The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

Last night was the best game away from the puck that I've seen from Brock since coming into the league.  Was engaged and physically involved, it looked like moving down to Sutter and Roussel's line temporarily in the second period really seemed to solidify in his mind that he needed to be better away from the puck and just get involved.

I'd be showing him the video again of that game and say...."just do that" and everything else will follow suit with those kind of efforts.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Brock is not someone to give up on yet. He seems to struggle somewhat with confidence and adversity. I think he will eventually outgrow this and become a more consistent star. He fits the mold of this up and coming team so I think it's smart to be patient with this young man.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Brock is not someone to give up on yet. He seems to struggle somewhat with confidence and adversity. I think he will eventually outgrow this and become a more consistent star. He fits the mold of this up and coming team so I think it's smart to be patient with this young man.

It's frustrating that that's what people go to when talk about trading him.  It's about reinforcing an area of weakness (d), by sacrificing an area of strength (w).  No other winger is going to get the team the type of dman they need.  It's not about "giving up" on him.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

It's frustrating that that's what people go to when talk about trading him.  It's about reinforcing an area of weakness (d), by sacrificing an area of strength (w).  No other winger is going to get the team the type of dman they need.  It's not about "giving up" on him.

This is true and can be said for most players on the team. But really such an open discussion as what players are worth, especially while struggling, is up to what's offered by other teams. 

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

No. But Benning in his time here has also been quite honest and transparent. Maybe not to the degree where he's saying literally "I'm actively trading Boeser" - but he wouldn't deny it if he was. Sometimes you can find out what a GM might be hiding with their responses. If they're coy with the way they're speaking on certain players, then, there's a chance that said player could be shopped. With that being said, I think Benning has also learned from his mistakes in the past. 

I don't think Boeser is going anywhere. This is his first playoffs, much like the other young guys on our team. He might not be a Pettersson level player, or a Hughes level player, but Brock's pretty good. He's definitely a top six player on this team, and I'd even say on most other teams as well. 

I think he stays a Canuck for a long time. 

I dont think he will be a canuck for a long time. I think petey and hughes are most likely canuck for life. Horvat will also stay longer than boeser. Benning learned his lesson for being transparent where he got fined. Yes, it was another team's player but still, you don't reveal your hand. If hes looking at trading him, he wont say hes trading him because that might lower his value. If anything, boeser is def a touchable player whereas petey and hughes are absolutely untouchable 

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

oh hey  we could get rid of your boy Jake lol

In the right match up and line arrangement, I think Brock can still be an effective scorer.

The point was made during the season that Brock may be better with Horvat and I personally think that is true.  To me their games are more complimentary, and Pearson is a guy who both has a dangerous shot but can also win board battles during a cycle play with the Horvat and Brock to create scoring chances.

Pettersson and Brock are obviously extremely skilled players but I actually still don't see them together as an ideal fit.  Miller and Pettersson have been an amazing duo and, to round out the line, I personally think that Toffoli or the Jake we saw for a few minutes last night are better fits with them.

The great thing about Brock right now is that he's just doing whatever he can to help the team.  Hopefully we'll see him start scoring goals again soon.

I mean he looked better off the puck because he missed his man on the 2nd goal and got taken off the top line because of it.  Did not think he played all that great of a game tbh.  Doesn't mean I want him traded but at some point the Nucks are going to have to move a top 6 forward to upgrade the defense.

5 hours ago, wildcam said:

The NYR have had the best luck at the NHL draft. Last year they move up 4 spots and pick Kakko 2nd overall, future superstar. This year they will pick another superstar Lafreniere and he should be another star.  

Question down the road is can they retain and keep all those "superstars" on their roster. 

But yeah, damn those Rangers. 

Can you imagine if the Canucks were to make it to the finals down the road, only to face the Rangers with Lafreniere and Kakko as well as who knows who else they're going to get. 

Wish we could have the same luck and win the lottery for once to add to an already awesome core. 

• Cheers 1

I'm genuinely worried about Boeser's wrist. You don't go from a top 10 shot in the league to what he's shown this year with his shot. His speed can come back to him, I'm sure, and he's already a smart player offensively and defensively, but that shot has disappeared. If this is the case, I hope he can seek some world class help on how to rehabilitate the wrist.

Will be interesting when Boesers contract is up if we can keep him? 

I still think Boeser is 25-35 goal guy maybe 68 point playing with Petey...I would not be paying him over 6 million Dollars in his next contract...

So far 2 goals in this years playoffs after 9 games.. He is 23 yrs old and things can change but so far after 3 seasons that is my thought..

1 hour ago, playboi19 said:

Boeser was all world until Clutterbucked it up.

His shot was already gone before that. He’s had too many injuries and surgeries on his wrist. Just look at how taped up it is when he’s on the bench. His shot is never going to be like it was in his rookie season and he just doesn’t have the speed or agility to do much else. Unless he wants to re-sign for around the same price I hope we trade him. He really doesn’t bring much without his shot and how slow he is, and this is coming from a huge Boeser fan. Injuries suck... I bet if Virtanen had the same ice time, line mates and pp opportunities he’d probably out score this version of Boeser. Just look how much more effective the Petey line looked when Boeser and Virt traded places. 

Bieksa giving Boeser some love for how his game has evolved since his first season. His strength and tenaciousness when it comes to battling. It sucks that Boes hasn't gotten his wrist shot back since his big injury, but good players are able to compensate, and that's exactly what he's done. Glad to see Juice giving him some credit. That guy knows his $&!# ;)

On 8/17/2020 at 11:09 PM, Phil_314 said:

I feel like he's been misused as a power play weapon.  Like Ovie, Laine and Stamkos his success initially came from that left dot, but his current placement behind the net is not using his strengths, nor is it helping the team direct pucks to the net.

My question would be, if coach knows what Brock's skills are (one-timer, snipe), and what Miller's skills are (tips, plus he has size to battle and the hands to work in tight), then would he not be flexible enough to establish the triangle up top, and put Miller and Horvat as bumper and net-presence respectively?  That would generate two sections of attack (down-low with Miller and Bo, plus both can tip and jam for pucks) and three one-timer options up top.

Quinn
           /               \ 
     Pete  <----->  Brock 
               Miller

Horvat

Binnington    

Great to see them put him back in a position to thrive on his goal.  Must've taken some confidence boosting before Coach thought he had it in him, but glad he got the monkey off his back.

6 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

His shot was already gone before that. He’s had too many injuries and surgeries on his wrist. Just look at how taped up it is when he’s on the bench. His shot is never going to be like it was in his rookie season and he just doesn’t have the speed or agility to do much else. Unless he wants to re-sign for around the same price I hope we trade him. He really doesn’t bring much without his shot and how slow he is, and this is coming from a huge Boeser fan. Injuries suck... I bet if Virtanen had the same ice time, line mates and pp opportunities he’d probably out score this version of Boeser. Just look how much more effective the Petey line looked when Boeser and Virt traded places. 

Did you see his shot tonight?

I will say Boeser looked a lot better with Bo/Miller than with Petey/Miller. Probably cause he is able to get more touches and Horvat's good at driving the net, drawing guys in and creating space for others.

I wonder if we could try Petey with Pearson and Virtanen till Tofu comes back then replace one of Pearson/Virtanen. Pearson has a good shot and net front skills and if Virtanen keeps up his play and speed he'll create a lot of space.

On 8/17/2020 at 11:09 PM, Phil_314 said:

I feel like he's been misused as a power play weapon.  Like Ovie, Laine and Stamkos his success initially came from that left dot, but his current placement behind the net is not using his strengths, nor is it helping the team direct pucks to the net.

The current setup with him in front of the net (ultimately to the side of it) doesn't work as he's not one to set screens and try for tips or jam the net, and while he's technically a passing "option", Bo the bumper in front is clearly double-teamed to prevent the one-timer.  With that Brock has to resort to banking it off the wall to Miller and/ or Hughes which is all the way along the half wall or blue-line, but they never get to attack the danger zone areas right in the middle of the Blues' diamond setup.  The only current shooting threats are Quinn and Miller up top, and even Pete's one-timer is looking more predictable as there's no one-time threat to Quinn's left, while everyone can home in on Miller or Hughes if they're just attacking in isolation from a distance. 

My question would be, if coach knows what Brock's skills are (one-timer, snipe), and what Miller's skills are (tips, plus he has size to battle and the hands to work in tight), then would he not be flexible enough to establish the triangle up top, and put Miller and Horvat as bumper and net-presence respectively?  That would generate two sections of attack (down-low with Miller and Bo, plus both can tip and jam for pucks) and three one-timer options up top.

Quinn
           /               \ 
     Pete  <----->  Brock 
               Miller

Horvat

Allen

It's up to you coach.  Don't let your vaunted power play, your bread and butter which is probably the way to get back into the series, go stale.

Looks like TG saw this and made an adjustment....nice work ;)

On 8/18/2020 at 12:45 PM, DontMessMe said:

I wonder how much trade value he has. IF MIN offered u their 9th overall pick would u do that 1 for 1 for boeser? Personally I would so we can draft the goalie Askarov cuz Demko is 100% gone. Wouldn't mind Holtz either

Also sheds cap space to sign petey and hughes next season cuz they prob both command 10M+ 

No!  Definitely not.  I've been looking for a bit more out of Brock lately for sure but when he's shooting and skating hard, anyone would want him on their team.  You have to think about team culture.  JB wants a team to grow together and play for each other.  As long as BB is playing to his level, no way a good GM trades him.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1