The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dmitry Zhukenov | C

Zhukenov has been demoted to Chance Liga (formerly WSM Liga, the Czech 2nd tier), assigned to LHK Jestrabi Prostejov, where he's played one game.

Only played 8 minutes that one game and put up zeroes individually, although he did have good Corsi numbers (not that single game Corsi over 8 minutes of ice on a 4th line is anything special--just grasping at straws to find something positive here).

Looks like he was healthy scratched for their most recent game.

Pretty discouraging if he can't even catch on with a team at that level. For comparison's sake, when Lukáš Jašek played several games at that level the previous couple seasons, he was a point per game player, often a staple on the top line, and earning 20+ minutes of ice time. Jašek and Zhukenov are the same age and same draft year. Jašek is now signed to an ELC and developing well in Utica. Zhukenov has been loaned between leagues, demoted, and is having trouble cracking a second tier Czech league lineup at 21 years of age.

Hopefully it's just an adjustment period and he'll get on track soon. But not looking good right now.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

For all CDCers losing sleep wondering about Dmitry Zhukenov ! It's been a while, but it seems he is now playing for AZ Havirov in the Czech 'Chance Liga' ( 2nd tier ). He scored a goal and will hopefully play more than one game and find a home. Has now played 3 games this season and is on his 3rd team ! As I always hope for the best, I expect him to totally turn his career towards the positive !

Edited by SingleThorn
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

DZ with a goal today. On his 4th team this season. Now in the VHL ( Russia, one notch below KHL ) Hope he turns things around, but it has been a terrible year for him !

I wonder what his contract status is and if there is a possibility that he could perhaps sign an ATO with Utica at the end of his season in Europe? Maybe follow in the footsteps of Jasek who also had a very difficult situation in Europe and has done reasonably well since making the trek to North America. He looked promising in a development camp a few years back.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Going to play with Tryamkin? ^^

Well, hopefully. But given Zhukenov’s development journey so far, I’d expect he’s more likely bound for Gornyak Uchaly (VHL—the Russian second tier “farm” league, affiliated with Avtomobilist). Would be great though if he can turn the corner and actually get some meaningful games next season with the parent club in the KHL.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:18 PM, JamesBlondage said:

According to Russian Prospects twitter account Zhukenov has been traded to Avtomobilist.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RUSProspects/status/1139566230778601473

Actually Zhukenov was traded by Avangard to Metallurg in Dec 2018. Recently the player has terminated his contract with Metallurg and signed two-way contract with Avtomobilist for 2 years.

14 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Actually Zhukenov was traded by Avangard to Metallurg in Dec 2018. Recently the player has terminated his contract with Metallurg and signed two-way contract with Avtomobilist for 2 years.

Does not seem to likely that he will ever play in the NHL as he will be 24 by the time his new contract runs out.

4 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Do the Canucks still own his rights?

Yes. So long as he remains under contract in Russia, the Canucks should hold “indefinite” rights. 

Interestingly, I believe if he had signed a deal this summer in a league with a transfer agreement (SHL, Liiga, etc), he would have become a free agent (when it comes to his NHL rights).

And if he ever terminates his KHL deal and signs in another league with a transfer agreement, the Canucks will lose their rights (although I believe those rights would actually be reinstated if he went back to the KHL after doing this).

His normal draft rights (4 years) expired on June 1st of this year.

But KHL players are considered “defected” because they are under contract in a league with no transfer agreement, so the Canucks can hold onto Zhukenov’s NHL rights basically forever (so long as he stays under contract in the Russian leagues).

The rights also don’t end (like Tryamkin) at age 27 because he’s never held an NHL contract, so that aspect of NHL free agency doesn’t apply to Zhukenov.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 4

• 1 year later...

First post in this thread in over a year. :lol: 5 points in 6 VHL games. Maybe Bill Peters gives him a shot with the big club at some point? He's 23 and we hold his rights until 2024. I always thought he had an intriguing skillset and very high hockey IQ. I remember he looked like he was only 13 when we drafted him...

4 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

First post in this thread in over a year. :lol: 5 points in 6 VHL games. Maybe Bill Peters gives him a shot with the big club at some point? He's 23 and we hold his rights until 2024. I always thought he had an intriguing skillset and very high hockey IQ. I remember he looked like he was only 13 when we drafted him...

See above your post about his rights. He looked promising in juniors and I was hoping we would get a look with him in the AHL. Too bad that never worked out.

10 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Good to learn he's doing well. 5 points in 6 GP in the VHL is pretty solid production for Russia's version of the AHL. Also leads his team and puts him top-20 for that league (albeit very early in the season).

Zhukenov is definitely low on the radar, as far as our prospects go. Probably most of us (including me) have pretty much written him off. Would be some big time "found money" if he managed to become a player with legitimate NHL potential. I suppose the first step is him earning a call-up to the KHL level, and then hopefully continuing to put up some numbers.

As far as his rights, why would they expire in 2024? AFAIK, we hold them indefinitely, as he's never been signed, so I don't think even the age 27 free agency timeline would actually trigger an end to the Canucks' draft rights.

14 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Good to learn he's doing well. 5 points in 6 GP in the VHL is pretty solid production for Russia's version of the AHL. Also leads his team and puts him top-20 for that league (albeit very early in the season).

Zhukenov is definitely low on the radar, as far as our prospects go. Probably most of us (including me) have pretty much written him off. Would be some big time "found money" if he managed to become a player with legitimate NHL potential. I suppose the first step is him earning a call-up to the KHL level, and then hopefully continuing to put up some numbers.

As far as his rights, why would they expire in 2024? AFAIK, we hold them indefinitely, as he's never been signed, so I don't think even the age 27 free agency timeline would actually trigger an end to the Canucks' draft rights.

Okay that straightens things up for me. Thanks!

If guys like Michaelis and Jasek graduate from the minors, maybe there could be room for Zhukenov to come to Utica and be groomed to be a bottom-6 type centre for us (a righty that's good on the dot). Honestly, who knows...? If he keeps this up in the VHL, then gets called up to the KHL and proves himself there for a season or two, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't want to sign him to an ELC and prove his worth in the A. 

Again, this guy looked like he was 13 when we selected him (surprisingly in the 4th round). So he's had a lot of man body to grow into. Maybe we'll see that having let him slow cook in Russia for a few years will have paid off, rather than if we had signed him to a pro contract a few years back - and then, he'd have inevitably lost all his confidence. At the end of the day, I still like to think that there might be something here; although it's a long shot.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Okay that straightens things up for me. Thanks!

If guys like Michaelis and Jasek graduate from the minors, maybe there could be room for Zhukenov to come to Utica and be groomed to be a bottom-6 type centre for us (a righty that's good on the dot). Honestly, who knows...? If he keeps this up in the VHL, then gets called up to the KHL and proves himself there for a season or two, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't want to sign him to an ELC and prove his worth in the A. 

Again, this guy looked like he was 13 when we selected him (surprisingly in the 4th round). So he's had a lot of man body to grow into. Maybe we'll see that having let him slow cook in Russia for a few years will have paid off, rather than if we had signed him to a pro contract a few years back - and then, he'd have inevitably lost all his confidence. At the end of the day, I still like to think that there might be something here; although it's a long shot.

He was always going to be a "long term" prospect. Just not sure anyone was predicting quite this long term, lol. Would be a great story if he somehow manages to play his way back into the conversation as a potential NHL player. I certainly wish him all the luck in the world.

Long shot (as you said), to be sure, but maybe still too early to have written him off.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...