thejazz97

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

52 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

So you are ok with Brock getting called out needlessly on CDC? He had to put up with days of fan speculation that he was going to get traded and many who argued he should or suggested that he wasn't the player they thought he was going to be and hacking on him. You read all that right? You think that is ok? You think when he had to come out and defend himself that was ok as well? Your advice to him is don't sweat it everything is fine the way it is?

What did you think when it turns out it was all made up?

Passive on this point is not right.  CDC needs to support players or have reasonable discussion.  Promoting lies and unsubstantiated rumors that hurt our players is not acceptable.  

I’d say it’s more a media problem than it is where threads go on CDC problem. You vastly overestimate how much eyes are on us. In regards to the players. I hated that rumour before it even got debunked. But fans overreacting is not gonna change by moving the rumours thread. Media won’t be less stupid/insensitive by that change either. If anything your outrage should be pointed at Twitter and media heads. Not CDC and where our threads are placed. 

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, if the (loud) vocal minority on here that listen to the talking heads on radio, Twitter etc actually considered their sources...

Then again, WTF would we talk about then? :lol:

You are being tongue in cheek but you raise a really important point.  Does nothing matter as long as we have something to chat about online? Who gets hurt? What's real? What's false?

This is the whole point.  CDC needs to protect the Canuck players from lies and untrue rumors.  

Why have a fan forum if it causes harm to the team? In today's cancel culture it is a nasty place unless the forum is set up to  promote the team and make the fan experience a positive place.

John Cleese says that cancel culture has missed the point of living - which is to have fun. 

CDC should promote having fun and protect great players like Boeser from cancel culture.

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I’d say it’s more a media problem than it is where threads go on CDC problem. You vastly overestimate how much eyes are on us. In regards to the players. I hated that rumour before it even got debunked. But fans overreacting is not gonna change by moving the rumours thread. Media won’t be less stupid/insensitive by that change either. If anything your outrage should be pointed at Twitter and media heads. Not CDC and where our threads are placed. 

CDC is a fan forum. We should support our team and the players. No one else will.

I think you agree with me so let's just leave it at that partner.

Posted (edited)
Quality, quality guy! :canucks:

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Like 2

Another very strong game by Boeser.  And a dirty type goal...even better.

You can sure tell the time off has healed some wounds!

Brock is not having a good series.....looks like he's lost his confidence, a stride in his skating and his laser shot.  I'm asking legitimately.....has his shot ever been the same since before his wrist (?) injury?  Hoping that shot returns! 

2 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Brock is not having a good series.....looks like he's lost his confidence, a stride in his skating and his laser shot.  I'm asking legitimately.....has his shot ever been the same since before his wrist (?) injury?  Hoping that shot returns! 

It is definitely of the utmost importance that he comes to life if they want to see the next round.

Brock seems to have lost a step.  Wondering if he's experiencing back/groin pain.

I feel like he's been misused as a power play weapon.  Like Ovie, Laine and Stamkos his success initially came from that left dot, but his current placement behind the net is not using his strengths, nor is it helping the team direct pucks to the net.

The current setup with him in front of the net (ultimately to the side of it) doesn't work as he's not one to set screens and try for tips or jam the net, and while he's technically a passing "option", Bo the bumper in front is clearly double-teamed to prevent the one-timer.  With that Brock has to resort to banking it off the wall to Miller and/ or Hughes which is all the way along the half wall or blue-line, but they never get to attack the danger zone areas right in the middle of the Blues' diamond setup.  The only current shooting threats are Quinn and Miller up top, and even Pete's one-timer is looking more predictable as there's no one-time threat to Quinn's left, while everyone can home in on Miller or Hughes if they're just attacking in isolation from a distance. 

My question would be, if coach knows what Brock's skills are (one-timer, snipe), and what Miller's skills are (tips, plus he has size to battle and the hands to work in tight), then would he not be flexible enough to establish the triangle up top, and put Miller and Horvat as bumper and net-presence respectively?  That would generate two sections of attack (down-low with Miller and Bo, plus both can tip and jam for pucks) and three one-timer options up top.

Quinn
           /               \ 
     Pete  <----->  Brock 
               Miller

Horvat

Allen

It's up to you coach.  Don't let your vaunted power play, your bread and butter which is probably the way to get back into the series, go stale.

6 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I feel like he's been misused as a power play weapon.  Like Ovie, Laine and Stamkos his success initially came from that left dot, but his current placement behind the net is not using his strengths, nor is it helping the team direct pucks to the net.

The current setup with him in front of the net (ultimately to the side of it) doesn't work as he's not one to set screens and try for tips or jam the net, and while he's technically a passing "option", Bo the bumper in front is clearly double-teamed to prevent the one-timer.  With that Brock has to resort to banking it off the wall to Miller and/ or Hughes which is all the way along the half wall or blue-line, but they never get to attack the danger zone areas right in the middle of the Blues' diamond setup.  The only current shooting threats are Quinn and Miller up top, and even Pete's one-timer is looking more predictable as there's no one-time threat to Quinn's left, while everyone can home in on Miller or Hughes if they're just attacking in isolation from a distance. 

My question would be, if coach knows what Brock's skills are (one-timer, snipe), and what Miller's skills are (tips, plus he has size to battle and the hands to work in tight), then would he not be flexible enough to establish the triangle up top, and put Miller and Horvat as bumper and net-presence respectively?  That would generate two sections of attack (down-low with Miller and Bo, plus both can tip and jam for pucks) and three one-timer options up top.

Quinn
           /               \ 
     Pete  <----->  Brock 
               Miller

Horvat

Allen

It's up to you coach.  Don't let your vaunted power play, your bread and butter which is probably the way to get back into the series, go stale.

It's pretty clear that Miller's shot this season has been far superior to Brock's. This is a powerplay that was #4 in the league and around #1 so far these playoffs (could use a fact check here), and Miller being in the position he is in is a big part of it. I wouldn't change it over one game of bad execution.

I do agree that it's not playing to Brock's strengths, but that's sort of a necessity given our success. I would say that a better option, in my opinion, would be to have him be a key to our PP2 instead at that position that you drew up. 

5 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I mean, he played well against Minny. 

I don't know how a player can lose confidence so quickly. Like are these hockey players that fragile confidence wise??

41 minutes ago, BPA said:

Brock seems to have lost a step.  Wondering if he's experiencing back/groin pain.

Yea. He hasn't had a good series against St. Louis. When the Canucks were winning the first two games - he was overshadowed by Horvat. 

Now that they've lost two in a row - he's been invisible on the ice almost. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Grape said:

It's pretty clear that Miller's shot this season has been far superior to Brock's. This is a powerplay that was #4 in the league and around #1 so far these playoffs (could use a fact check here), and Miller being in the position he is in is a big part of it. I wouldn't change it over one game of bad execution.

I do agree that it's not playing to Brock's strengths, but that's sort of a necessity given our success. I would say that a better option, in my opinion, would be to have him be a key to our PP2 instead at that position that you drew up. 

I'd agree that in terms of velocity and the shooter's conviction in leaning into the shot, Miller's ahead of Boeser at this time. 
The power play has had some success with Miller on the left block, I'll acknowledge that much.
However, even present statistics can become a thing of the past if they can't evolve with the times and overcome the hurdles presented.

Just like the Sedin cycle, I don't think it's too unreasonable to mix up the elements to keep the defense on their toes.  For instance, you see how the Blues have Perron on both the left wall (as a one-time shooter) and on the right (as a threat to either shoot or pass back to Pietrangelo)?  Players are versatile and fresh looks can sometimes be what's needed to generate new success.  I'm not saying EVERY possession has to have Brock back in that point spot but keeping that possibility in the back pocket would again leave the option for more one-timers from different areas which could result in different bounces and tips, which could help collapse the Blues PK.  Instead, in the final PK of the game, Miller and Hughes were literally hammering shots into Blues' skates as they knew that the PP had to get the puck on net and they had Pete's one-timer covered.  In situations like this, is it not time to at least tinker with the wheel, even if they aren't reinventing it?    

I also disagree that he would find success in the 2nd unit which is more of a dump-and-chase group with Gaudette out.  Unless he's the fourth forward at the point next to Edler for one-timers, again I'm not sure whether mucking down low is really his game, especially alongside grinders like Pearson, Sutter and Roussel.

Edited by Phil_314

59 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I'd agree that in terms of velocity and the shooter's conviction in leaning into the shot, Miller's ahead of Boeser at this time. 
The power play has had some success with Miller on the left block, I'll acknowledge that much.
However, even present statistics can become a thing of the past if they can't evolve with the times and overcome the hurdles presented.

Just like the Sedin cycle, I don't think it's too unreasonable to mix up the elements to keep the defense on their toes.  For instance, you see how the Blues have Perron on both the left wall (as a one-time shooter) and on the right (as a threat to either shoot or pass back to Pietrangelo)?  Players are versatile and fresh looks can sometimes be what's needed to generate new success.  I'm not saying EVERY possession has to have Brock back in that point spot but keeping that possibility in the back pocket would again leave the option for more one-timers from different areas which could result in different bounces and tips, which could help collapse the Blues PK.  Instead, in the final PK of the game, Miller and Hughes were literally hammering shots into Blues' skates as they knew that the PP had to get the puck on net and they had Pete's one-timer covered.  In situations like this, is it not time to at least tinker with the wheel, even if they aren't reinventing it?    

I also disagree that he would find success in the 2nd unit which is more of a dump-and-chase group with Gaudette out.  Unless he's the fourth forward at the point next to Edler for one-timers, again I'm not sure whether mucking down low is really his game, especially alongside grinders like Pearson, Sutter and Roussel.

Exactly, you go in a 7 game playoff series, you need to make adjustments. Its not the regular season where you face one team, then a different team the next game. The PP has to adapt, because right now, its obvious that all the puck moving is ending up at Peteys stick and the blues basically have a wall ready when he's one timing it. I see Miller have the puck on the left wall and sometimes drove me nuts that he's just looking to pass, when theres a clear shot. They need to have Brock on that side once in awhile so theres a shooting threat. Its just Petey and Quinn shooting right now in the PP

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Exactly, you go in a 7 game playoff series, you need to make adjustments. Its not the regular season where you face one team, then a different team the next game. The PP has to adapt, because right now, its obvious that all the puck moving is ending up at Peteys stick and the blues basically have a wall ready when he's one timing it. I see Miller have the puck on the left wall and sometimes drove me nuts that he's just looking to pass, when theres a clear shot. They need to have Brock on that side once in awhile so theres a shooting threat. Its just Petey and Quinn shooting right now in the PP

too predictable 

Miller took Brock's spot on the PP because Miller has been better there. Until Brock gets his wrist shot back or starts shooting more one tee's, Miller will likely stay there.

As for Brock this series, it could be that he hasn't lost a step, rather the Blues are a faster team.

If only we could give Jake's speed to Brock, that is my only flaw with Brock is I wish he was a bit quicker or had that extra gear like Jake or Bo to drive to the net. We could always move Brock to the 2nd PP unit to make him the "go to" target for a one timer on the left side.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

too predictable 

Instead of simply critiquing and pointing out issues, what has been your contribution?

All you've done in your past 3 replies is point out shortcomings and give two-word, non-elaborated responses that provide nothing to the discussion.   
If Coach Green had your mentality the team's packing its bags by Friday.

Edited by Phil_314