The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guillaume Brisebois | D

McKeen’s had him ranked 41st overall and picked him out as the 4th best defensive defenceman available in the draft. Unlike many other prospects labelled as defensive defenceman, Brisebois is known more for his skating, intelligence, and skill. McKeen’s calls him a “confident puckmover” who is “calm under pressure and will not make mistakes trying to get cute.” His skating is “crisp” and he has “mobility and quickness in all directions, particularly backwards.”

He passes well thanks to his calm demeanour and vision. McKeen’s likes his hockey sense and positioning and says he is “adept at intercepting passes and controlling the play through the neutral zone.” He’s a “low-risk defenceman who plays a structured game.” They also that he sometimes had to play 40 minutes per game, leading to some fatigue by the end of the season.

The negatives: he needs to “work on his shot” as he “lacks the heavy release of… other defencemen” and needs to “improve his play in puck battles along the boards.”

McKeen’s compares Brisebois to Marc Staal, but I and others see a lot of Chris Tanev in the scouting reports. It remains to be seen whether he’ll ever be as good as Tanev or even make the NHL, but Brisebois doesn’t raise the same red flags like other “defensive defencemen.”

• Upvote 1

This player is a keeper, sure this team and others have had trouble with transitioning long-shot, low upside QD in the past, but Benning knows what he's doing, and I am 100% sure the Canucks will buck the trend, based on absolutely nothing.

This player is a keeper, sure this team and others have had trouble with transitioning long-shot, low upside QD in the past, but Benning knows what he's doing, and I am 100% sure the Canucks will buck the trend, based on absolutely nothing.

lol, I know how much you hate dmen from the Q.

Pretty sure JB feels Brisebois and Kylington's upside are similar or he would have moved up but this is up to debate but I would give JB the benefit of the doubt when it comes to scouting.

Will be better than Kylington. Quote it.

"Had you acquired a late second you would have taken Brisebois there?" (i.e. with Kylington on the board)

"Yeah." -- Trevor Linden

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/linden-realize-lack-deal-not-a-popular-move-1.319655

4:00 minute mark

"Had you acquired a late second you would have taken Brisebois there?" (i.e. with Kylington on the board)

"Yeah." -- Trevor Linden

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/linden-realize-lack-deal-not-a-popular-move-1.319655

4:00 minute mark

Justifies the lack deal there

A player they wanted in the second rd from the Bieksa trade but dropped to there pick from the lack deal

Pfft. Keepers are the guys who make their WJC squads. Like Ehlers.

Pfft. Keepers are the guys who make their WJC squads. Like Ehlers.

That's hardly a qualifier. Cody Hodgson was dominant in the WJC's and he wasn't a keeper.

I think that there's a pretty good chance that we'll buck the trend with this pick and he'll become a good NHLer. This is based on absolutely nothing. Sometimes you just have to act on blind faith and the belief that the GM knows what he's doing. He and his scouts are not some teenagers looking at a few youtube videos.

Do people still actually think plus/minus is a useful or insightful at all?

If people still actually use plus/minus I hope that they know that generally the best players on very bad teams normally have among the worst plus/minus on that team.

I don't understand those people who are saying that his numbers aren't good. His numbers are actually fairly good for a third round defenceman when you adjust for age and team quality.

Do people still actually think plus/minus is a useful or insightful at all?

If people still actually use plus/minus I hope that they know that generally the best players on very bad teams normally have among the worst plus/minus on that team.

I don't understand those people who are saying that his numbers aren't good. His numbers are actually fairly good for a third round defenceman when you adjust for age and team quality.

but if da puck goes in when bud is on da ice how can he be gud?! :frantic:

You think he would say "No"?

Duh.

:sadno:

I'm more then happy, this pick is a steal. I saw few games on the World Championship U18 and he was very,very good. First pairing (shut down D-men) for team Canada and first unit PK. Bathurst was a very poor team and I think that will be the same next year. I don't understand how we picked him in the third around for me he's a second rounder!! Good job Benning !!

g0t any youtube links? Would love to watch

Does the description of brisebois kinda remind you of someone? I think tanev might finally have someone to share his cigarettes with on the back end.

Benning happened to compare him to Tanev on his TSN1040 interview this morning, so there you go.

Someone from the Canucks staff had said they had Kylington rated lower than many/most teams.

'Someone' eh? That sounds purposefully vague.

Edited by elvis15

From the video, you can see he's an effortless skater and is good positionally. Offensively seems to have good instincts but lacks the offensive ability to do damage. A slick little floater from the point which are the most dangerous but seems like he has to practice his shot. His first few strides are a bit slow too but not overly big a of a deal.