The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Carl Neill | D

HowYaDrouin

On 12/15/2015 at 8:41 AM, Teemu Selänne said:

Neill looking like a shrewd 5th rounder. 3rd on his team in points (1st D) with 31 points in 29 games. Biega, Subban, Neill could form a good right side on Utica next year. 

I just want to say it's really fun to see all of our draft picks from this year picking things up since being drafted. I don't recall this ever happening with Gillis or Nonis.

JB should get more credit. Ppl, myself included, did not believe him when he called 2015 a strong draft for the Canucks but Boeser is on fire, Jasek made the wj czeck team, brisebois, Neil, Olson are all having good years and zhukenov is having a decent year as well.

I hope we get more draft picks bc is love to see what JB can do in a strong draft year with 4 picks in the top 6

59 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

JB should get more credit. Ppl, myself included, did not believe him when he called 2015 a strong draft for the Canucks but Boeser is on fire, Jasek made the wj czeck team, brisebois, Neil, Olson are all having good years and zhukenov is having a decent year as well.

I hope we get more draft picks bc is love to see what JB can do in a strong draft year with 4 picks in the top 6

Yeah. I hope Benning can acquire more picks as well. If 2016 is shaping up to be a deeper draft than 2015, then I can see Benning selling off some vets for draft picks. Vrbata has to be at the top of the list, and he's also a UFA as well. So he would be a rental come trade deadline. Vrbata would be most likely to fetch us a 1st round pick (late), unless he scores much more torrid pace in the new year. 

I also think you still need some veteran leadership on the team. Can't sell them all off, or we risk being Edmonton. Don't want that.

I can see the following go: Higgins (could fetch a 3rd or 4th round pick), Prust (5th round pick), Vrbata (late 1st, or 2nd). 

34 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I can see the following go: Higgins (could fetch a 3rd or 4th round pick), Prust (5th round pick), Vrbata (late 1st, or 2nd).

They tried their best last summer to move Higgins....there were no takers He still has another year after this season at $2.5...I can understand why he's inmovable

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

They tried their best last summer to move Higgins....there were no takers He still has another year after this season at $2.5...I can understand why he's inmovable

Higgins is a good defensive forward. He belongs on the bottom six. ideal 3rd line winger, fantastic 4th line winger on a good team. That's good depth. 

But for the Canucks, he's taking a spot (in my opinion) away from a young player. 

I'll take anything for Higgins - even a 7th round pick! LOL. with Benning's eye for talent, I just want picks for JB to work with. The more the better, and the quicker in restocking our prospects cupboards. 

30 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Higgins is a good defensive forward. He belongs on the bottom six. ideal 3rd line winger, fantastic 4th line winger on a good team. That's good depth.

But for the Canucks, he's taking a spot (in my opinion) away from a young player.

I'll take anything for Higgins - even a 7th round pick! LOL. with Benning's eye for talent, I just want picks for JB to work with. The more the better, and the quicker in restocking our prospects cupboards.

We have to try and view it from another oerganizations point of view....no one wants to pay that much for a 4th liner.....come to that neither do we. It seems like he's on the IR now so maybe being playing injured for a while ??  But I agree Gaunce in for Higgins ..you save 2 million in Cap spaces next season

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Two more assists on the PP tonight.  Now 34 points in 33 games.

Will be great to get him into Utica next year, perhaps as soon as the end of this season.

Thanks for the positive update on a prospect.  We need, as fans, to look forward to better days, because our current team... Well, it's not so good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

What's this guy's realistic potential? A 6th/7th offensive defenseman?

He's got the potential to be a Top 4 guy, but he's most likely going to develop into a 5th or 6th defenseman with offensive acumen.

The big knock on his season is that he's technically playing in his D + 2 year, despite being drafted last year. I think people need to be mindful of that. I think his early development got hampered a bit by his heart problems (which, from my understanding, is why he didn't get drafted in his first year -- and why he had to pull out of Calgary's development camp)... but those heart problems seem to be fixed.

The real test for Carl Neill is if he can jump into the pros next year, since he'll be eligible to play in the AHL. I hope he gets a shot. The Canucks are still thin on defensive prospects in the AHL level and he, again, stands a better chance of standing out compared to a guy like Anton Cederholm or Evan McEney. If he can keep up his offensive pace and defensive development in the AHL next year, we should definitely start getting excited.

Archived