The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I still don't get why people think I'd trade because he's not good.......quite the opposite.  I thought he had an abyssmal game 3, but he probably had his best game of the playoffs last night.  He was skating hard and being aggressive.

However, his offense has been going steadily downhill for two years now and that's the element that would bring a big return.  If hes not scoring, he doesn't have much trade value.

I am, however getting tired of this "40 goal potential".  At this point it's a stretch to say he's got 30 goal potential.

well, I know why, its a real thing. His career ppg for the last 3 years is: 0.89, 0.81 and 0.79. Thats with teams learning his strengths and weaknesses and  targeting him more and more each year. And through some injuries. 

56 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

well, I know why, its a real thing. His career ppg for the last 3 years is: 0.89, 0.81 and 0.79. Thats with teams learning his strengths and weaknesses and  targeting him more and more each year. And through some injuries. 

At the same time though the team has improved each year since Boeser entered. Team had 73 points his rookie year, 81 points his sophomore and 78 points in 69 games this year.

His lack of speed and disappearance of his goal scoring make him a less significant threat overall on the team. The root cause of his problems may be stemming from the lasting effects of those back/wrist injuries.

It probably is too early to give up on him but the team is gonna have to make decisions when Hog/Pod are ready and before his next contract

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I still don't get why people think I'd trade because he's not good.......quite the opposite.  I thought he had an abyssmal game 3, but he probably had his best game of the playoffs last night.  He was skating hard and being aggressive.

However, his offense has been going steadily downhill for two years now and that's the element that would bring a big return.  If hes not scoring, he doesn't have much trade value.

I am, however getting tired of this "40 goal potential".  At this point it's a stretch to say he's got 30 goal potential.

59 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I'd say he's likely in the middle of both analysis'. He definately has 30 potential, but not close to 40 until he shows that his accuracy is back.

His statline has regressed because he's regressed. His elite shot used to offset his weak skating ability. Now, he's got an above average shot, playmaking ability and hockey sense, but his skating is still average/below average.

• Vintage 1

I am going to really be curious whether Boeser ends up staying or not.  There is plenty on both sides of the argument on keeping him

Pro's
- right age profile for our core

- fits well with the team chemistry
- has potential to be a perennial 30 goal/70 point player

Con's
- some signs he may not keep progressing and will end up being a complementary 50-60 point guy (not too shabby at all, but a good, not "elite" player)

- his contract structure means he gets really expensive to qualify really soon and with a flat cap may not be good value
- has his family issues and may just want to be nearer home or even just in the USA an easy flight away.. so may not be a Canucks lifer anyways
- He has significant trade value right now and would return us nice assets

There is definitely an argument to reap some rewards for him in trade and then use some of those assets to replace him and then some.  You could get a top 4D and even get a winger with similar production from a cap strapped team.  If you could trade Boeser and end up with Ristolainen and Killorn for example... you are definitely ahead in the short and medium term.

• Upvote 1

Boeser played really well in the playoffs, especially from a effort level standpoint. We knew it was gonna be a learning experience for the kids. We gotta hope he learns ways to produce in the playoffs. Where it's faster and more tightly checked. What works in the regular season doesn't always work in the playoffs. This was an opportunity for him to see that first hand. When pucks weren't going in, his response tells me a lot about him. He battled out there. I like that. He's not someone I wanna get rid of. He has heart and soul. Great locker room guy.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Boeser played really well in the playoffs, especially from a effort level standpoint. We knew it was gonna be a learning experience for the kids. We gotta hope he learns ways to produce in the playoffs. Where it's faster and more tightly checked. What works in the regular season doesn't always work in the playoffs. This was an opportunity for him to see that first hand. When pucks weren't going in, his response tells me a lot about him. He battled out there. I like that. He's not someone I wanna get rid of. He has heart and soul. Great locker room guy.

He wasn't that great IMO and he's the one guy I want to see improve. He struggled with consistency through the playoffs whereas Petey/Miller/Bo were a lot better in those regards. He's played with better linemates this year yet he wasn't as much of a threat as he use to be. You'd think he'd be at least as good as he was with better linemates. Yeah he battled hard, which as good to see, but he's a guy we definitely need to see results from, especially with the goal scoring.

We're paying him almost 6M and his qualifying offer is gonna net him 7.5M+. He is gonna have to be better moving forward. Can't just be a top 6 complimentary guy.

I worry that his injuries to his wrist/back have anchored him down a bit. Hopefully next year he comes back strong and confident.

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He wasn't that great IMO and he's the one guy I want to see improve. He struggled with consistency through the playoffs whereas Petey/Miller/Bo were a lot better in those regards. He's played with better linemates this year yet he wasn't as much of a threat as he use to be. You'd think he'd be at least as good as he was with better linemates. Yeah he battled hard, which as good to see, but he's a guy we definitely need to see results from, especially with the goal scoring.

We're paying him almost 6M and his qualifying offer is gonna net him 7.5M+. He is gonna have to be better moving forward. Can't just be a top 6 complimentary guy.

I worry that his injuries to his wrist/back have anchored him down a bit. Hopefully next year he comes back strong and confident.

I never said he was great, but he played really well in terms of effort level and compete level. Not everyone is Petey or Hughes. This was always about kids getting experience and learning from it.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I never said he was great, but he played really well in terms of effort level and compete level. Not everyone is Petey or Hughes. This was always about kids getting experience and learning from it.

I think I saw the compete level in a handful of the playoff games.

We all know what he is capable of, rookie Brock was a stud. Maybe it's injuries, maybe it's his back again but his health in concerning.

On 8/31/2020 at 5:05 PM, Robert Long said:

Yet he hasn't reached 30 goals yet

On 9/8/2020 at 5:35 PM, shazzam said:

I think I saw the compete level in a handful of the playoff games.

We all know what he is capable of, rookie Brock was a stud. Maybe it's injuries, maybe it's his back again but his health in concerning.

not true, is  compete level meaning he scored? Brock played well thru ought the playoffs. i think we all saw how he would go into the corners and fight for the puck and his passing was great, not like some others who stood watching while other players  went for the puck

Edited by bree2

I don't think anyone wants to throw away Boeser... people are just open to the ide he isn't untouchable.  People also don't think Toffoli is as good as Boeser... but Toffoli PLUS the return in trade for Boeser (like a top pairing RHD of a similar age) is possibly better.

Ideally we have both guys in the top 6 and maybe if we can exit salary that will be possible and we can still upgrade our defence with a capable 2nd pairing RHD like DeMelo.  If we don't have Boeser, even if we re-sign Toffoli... we still need to put someone in the top 6.  Any one of Virtanen, Leivo, or Eriksson are terrible choices.  Even rushing Hoglander and swapping Miller to RW is still a worse choice.

If the deal isn't great for Boeser, we shouldn't do it.  There are opportunities during expansion to retool our D with picking up guys for cheap who can't be protected by their teams.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Really? Petey does so much more than Brock, there not even in the same catagory. Brock is too one dimensional.

have to agree to disagree on that one. I thought he made good progress on his defensive play as the playoffs progressed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On August 31, 2020 at 2:05 PM, Robert Long said:

normally I like your takes on thing but this seems a bit out there to me. Sure he's been struggling but his play away from the puck has actually improved a fair bit this year. In a full healthy year he's still got 40 goal potential. He's nothing like a soft floater like a Nylander e.g. 

I don't think Boeser is a 40 goal scorer...... I feel he will average 25 - 30 goals top..

Last 3 seasons and last year was on pace for 25 goals..

1. 2017 -18 - GP 62 -- 29 G

2. 2018 -19 - GP 69  - 26 G

3. 2019-20 -  GP 57 -  16 G

I would trade Boeser for a top #2 D man and resign Taffoli,  he plays a more complete game and will score 30 goals playing with Petey....

Trade Boeser -- For # 2 D man 

1. Risto - Buffalo -  26, 6'4, 220 - 40 point guy will look good in Vancouver.. Plays big minutes on a poor team in Buffalo..

2. Severson  - Devils  26, 6'2 - Solid 2 way D man

3. Pesce -  Hurricanes 26, 6'4 solid D man

4.Dumba - Minn , 26 , 6'0 -solid D man 

Just a few guys but we need to upgrade the defence on the Canucks this summer...

Edlers 33  needs to play less  minutes 18 - 21 no more 25 mins need him healthy--- Tanev UFA hard miles and injury prone would not sign him over 3.8 million.

Edited by wildcam
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Robert Long said:

have to agree to disagree on that one. I thought he made good progress on his defensive play as the playoffs progressed. 

progress maybe, if so then he still has value enough to be a main piece in getting us a top 2 d man

• Wat 1