane/ Keith/ Seabrook/ Crawford, plus a mix of solid to star-level running mates (Hossa, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Hjalmarsson, Bolland, Sharp, Saad, Oduya, Leddy, Ladd...).  For Vancouver I could see it being Bo/ Pete/ Miller/ Hughes/ one of Marky or Demko, plus Hughes' defensive partner (once Edler ages out) and if we manage the cap well, one or both of Brock and T.T.  If we manage to shed Loui/ Sutter/ Sven/ Roussel and not add anymore bad contracts then that loaded lineup could probably last longer but it's up to the moves management makes.  Personally due to his well-rounded game I think Tyler could be a good replacement with his all-round play, esp. if Brock somehow prices himself out or shows that he hasn't really improved since whatever was bothering him this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

If the Canucks sign TT in the off-season does that make BB a trade asset to be moved to improve our defense?  I admit to feeling conflicted about this idea.  BB has been so popular here in Vancouver, I never thought this would be discussed.  Yesterday there was someone who said this same thing on TSN 1040 (sorry that I can't remember who was being interviewed).  Dose signing TT make BB expendable?  With time to settle down after hearing this but I am thinking that is not such a bad idea.  What do you all think?

Him or Virtanen. And with Podkolzin trending well (and more similar to Virtanen), Virtanen might be the odd man out eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dpn1 said:

If the Canucks sign TT in the off-season does that make BB a trade asset to be moved to improve our defense?  I admit to feeling conflicted about this idea.  BB has been so popular here in Vancouver, I never thought this would be discussed.  Yesterday there was someone who said this same thing on TSN 1040 (sorry that I can't remember who was being interviewed).  Dose signing TT make BB expendable?  With time to settle down after hearing this but I am thinking that is not such a bad idea.  What do you all think?

The only concern I have is that Boeser might still have some untapped potential. Toffoli isn't particularly old, but he's turning 28 in about a month and is probably at his peak right now and will soon begin declining (even if only a bit). Boeser is 23 and could easily still have another 5 years close to a point-per-game and still may become the 40-goal scorer or 80-point forward we all want.

  • Hydration 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I think after the upcoming season at the latest, one of Brock/ Tyler or Jake won't be with the team anymore, strictly due to the business side of things.

Remember the Hawks in their contender days?  At times they had to tear it down to the core plus cheap guys with upside on ELC's to remain in contention, and it was down to Toews/ Kane/ Keith/ Seabrook/ Crawford, plus a mix of solid to star-level running mates (Hossa, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Hjalmarsson, Bolland, Sharp, Saad, Oduya, Leddy, Ladd...).  For Vancouver I could see it being Bo/ Pete/ Miller/ Hughes/ one of Marky or Demko, plus Hughes' defensive partner (once Edler ages out) and if we manage the cap well, one or both of Brock and T.T.  If we manage to shed Loui/ Sutter/ Sven/ Roussel and not add anymore bad contracts then that loaded lineup could probably last longer but it's up to the moves management makes.  Personally due to his well-rounded game I think Tyler could be a good replacement with his all-round play, esp. if Brock somehow prices himself out or shows that he hasn't really improved since whatever was bothering him this season.

It's pretty tough to make a call on the situation right now.

No one knows what's going to happen or, when they get to go back to work.

Personally, I can't see the cap dropping. The NHLPA probably wouldn't accept that.

I do think they're going to figure something out, so as to give teams against the cap a fair chance to re-sign players that they may have taken chances on, Toffoli being one of them.

We've also entered the area where analysts said it would be more realistic to buy out Eriksson. I wonder how much cap space that would save.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boeser has so much potential. People don’t realize that he was nearly a point per game during the season and was set to finish around 70-75 points during the middle of the season. I would prefer Boeser over Toffoli if it comes down to it but I hope we can keep both. I think Boeser can become a consistent 30-40 goal scorer when he’s in his prime like a Vladimir Tarasenko type of player. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be crazy for the team to trade away Boeser at the age of 23. I think Boeser will be here atleast for the remainder of his current contract. Like many others say, Boeser is still young and he had shown in the past how good he can be. I honestly believe that he has been playing with this injury ailing for weeks before he official went down. Just watched some highlights from earlier this season, Boeser was faster, stronger on pucks and more engaged in play. A player just don't all of a sudden stop doing what is making him successful, he was playing hurt before he was officially hurt. Best case scenario would be for the season to resume at some point and start at the playoffs and we have a healthy line up which mean we might be able to do some damage.

  • Hydration 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trading Boeser right now would be 100x worse idea than trading JV for lacking "Hockey IQ" few years ago. 

 

The kid hasn't had a legit summer training yet in any of his first 3 seasons in the NHL. 

He's already being pegged on the 2nd line of 2022 USA Olympics team by Button. 

 

I am shocked that this is even a discussion at this point. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Burr 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/26/2020 at 9:19 AM, LowerMainLander18 said:

Trading Boeser right now would be 100x worse idea than trading JV for lacking "Hockey IQ" few years ago. 

 

The kid hasn't had a legit summer training yet in any of his first 3 seasons in the NHL. 

He's already being pegged on the 2nd line of 2022 USA Olympics team by Button. 

 

I am shocked that this is even a discussion at this point. 

It's not trading him because hes not good enough.

 

It's trading him because Virtanen is showing boarder line top 6 production and Boeser could bring in a hell of a defenseman

Edited by Wanless
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wanless said:

It's not trading him because he not good enough.

 

It's trading him because Virtanen is show board line top 6 production and Boeser could bring in a hell of a defenseman

I wasn't saying trading Boeser wouldnt be beneficial tot his team.

If we were to trade him to a team, Boeser has enough potential to fetch that team so much more than a hell of a defenceman we would get. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

I wasn't saying trading Boeser wouldnt be beneficial tot his team.

If we were to trade him to a team, Boeser has enough potential to fetch that team so much more than a hell of a defenceman we would get. 

Let me be clear.

 

Trade him for a top pair right side two way defender who can put up 30-40 points

 

But you think that Boeser can get more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Let me be clear.

 

Trade him for a top pair right side two way defender who can put up 30-40 points

 

But you think that Boeser can get more?

Boeser hasn't had his best season yet. So sure, his trade value will rise the more we keep him. 

 

And getting a top pair right side D who can put up numbers sounds sick.

But once Boeser hits his ceiling, we wouldnt even need to negotiate much to get that kind of caliber player.

 

We can decide then whether getting another dream Dman out-benefits having Boeser. 

 

Also, don't we have some good Dman in our pipeline?

Edited by LowerMainLander18
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Boeser hasn't had his best season yet. So sure, his trade value will rise the more we keep him. 

 

And getting a top pair right side D who can put up numbers sounds sick.

But once Boeser hits his ceiling, we wouldnt even need to negotiate much to get that kind of caliber player.

 

We can decide then whether getting another dream Dman out-benefits having Boeser. 

 

Also, don't we have some good Dman in our pipeline?

How do you ever know when a guy reaches his peak? 

Some players play til they are 42 and others slow down at 22.

Brock has decreased his ppg from .88 to .78

while Travis Konecny (the player drafted 1 spot after Brock) has increased his to .91 and lead the Flyers in scoring

Konecny has an 81 and 82 game season under his belt while Brock has injury problems.

If Brock scores 82 points in 82 games next year, do you trade him while he is hot or hope that is a sign his injury troubles are behind him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lmm said:

How do you ever know when a guy reaches his peak? 

Some players play til they are 42 and others slow down at 22.

Brock has decreased his ppg from .88 to .78

while Travis Konecny (the player drafted 1 spot after Brock) has increased his to .91 and lead the Flyers in scoring

Konecny has an 81 and 82 game season under his belt while Brock has injury problems.

If Brock scores 82 points in 82 games next year, do you trade him while he is hot or hope that is a sign his injury troubles are behind him?

3 seasons. 2 of which plagued by injuries.

Nope he hasnt peaked.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Buttons USA roster roster had three Canucks on it (Boeser, Miller, Hughes). Pretty nice to have some high end players being considered for the Olympics.

 

I also think Demko could have an outside chance based on injuries and how his next season goes.

 

Horvat for team Canada will also be considered.

 

Then add Pettersson, Markstrom, and Edler? for team Sweden and we could have as many as 8 Olympians come 2022.

 

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

3 seasons. 2 of which plagued by injuries.

Nope he hasnt peaked.

 

 

maybe yes,maybe no

 

you are assuming that he recovers fully from every injury

Look at Sutter, pretty much an iron man and second line center caught behind two first liners in Pittsburg, until he got to Vancouver, got injured and coasted down hill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lmm said:

 

 

maybe yes,maybe no

 

you are assuming that he recovers fully from every injury

Look at Sutter, pretty much an iron man and second line center caught behind two first liners in Pittsburg, until he got to Vancouver, got injured and coasted down hill

Different story tho. 

They r in different stages of their respective careers. 

 

Boeser played 3 seasons in this league... Who peaks at his 3rd year in the league?

I can't name one. Help me out if u can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Different story tho. 

They r in different stages of their respective careers. 

 

Boeser played 3 seasons in this league... Who peaks at his 3rd year in the league?

I can't name one. Help me out if u can.

It's very rare, but it does happen from time to time. Jimmy Carson famously had his best two seasons by far in his sophomore and third season. It could be argued that Barrasso's best years were his first two seasons. Even Sidney Crosby has yet to match the 120 points he put up in his sophomore year.

 

Just a few examples, but I do believe your point still stands--it's very rare for players to reach their peak in their first three seasons, especially when they're still just 23 years old, like Boeser is.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It's very rare, but it does happen from time to time. Jimmy Carson famously had his best two seasons by far in his sophomore and third season. It could be argued that Barrasso's best years were his first two seasons. Even Sidney Crosby has yet to match the 120 points he put up in his sophomore year.

 

Just a few examples, but I do believe your point still stands--it's very rare for players to reach their peak in their first three seasons, especially when they're still just 23 years old, like Boeser is.

not that rare- injuries accumulate and teams play you harder, your desire to dominate goes down, you just want to stay in the league and get paid, does not mean you don't go hard, just not balls to the wall, would be stupid to go so hard you cut your career short. 

pretty common actually

 

Alex ovechkin - 112 points in 3rd year, came close in 4th and 5th year, points wise, huge drop off after 5th season - probably injury related, still a great player but he was other worldly, like Sid before the injuries piled up.

 

Evander kane- best year? you guessed it- his 3rd year (57 pts) 2011-2012, came remotely close to that only once , 2018-2019

 

check out:

 

Chris higgins- best season was his 3rd by far

Eric Karlsson - his second best season was his 3rd and and her did not surpass it until his 7th season 

mcdcvid-  116 pts in third full season (missed one due to injury)

 

could find more if I look... it is an injury thing and Brock has accumulated injuries, Brock probably also not in it as much mentally this year due to past injuries and his dad's health, that would wear on anyone

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.