The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

I don't know. I'm just a fan, man. 

But the power play can't remain the same as it's been the last two games. they've scored 3 goals in both Games 3 & 4, while the Blues in both their losses have scored 5 goals. 

Be glad that coach Green doesn't have my mentality! I'm glad that Green doesn't have my mentality

And I'm glad I ain't the coach either. 

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

I wonder how much trade value he has. IF MIN offered u their 9th overall pick would u do that 1 for 1 for boeser? Personally I would so we can draft the goalie Askarov cuz Demko is 100% gone. Wouldn't mind Holtz either

Also sheds cap space to sign petey and hughes next season cuz they prob both command 10M+ 

I wouldn't do the trade outright. I think Brock's got more value than just the 9th overall pick. Minny's got to add in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I knew Brock wasn't a puckhandling wizard of any kind, from the looks of it he was competent enough to make plays and instill trust that when he had the puck, he wouldn't be giving it up.  Lately, not only do I see someone who lacks confidence, but man he doesn't instill a lot of confidence in his linemates/teammates to hold the puck.  You can often see Miller and Petey defer to one another rather than giving it to Brock because he often loses handle of it or skates himself into a corner and turns it over.  He has averaged 2 giveaways per game and the highest total across the 4 games against the Blues.

I can't tell if he is nervous, lacks confidence, his wrists are bothering him, or his new blade is causing him issues, but he looks very incompetent with the puck.  It bobbles on his stick, it jumps everywhere, he cannot seem to corral it, and it literally looks like he is handling a grenade.  For whatever reason, this season, I've noticed his puck handling skills have been quite mediocre, and its being heightened even more so with games on the line.  Even when he loads up to shoot, the pucks bobbling and he is firing it high and wide.  He already takes a while to wind up for a shot, but with him not being able to settle the puck on his stick, it seems like an eternity.

If he isn't scoring and isn't generating offense he needs to dumb down his game more.  Be consistent in board battles, skate hard defensively, get pucks out of the defensive zone, and just be a solid hard working player.  At times throughout the past 2 seasons, I've noticed Brock falls into a pattern of apathetic-looking efforts when he is struggling with confidence.  He floats in the defensive zone, isn't very hard on pucks, and is very casual with the puck when he does have it.  When he is feeling it, you notice a difference in his effort level.  Obviously, it is not as bad as say Jake Virtanen apathy, but you can tell there is a drop off in his overall interest level and it reflects in his play.

He needs to find ways to stay engaged with the game when he isn't getting goals or dominating possession time.  One thing I saw him adjust against Minnesota was he began going to the net, that is where he found his two goals.  Here against St Louis, other than being the net front give and go pass back, I don't think I've seen Boeser drive towards the net front, I see lot of him surveying from the outskirts of the ice.  

All the top guys have shown up this series, but if we go anywhere, Brock is going to have to be a big part of that too.  He needs to get going here.

Some great insights here and observations. 

I have the feeling that maybe Brock's injured. Either that, or he's intimidated. I get the Minnesota series - hometown team, wanted to play well against them, and he did. But these Blues - they are something else. Maybe those rumours of management exploring the possibility of trading Boeser is because of his injuries - maybe they're not confident that his injuries are behind him, and that the older he gets, the more those injuries could haunt them. Might not be smart to invest in a ton of money for a long time into a player that isn't healthy now, and maybe even less so into the future. 

With that being said. I like Boeser. He's going to be a good player, if he can remain healthy. 

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

I wonder how much trade value he has. IF MIN offered u their 9th overall pick would u do that 1 for 1 for boeser? Personally I would so we can draft the goalie Askarov cuz Demko is 100% gone. Wouldn't mind Holtz either

Also sheds cap space to sign petey and hughes next season cuz they prob both command 10M+ 

That won't happen.  Guerin has already said that this year they might draft by position rather than bpa because they need a C1 and no team is going to trade one so they have to draft him.  They don't believe they have a C1 in the system either.  The Wild also don't have the cap space to add a player without moving cap out. They have key players to sign in a year with Guerin already saying that they are going to have to be prudent because of that.

New Jersey might - Fitzgerald talked of using draft picks to improve their roster.  

Edited by mll

4 hours ago, mll said:

That won't happen.  Guerin has already said that this year they might draft by position rather than bpa because they need a C1 and no team is going to trade one so they have to draft him.  They don't believe they have a C1 in the system either.  The Wild also don't have the cap space to add a player without moving cap out. They have key players to sign in a year with Guerin already saying that they are going to have to be prudent because of that.

New Jersey might - Fitzgerald talked of using draft picks to improve their roster.  

OHHH :O FOR #7 PICK EVEN BETTER. But I feel we need to add. 

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I wouldn't do the trade outright. I think Brock's got more value than just the 9th overall pick. Minny's got to add in my opinion. 

I actually disagree I think. This draft is special. With the top 10 pick you can get the next carey price or a even better sniper. The main issue is we need cap space and by trading brock we save that cap space and maybe even get a top 10 pick. Tbh, I feel if you offered wild that trade they would ask us to add 

8 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I actually disagree I think. This draft is special. With the top 10 pick you can get the next carey price or a even better sniper. The main issue is we need cap space and by trading brock we save that cap space and maybe even get a top 10 pick. Tbh, I feel if you offered wild that trade they would ask us to add 

not this again!!!

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, J-23 said:

No confidence in his game or shot right now. 

Green needs to show him his rookie year highlights.

How do you get the confidence back in a tough series like this one. And the Blues, man, when they're on their game, are intimidating. 

I was listening to the radio the other night and it sounded like the Blues were just toying with the Canucks in their own zone in what felt like the entire period. 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

That's what people always say - that every year this draft is special. Why is this draft so much different than the last one? Or the next one for that matter? Just genuinely asking. 

That's true that if the Canucks traded Brock they would be saving cap space. But with draft picks - they're always a risk and a wild card, right? Boeser is a known commodity at this point. The pick that we get? Unknown. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

That's what people always say - that every year this draft is special. Why is this draft so much different than the last one? Or the next one for that matter? Just genuinely asking. 

That's true that if the Canucks traded Brock they would be saving cap space. But with draft picks - they're always a risk and a wild card, right? Boeser is a known commodity at this point. The pick that we get? Unknown. 

Brock is a known commodity that always gets injured 

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/18/2020 at 11:50 PM, N4ZZY said:

The only time I've seen that said is during value arguments like this. 2020 has always been touted as a great draft because it is top heavy with elite prospects. Lafreniere is projected to be a franchise level winger.

Edited by MrCanuck94

8 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Brock is a known commodity that always gets injured 

I mean, he's a known commodity in the sense that he can produce, and he's still quite young (23 years old). 

He's got some health concerns, but I think that'll iron itself out in the coming years. 

• Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

The only time I've seen that said is during value arguments like this. 2020 has always been touted as a great draft because it is top heavy with elite prospects. Lafreniere is projected to be a franchise level winger.

The Rangers are going to be very good soon then. 

Hearing that 2021 is going to be a great draft for defensemen. is this true? 

5 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Who knows if its true or not. Anything can happen. what else do u want him to say. IM ACTIVELY TRADING BOESER

No. But Benning in his time here has also been quite honest and transparent. Maybe not to the degree where he's saying literally "I'm actively trading Boeser" - but he wouldn't deny it if he was. Sometimes you can find out what a GM might be hiding with their responses. If they're coy with the way they're speaking on certain players, then, there's a chance that said player could be shopped. With that being said, I think Benning has also learned from his mistakes in the past. 

I don't think Boeser is going anywhere. This is his first playoffs, much like the other young guys on our team. He might not be a Pettersson level player, or a Hughes level player, but Brock's pretty good. He's definitely a top six player on this team, and I'd even say on most other teams as well. 

I think he stays a Canuck for a long time. 

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

The Rangers are going to be very good soon then. 

Hearing that 2021 is going to be a great draft for defensemen. is this true? 

The NYR have had the best luck at the NHL draft. Last year they move up 4 spots and pick Kakko 2nd overall, future superstar. This year they will pick another superstar Lafreniere and he should be another star.