The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guillaume Brisebois | D

From the guy who was whining about our picks this morning in the draft threads. How ironic.

I never pretend to know who we should have picked though.

Based on simple stats alone, none of them blew me away.

After looking deeper at some of them I've definitely come around however.

Why do people post in every thread "should have picked so and so"?

If you have some inside knowledge as to what any of these players wil become, pease let us know. Otherwise "should have picked" means absolutely nothing.

My "inside knowledge" is of scout rankings and personal knowledge from research. Vande Sompel is the better pick, doesn't take rocket science to see it.

Didn't know much about him but from reading the scouting reports and hearing him speak I really like this pick. Seems like a really good kid with a great head on his shoulders. He says he models his game after Vlasic and if he can even become half of the player Vlasic is I would be pleased.

My "inside knowledge" is of scout rankings and personal knowledge from research. Vande Sompel is the better pick, doesn't take rocket science to see it.

The better pick is the guy who actually pans out and plays in the NHL, not all scouts get it right, not all GM picks pan out and some random off the board picks actually become studs..

Hindsight is a wonderful thing we all want it but can't manage to see into the future so c'est la vie.

The better pick is the guy who actually pans out and plays in the NHL, not all scouts get it right, not all GM picks pan out and some random off the board picks actually become studs..

Hindsight is a wonderful thing we all want it but can't manage to see into the future so c'est la vie.

I don't understand what your argument is? You're just stating random facts. You can't perfectly predict who will pan out, but you can make an educated guess. If all GMs had your mentality they would just pick the next available player on MyNHLDraft.com and would never scout anybody, because you never know anyways, right?

What will help his development is being the Captain and playing against all the other teams best players all the time.

Him being a captain for his junior team doesn't say too much tbh, at least not for me. Because again, he's playing on the worst team in the QMJHL, so i doubt there's a lot of guys who's qualified to be captain. Him being a captain (and a defenseman) might also be one of the reasons why our management are sold on this pick, which is something i really don't like. We know that they like their "attitude guys", we know that they love their "big guys that can skate". We also know that not a lot of QMJHL defenseman have made the NHL over the years. Not that i'm totally against drafting defensemen from the QMJHL, this year, i liked Zboril, J.Roy and Chabot, while Meloche could've been a solid 2nd round pick. Just don't think that Brisebrois is the type of guy you take with an early 3rd round pick, a low reward type of player.

To me, it feels like management got desperate to pick a defenseman just for the sake of picking a defenseman, because they've been talking for months about getting more depth on defense, and they didn't pick a defenseman until the 3rd round, which should be seen as a failure. The chance of you getting a legit top4 defenseman in the 3rd round is pretty low. And as has already been mentioned, it's mindboggling that we didn't try to trade up when guys like Dunn and Kylington were picked in a span of just 10 picks.

To me, it feels like management got desperate to pick a defenseman just for the sake of picking a defenseman, because they've been talking for months about getting more depth on defense, and they didn't pick a defenseman until the 3rd round, which should be seen as a failure. The chance of you getting a legit top4 defenseman in the 3rd round is pretty low. And as has already been mentioned, it's mindboggling that we didn't try to trade up when guys like Dunn and Kylington were picked in a span of just 10 picks.

Yeah, because a career scout GM with an entire scouting staff got completely flustered and had no idea what to do despite a year plus of planning and scrutiny, so he grabbed Craig Button's list and circled the highest one not yet taken and said, "I dunno, let's just go with that guy."

Seems like Benning prefers two-way meat-and-potatoes on the back end versus high-end skill...

We can get a franchise d man or elite dman next year with our top 10 pick. (Which might be the outcome unless some of our youth can step in and take on bigger roleS and put up points)