The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guillaume Brisebois | D

I often wonder rather than sign marginal FA D for inflated Cap hit's why they don't give these prospects a try. I recall when Sautner was up at the end of the previous season he didn't look out of place. Bisebois looked tentative but OK when he played a couple of games. Is this  Green preference or management choice

22 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I often wonder rather than sign marginal FA D for inflated Cap hit's why they don't give these prospects a try. I recall when Sautner was up at the end of the previous season he didn't look out of place. Bisebois looked tentative but OK when he played a couple of games. Is this  Green preference or management choice

I think it's more a timing/development issue. They wanted those guys getting lots of minutes and developing as long as possible in Utica so they're good and ready to step in now. 

I fully expect a couple of Brisebois, Sautner and Rafferty will be depth D for us next year.

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

I think Breeze will push for a spot next year.  He was one of the final cuts last year because he had (I thought) a really good training camp.  He's only 22.  Once he gets experience/confidence in the NHL I could see him taking a big step in his development as a reliable 2 way defender.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I think Breeze will push for a spot next year.  He was one of the final cuts last year because he had (I thought) a really good training camp.  He's only 22.  Once he gets experience/confidence in the NHL I could see him taking a big step in his development as a reliable 2 way defender.  

I tend to think that confidence is an issue for the youngster. The games I watched too often he would just get rid of the puck when he seemed to be doing OK. I've only seen him a couple of times, similar in some ways to Teves who looked tentative. Both have a future in the game be it here or with another team. Rafferty seemed to confident and made his plays

47 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I tend to think that confidence is an issue for the youngster. The games I watched too often he would just get rid of the puck when he seemed to be doing OK. I've only seen him a couple of times, similar in some ways to Teves who looked tentative. Both have a future in the game be it here or with another team. Rafferty seemed to confident and made his plays

I noticed he was very heads up in training camp/pre season.  His battle level is also very under rated.  I think he's got the foundation to be a good dman.  Might not put the points up, but he compliments his d partner well like Tanev.  

• Cheers 2

On 1/17/2020 at 11:06 AM, Fred65 said:

Interesting he and Chatfield are like the forgotten men in Vcrs plans. The couple of times I saw Brisebois he didn't look strong on the puck and could be stripped of it by a stronger NHL player

Yeah, he’s listed at 6’3” 189, but he plays a lot stronger than that now. Only my opinion, but I’d guess he’s over 200 lbs now.

10 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, he’s listed at 6’3” 189, but he plays a lot stronger than that now. Only my opinion, but I’d guess he’s over 200 lbs now.

Nice to see both of these players amongst the Black Aces chose by Vcr for the play-offs should they materialize. Recognition if nothing else 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2020 at 4:23 PM, Fred65 said:

Nice to see both of these players amongst the Black Aces chose by Vcr for the play-offs should they materialize. Recognition if nothing else 

I'm really liking the development in Brisebois' game.

Although he'll never be an offensive star, he could, quietly, become a stalwart, third pairing defender for us, maybe more so then any of our other defensive prospects.

His biggest advantage is that he can play both sides.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

I'm really liking the development in Brisebois' game.

Although he'll never be an offensive star, he could, quietly, become a stalwart, third pairing defender for us, maybe more so then any of our other defensive prospects.

His biggest advantage is that he can play both sides.

My quesstion is remind me why we needed to sign Benn @ $2.0 mill when we has equivalent players in Utica .... or indeed better. Sautner played a number of games before and never looked out of place. This is just poor Cap managment IMHO

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

My quesstion is remind me why we needed to sign Benn @ $2.0 mill when we has equivalent players in Utica .... or indeed better. Sautner played a number of games before and never looked out of place. This is just poor Cap managment IMHO

Sautner has played 23 nhl games

Been has played 517

I'd say Benn was signed for his experience, the team might have thought that since Hughes did well with Luke Schenn, a somewhat similar d man would also work.

• Huggy Bear 2

It's time to promote within....we have players now who have developed over the last 3 years who are not kids anymore and are waiting for their opportunity....it's time to give them a real chance instead of judging them now and saying they are not good enough when they haven't been given a chance yet...it's time to give them a real chance.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pete M said:

when they haven't been given a chance yet...it's time to give them a real chance.

Chances are either earned, or occur due to injury. Very rarely is anyone given a chance.

5 minutes ago, Pete M said:

It's time to promote within

I think you are right,  now there is finally enough depth on the farm to start moving up.

Rafferty will likely make next seasons team

Lockwood and Bailey will play a few games next season

Lind might get a few next year, and has a shot of making the team for 2022-23

MacEwan is already here.

Rathbone likely  by next season or the one after

If I'm Jordie Benn  I'm worrying Sautner, Chatfield or Brisebois will take my job.

• Cheers 1

I watched Brisebois and he looked pretty darn close to me. Good size, good reach smooth skater but looked nervous, he'll beat that with familiarity and getting into his comfort zone. To me he's shown more than Juolevi. I don't for the life of me understand why Benning went with Benn rather than Briesbois 

• Cheers 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/17/2020 at 7:51 AM, Fred65 said:

I watched Brisebois and he looked pretty darn close to me. Good size, good reach smooth skater but looked nervous, he'll beat that with familiarity and getting into his comfort zone. To me he's shown more than Juolevi. I don't for the life of me understand why Benning went with Benn rather than Briesbois 

Benn was seen as bottom pair insurance who could play up the line up if need be.  He also could play either side.  And the thing is, this was known.  Briesbois was a player who they hoped would progress to be an NHL player.  That's the simple difference.  

In hindsight, Fantenberg performed better but he was a known commodity as well.  

We know that Benning felt that this team needed to make the playoffs to make the next step and he went overboard to achieve this.  I'm also talking about the addition of Ferland (and the demotion of Baertschi).  This was overkill imo 

On the other hand, from a longer term perspective, after last season, Briesbois has more upside and his qualifying offer confirms that Benning knows this.

Competition for the 3LD spot between Briesbois, Rathbone, Juolevi, Teves and Sautner is a healthy thing