The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dmitry Zhukenov | C

2 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Chicoutimi ties the series up at 2-2 after a 4-3 win today in Game 4. One assist for Zhukenov in the win, 5-15-20 in 15 playoff games so far. Game 5 goes Friday at 3:00 pst.

I look forward to your recaps every evening. 

Thank you for the continuous updates!

Chicoutimi's season is done as they lose 6-5 in Game 6, and fall 4-2 in the series. Zhukenov had one goal in the game, finishing with a total of 6-15-21 in 17 playoff games. That means that all of the Canucks' CHL prospects have now been eliminated (save for Chatfield who will play in the Memorial Cup since Windsor is hosting).

Now we wait and see if the Canucks sign him to an ELC right away and whether or not he'll play in North America next season.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Chicoutimi's season is done as they lose 6-5 in Game 6, and fall 4-2 in the series. Zhukenov had one goal in the game, finishing with a total of 6-15-21 in 17 playoff games. That means that all of the Canucks' CHL prospects have now been eliminated (save for Chatfield who will play in the Memorial Cup since Windsor is hosting).

Now we wait and see if the Canucks sign him to an ELC right away and whether or not he'll play in North America next season.

Considering the playoffs he just had I think he could easily be a top 6C in Utica next season

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Considering the playoffs he just had I think he could easily be a top 6C in Utica next season

The jump from junior to the AHL is a big one... you can look at a guy like Carcone from this year as an example (who had better 20 year old numbers than Zhukenov). He really struggled to hit the scoresheet in the first few months but by the end of the year he was producing at a 0.5 ppg pace and on the second PP unit. If Zhuk joins Utica, I'd hope for a similar path. Carcone really clicked when he got matched up with Pelletier and Rendulic; I hope they give Zhukenov two linemates with some scoring ability and let him grow.

4 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

The jump from junior to the AHL is a big one... you can look at a guy like Carcone from this year as an example (who had better 20 year old numbers than Zhukenov). He really struggled to hit the scoresheet in the first few months but by the end of the year he was producing at a 0.5 ppg pace and on the second PP unit. If Zhuk joins Utica, I'd hope for a similar path. Carcone really clicked when he got matched up with Pelletier and Rendulic; I hope they give Zhukenov two linemates with some scoring ability and let him grow.

Zhukenov is a great offensive prospect and needs to play with good offensive players to succeed in the AHL next year. I know its a big jump and top 6 might be a bit much but who else do the Canucks and comets have as centre prospects in Utica? Zalewski will probs not be resigned, Hamilton, Cassels, carcone are probably going to be in Uti a and maybe Valk. Valk, Carcone, Zhuk, Cassels might be a decent centre group. I also think Zhuk with Virtanen would be a good pairing as Virt can open up the ice and Zhuk can feed him nice passes.

4 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Zhukenov is a great offensive prospect and needs to play with good offensive players to succeed in the AHL next year. I know its a big jump and top 6 might be a bit much but who else do the Canucks and comets have as centre prospects in Utica? Zalewski will probs not be resigned, Hamilton, Cassels, carcone are probably going to be in Uti a and maybe Valk. Valk, Carcone, Zhuk, Cassels might be a decent centre group. I also think Zhuk with Virtanen would be a good pairing as Virt can open up the ice and Zhuk can feed him nice passes.

If those are our centers next year, Zhukenov could easily be the top line guy in Utica if he's willing to go there.

2 hours ago, hatedkid666 said:

Virtanen has a way better chance then the other 2 on that line though

Absolutely, I think both of them will need a year. Dahlen may get mixed time, he's got pretty good experience playing overseas.

I've heard some people talking about this kid, that its a done deal that he's going to the KHL, but I don't remember seeing anything about him signing.

Did I miss something or is everyone just freaking out and making baseless assumptions as always?

40 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I've heard some people talking about this kid, that its a done deal that he's going to the KHL, but I don't remember seeing anything about him signing.

Did I miss something or is everyone just freaking out and making baseless assumptions as always?

It's basically a story that originated from a Russian news service (R-Sport) where a "source close to" Avangard Omsk claimed the team wants to bring back a list of several players (including Zhukenov).

http://m.rsport.ru/hockey/20170329/1118285573.html

Certainly not a fait accompli. But generally people seem to have treated it as such for some reason.

I'd treat it along the same level of reliability/credibility as the media items that we'll see the next few months that read "Canucks interested in [insert name of free agent]."

EDIT: And none of the transfer services (to-date anyway) show Zhukenov joining a KHL team. The most you'll find is a link to that original R-Sport story.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Haven't watched highlights of this kid until this video. Man, his offensive skills look really elite:

I sure hope this kid gets a fair shot at making out team.  He does look good, and we don't want to lose another guy to the KHL.  I wonder if he would play in Utica, and be okay with that?