The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

Good start. If Boeser can become that goal scorer he was back in his rookie season on top of how he matured his overall game he'll be extremely dangerous. 

He could put himself back in the conversation of one of the best goal scorers of 2015, A draft that includes the likes of McDavid, Eichel, Rantanen, Aho, Conner and others. To stand out as a goal scorer among those players would be special.

Perhaps he could challenge Matthews for best American sniper.

Here's hoping.

I see a lot of people talking about BB's shot but what I really noticed in the snippets of camp that I could get to see and then watching the recorded game last night was how much quicker he seems than at any point over the past two years.   Look at a number of the line rushes from the game and it looks more like the BB that blew past Dmen in college with frequency.   That speed combined with an elite shot could easily have him back to where expecting a full season of 30 to 35 goals should be his basement and not his ceiling.    

21 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I see a lot of people talking about BB's shot but what I really noticed in the snippets of camp that I could get to see and then watching the recorded game last night was how much quicker he seems than at any point over the past two years.   Look at a number of the line rushes from the game and it looks more like the BB that blew past Dmen in college with frequency.   That speed combined with an elite shot could easily have him back to where expecting a full season of 30 to 35 goals should be his basement and not his ceiling.    

I had the same takeaway (as you can see in my post above). Brock’s improved skating was a revelation last game.

There were several times he went at defenders, and guys who were very familiar with him, and had faced him numerous times, and they were forced to rethink how they defend Boeser and recalculate their gaps on him. He turned a few guys around and blew past them with a quick burst of speed that represent a gear that I don’t remember him ever having before at the NHL level.

Whatever fine tuning he did on his shot is obviously a great addition to his sniper game, but the improvements he’s made to his skating are IMO going to have an even larger effect on his play this season. His top end speed is much faster, and his acceleration, especially going from maybe 80% to 100%, is just at another level. He looks to have far more power and explosiveness in his legs, and is now able to tap into another gear, and quickly blow past defenders, which is something he has never really had as a pro and versus pro level skaters.

Like I said in the earlier post, there were moments last game where my eyes read a “plus level” NHL skater, and I almost had to do a double take and jersey number check, before I could believe it was Brock Boeser showing off those wheels.

• Cheers 3

22 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I had the same takeaway (as you can see in my post above). Brock’s improved skating was a revelation last game.

There were several times he went at defenders, and guys who were very familiar with him, and had faced him numerous times, and they were forced to rethink how they defend Boeser and recalculate their gaps on him. He turned a few guys around and blew past them with a quick burst of speed that represent a gear that I don’t remember him ever having before at the NHL level.

Whatever fine tuning he did on his shot is obviously a great addition to his sniper game, but the improvements he’s made to his skating are IMO going to have an even larger effect on his play this season. His top end speed is much faster, and his acceleration, especially going from maybe 80% to 100%, is just at another level. He looks to have far more power and explosiveness in his legs, and is now able to tap into another gear, and quickly blow past defenders, which is something he has never really had as a pro and versus pro level skaters.

Like I said in the earlier post, there were moments last game where my eyes read a “plus level” NHL skater, and I almost had to do a double take and jersey number check, before I could believe it was Brock Boeser showing off those wheels.

I noticed that as well. Because Virtanen was on that line and is also a RH shot, I thought it was Jake. But surprise, surprise, in a very good way.

Boeser flows into the top 50 in all-time Canuck scoring with his 3 points tonight.  Hopefully the Canucks can win a game where he doesn't score 2 goals, or, you know, maybe he can score about 80 this year.

49.  Andrew Cassels C 198 40 128 168
50.  Brock Boeser RW 202 79 87 166
51.  Tiger Williams LW 312 83 82 165
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Boeser flows into the top 50 in all-time Canuck scoring with his 3 points tonight.  Hopefully the Canucks can win a game where he doesn't score 2 goals, or, you know, maybe he can score about 80 this year.

49.  Andrew Cassels C 198 40 128 168
50.  Brock Boeser RW 202 79 87 166
51.  Tiger Williams LW 312 83 82 165

Hoping to see Boeser maybe get to his 100th goal and 200th point this year!

• Cheers 3

Boeser counting his lucky starts while leaping Cassels into 49th in all-time Canuck scoring.  He'd probably be top 40 if Matt Murray played in same division as the Canucks every year.  Let's Jedi mind trick Holland into trading for Murray next year :emot-parrot:

48.  Martin Gelinas LW 258 90 81 171
49.  Brock Boeser RW 207 81 89 170
50.  Andrew Cassels C 198 40 128 168
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's ok, I think @stawns still wants to trade him :P

I absolutely would have, for a young, top 4 dman a pick and sign Toffoli.  Without question.  If they had, they'd still have the offense, but have a more complete player and they'd have a young top 4 dman

I've never said he's not good offensively, but that he's invisible when he's not scoring.  That's still true.

• Haha 2

There's nothing wrong in the idea of wanting to trade Boeser (if you did not believe he would come back to form) for a top pair d-man and having a solid stop gap at the position such as Toffoli who has very good chemistry with Miller and Petey regardless of his career PPG.

I myself wasn't sure if Boeser could regain his rookie form, but fortunately I was proven wrong.

It's not just his shot, he looks quicker and he's making smart plays consistently. Let's hope he keeps it up moving forward.

• Like 1

Everyone was saying how much faster and stronger he and his shot looked in the short training camp. He sounds like he worked hard in the off-season and has come into the year on fire, he's leading the league in goals right now and when he's got the puck on his stick with a clear shot at net you think it's going in a lot of the time.

8 goals in 11 games is a real tear, but we can't forget he was on pace not that long ago for 35-40 goals in a season. Brock has really flown under the radar last season with Miller and Pettersson taking control, but right now he's one of if not our best forward. Hope this continues for him, Brock can certainly have streaky periods as can Petey but with a consistently-producing Miller, as long as one or both are hot at any one time, our top line will always be a threat.

I'm expecting a 40-goal pace from Brock this season, and that's a lot considering he's up against some very strong goalies and defences (apart from Edmonton and Ottawa).

5 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

There's nothing wrong in the idea of wanting to trade Boeser (if you did not believe he would come back to form) for a top pair d-man and having a solid stop gap at the position such as Toffoli who has very good chemistry with Miller and Petey regardless of his career PPG.

I myself wasn't sure if Boeser could regain his rookie form, but fortunately I was proven wrong.

It's not just his shot, he looks quicker and he's making smart plays consistently. Let's hope he keeps it up moving forward.

You watch the iPad between shifts and you learn stuff. :bigblush:

• Haha 1