The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Carl Neill | D

HowYaDrouin

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Impressive numbers.... but being a westerner I really have no idea how the QMJHL stacks up against the WHL or OHL - is the quality of play the same e.g., as what Juolevi is facing in the OHL?

It's tough to say. His numbers last year are right on pace with guys this year who are well regarded for their 19-20 year old season.

Brisebois, Meloche, Zboril, Lauzon

In the W Guhle, Zborovskiy, and Juulsen had similar years this year to what Neill had last year.

Ryan Graves is a comparable prospect, but at the same time Josh Morrissey also put up 0.78 points per game in his 19-20 year old WHL season.

Overage players are hard to predict especially when they had a very good 19-20 year old year and then didn't make it to the AHL. It's not that common. I would say we won't really know what we have until he plays in the AHL. 

I thought Dane Fox might be able to follow in L.A.'s Pearson's footsteps as an older CHL scoring champ that went un-drafted  but got picked up and made it to the show.

....I was wrong...Dane just can't seem to improve his skating enough, which is probably a work ethic thing.

The point is that unless these kids can keep improving beyond there first pro year, there is little hope for them....work ethic is the buzz term for today's NHL.

I'm thinking MacEwan and McKenzie are 2 that have that work ethic and may surprise....sooner than later.

I hope Neill has that as well but I haven't seen enough of him to know yet.

I am sure of one thing though...at least one of these kids are going to push the Megna's out of the lineup on offense and there will be surprise on defense.

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I thought Dane Fox might be able to follow in L.A.'s Pearson's footsteps as an older CHL scoring champ that went un-drafted  but got picked up and made it to the show.

....I was wrong...Dane just can't seem to improve his skating enough, which is probably a work ethic thing.

The point is that unless these kids can keep improving beyond there first pro year, there is little hope for them....work ethic is the buzz term for today's NHL.

I'm thinking MacEwan and McKenzie are 2 that have that work ethic and may surprise....sooner than later.

I hope Neill has that as well but I haven't seen enough of him to know yet.

I am sure of one thing though...at least one of these kids are going to push the Megna's out of the lineup on offense and there will be surprise on defense.

Fox is a great example of being lifted by your line mate though isn't he? I mean it couldn't get much better than what he had. 

Wow what a great season this guy has had!! For a 5th round pick to steadily increase his points and weight in three seasons in the QMJHL to over a point point per game, he has done exactly what management would have wanted and more. I suspect he will earn a spot on Utica next year. 

Charlottetown takes the 2-0 series lead in a lopsided 9-2 beatdown where they dumped another 59 shots on goal. One assist and three shots for Neill in the game, 0-3-3 in the two games so far. This series looks like it'll be a short one.

The game got pretty chippy too, with Baie-Comeau down to ten players at one point after a ton of misconducts in the third:

Canucks Army's Ryan Biech digs into the "will they or won't they" question on signing Neill: https://canucksarmy.com/2017/04/05/will-the-canucks-sign-carl-neill/

We've got until June 1st.

And it's quickly becoming a fairly crowded D prospect group, with Olson also approaching the rights deadline (or he re-enters the draft), Brisebois likely earning an ELC, rumours of interest in Raddysh, and Chatfield already signed. Plus all the pending RFAs and limited contract slots.

Seemed like Neill was a "done deal" to earn a contract several months ago but maybe the landscape has shifted enough since then to put his future with this team in doubt?

Benning's public statements have always seemed to point toward us signing Neill, but I suppose we'll just have to see how things play out over the next couple months.

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Canucks Army's Ryan Biech digs into the "will they or won't they" question on signing Neill: https://canucksarmy.com/2017/04/05/will-the-canucks-sign-carl-neill/

We've got until June 1st.

And it's quickly becoming a fairly crowded D prospect group, with Olson also approaching the rights deadline (or he re-enters the draft), Brisebois likely earning an ELC, rumours of interest in Raddysh, and Chatfield already signed. Plus all the pending RFAs and limited contract slots.

Seemed like Neill was a "done deal" to earn a contract several months ago but maybe the landscape has shifted enough since then to put his future with this team in doubt?

Benning's public statements have always seemed to point toward us signing Neill, but I suppose we'll just have to see how things play out over the next couple months.

Pedan, Billins and Nilsson are all on expiring contracts. Is Neill (or Raddysh for that matter) possible upgrades (even long term) on any of them...?

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Pedan, Billins and Nilsson are all on expiring contracts. Is Neill (or Raddysh for that matter) possible upgrades (even long term) on any of them...?

Definitely upgrades on the "magic beans" side of the equation, simply because they have some unrealized potential and the others you've mentioned are more known commodities at the pro level.

Billins and Nilsson I'd let walk. Haven't really stood out enough as anything more than the standard AHL depth available easily every year via free agency.

Pedan I still struggle with. He has that "unique player" tantalizing potential. But also seems to be establishing himself as a guy who struggles with consistency year after year. He may very well never be able take that final step he needs to become an option as an everyday NHL player (or even a depth NHL D).

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Definitely upgrades on the "magic beans" side of the equation, simply because they have some unrealized potential and the others you've mentioned are more known commodities at the pro level.

Billins and Nilsson I'd let walk. Haven't really stood out enough as anything more than the standard AHL depth available easily every year via free agency.

Pedan I still struggle with. He has that "unique player" tantalizing potential. But also seems to be establishing himself as a guy who struggles with consistency year after year. He may very well never be able take that final step he needs to become an option as an everyday NHL player (or even a depth NHL D).

My thoughts pretty much mirrored (as usual ;) ). 

It was largely a rhetorical question but yeah, that's my read as well. Billins/Nilsson walk and you bring in Brisebois, Neill, Olson, Chatfield to compete for spots in Utica or land in the ECHL.

Pretty sure with guys walking, sliding contracts etc, we're ok on the 50 contract limit still with those moves.

It will be interesting to see what management does with Pedan....

Regardless of whether or not Billins or Nilsson are re-signed, the team will still need to add AHL veterans to help anchor the kids on the blueline. This can be done with AHL-only deals of course but those players will still take physical spots in the lineup to make things a little crowded. Right now they have Billins, Nilsson, Robak and Shields (the last two on AHL deals) on the roster although Nilsson rarely plays and Shields has been an alternating scratch with Pedan. I'd expect them to make similar moves next year - get two good quality AHL d-men (Robak/BIllins) and a third that is capable enough to step in from time to time (Shields). I don't know if Pedan gets re-signed or not but I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't.

Then you have Subban, McEneny, Sautner, Brisebois, Chatfield, maybe Cederholm, maybe Olson and Neill. (I guess Stewart technically exists too.) So it definitely seems likely that one of Olson or Neill is let go, maybe even both if they can land a guy like Raddysh.

2 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Regardless of whether or not Billins or Nilsson are re-signed, the team will still need to add AHL veterans to help anchor the kids on the blueline. This can be done with AHL-only deals of course but those players will still take physical spots in the lineup to make things a little crowded. Right now they have Billins, Nilsson, Robak and Shields (the last two on AHL deals) on the roster although Nilsson rarely plays and Shields has been an alternating scratch with Pedan. I'd expect them to make similar moves next year - get two good quality AHL d-men (Robak/BIllins) and a third that is capable enough to step in from time to time (Shields). I don't know if Pedan gets re-signed or not but I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't.

Then you have Subban, McEneny, Sautner, Brisebois, Chatfield, maybe Cederholm, maybe Olson and Neill. (I guess Stewart technically exists too.) So it definitely seems likely that one of Olson or Neill is let go, maybe even both if they can land a guy like Raddysh.

I won't be surprised if McEneny or another prospect gets packaged with someone for a Offensive forward. I could see something like Edler-McEneny to Tampa for one of their forwards. Or Toronto is another option. Hutton-McEneny for a couple young forward prospects.

Archived