The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Carl Neill | D

HowYaDrouin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Been following/tracking Neill for a few years now. I think the Canucks got themselves a steal. 

...however I'm afraid they won't be able to transition him and develop him properly at the pro level :( 

I've gotten too hyped about Canucks D-prospects in the past and watched them not reach the NHL to get too excited about Neill.

Points are not the issue with him, his hockey IQ and his skating are what will determine if he makes the next level. It's nice to see him improve his +/- this season though. Hopefully after a couple seasons in the AHL he can challenge for a spot.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Neill looked better at camp this year, but Brisebois seemed to have made more progression.  Olson had a big improvement in the WHL last season but was pretty lost at camp.  Neill at least looks like he might make a decent AHLer.

I'm going to post this a few times on this board, because it proves that Benning's drafting is going to make up for his shortcomings as a GM.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/draft-history/2016-2012/vancouver/68/0/

The next couple of training camps are going to be crazy competitive and fun to watch.

15 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I'm going to post this a few times on this board, because it proves that Benning's drafting is going to make up for his shortcomings as a GM.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/draft-history/2016-2012/vancouver/68/0/

The next couple of training camps are going to be crazy competitive and fun to watch.

It definitely looks like we've gotten better at drafting the number of years, going back through some of those old drafts hurts. You're not gonna get a hit all the time, but there are so many misses on those lists.

That 2014 draft though. Probably 5 NHLers and we traded one. That's insane.

Virtanen

McCann

Demko

Tryamkin

Forsling

2015 could be 3-4 NHLers

Boeser

Brisebois

Gaudette

Maybe one more. Neill, Zhuk, Olson, Jasek all about even in my opinion

2016 was not a great year overall still picked 2 in my opinion

Juolevi

Lockwood

Maybe McKenzie

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It definitely looks like we've gotten better at drafting the number of years, going back through some of those old drafts hurts. You're not gonna get a hit all the time, but there are so many misses on those lists.

That list also skews the data heavily for Gillis. It includes his best draft years by far. The only ones to produce NHL players save two Hodgson and Connaughton (?).

It goes to show how much our drafting in the previous ten years has put us where we are now as an org.  

For all those wanting to fire JB because, A: he is not tearing the whole team down to rebuild, or B: the team is not performing as well currently, look no further. He is our best shot at fixing the situation. That is already self evident. 

^^^^ Derp's post breaks down JB's picks from the last three years. It's likely that we get 5 NHLers from JB's first year (2traded away), 3 from his second and at least 2 from his last. (Pretty early to rate the last year.). That's 10 likely NHL players in 3 drafts.

In the previous 8 seasons we had Cody, Connaughton, Bo, Gaunce and Hutton. With Cassels, Rodin and Subban as possible players. In 8 years we drafted 8 players who may all play in the NHL.  JB has 10 in 3 years.

Added to that the second tier players like Neill, Olson and Candella are going to go along way to blostering Utica over the coming years. One or two of those players may be our next Burrows, Hansen or Beiksa. Both were long shots that seriously paid off. 

Averaged over 8 seasons, JB will have an estimated 26.5 players drafted that are likely NHLers. Not including college FA's which is strong point for this team. 

We are on the right track and have a GM that this team needs now. Whether he is another Tallon who only gets acclaim after he is fired, or another Lombardi, who gets to see it all the way thru, well time will tell.  He is, however doing what needs to be done.  

Its ugly and frustrating to see the turmoil around our team, for those that have not seen it before. But other than when Pat Quinn came in, we have not had a GM who could really excell at drafting. Pat also made some huge gaffs, bigger than anything we have yet seen from JB. Pat did find a way to turn some of those turds into diamonds thru shrewd trades. 

EW. 

5 hours ago, Derp... said:

That 2014 draft though. Probably 5 NHLers and we traded two(my B). That's insane.

Virtanen

McCann

Demko

Tryamkin

Forsling

2015 could be 3-4 NHLers

Boeser

Brisebois

Gaudette

Maybe one more. Neill, Zhuk, Olson, Jasek all about even in my opinion

2016 was not a great year overall still picked 2 in my opinion

Juolevi

Lockwood

Maybe McKenzie

3 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

That list also skews the data heavily for Gillis. It includes his best draft years by far. The only ones to produce NHL players save two Hodgson and Connaughton (?).

It goes to show how much our drafting in the previous ten years has put us where we are now as an org.  

For all those wanting to fire JB because, A: he is not tearing the whole team down to rebuild, or B: the team is not performing as well currently, look no further. He is our best shot at fixing the situation. That is already self evident. 

^^^^ Derp's post breaks down JB's picks from the last three years. It's likely that we get 5 NHLers from JB's first year (2traded away), 3 from his second and at least 2 from his last. (Pretty early to rate the last year.). That's 10 likely NHL players in 3 drafts.

In the previous 8 seasons we had Cody, Connaughton, Bo, Gaunce and Hutton. With Cassels, Rodin and Subban as possible players. In 8 years we drafted 8 players who may all play in the NHL.  JB has 10 in 3 years.

Added to that the second tier players like Neill, Olson and Candella are going to go along way to blostering Utica over the coming years. One or two of those players may be our next Burrows, Hansen or Beiksa. Both were long shots that seriously paid off. 

Averaged over 8 seasons, JB will have an estimated 26.5 players drafted that are likely NHLers. Not including college FA's which is strong point for this team. 

We are on the right track and have a GM that this team needs now. Whether he is another Tallon who only gets acclaim after he is fired, or another Lombardi, who gets to see it all the way thru, well time will tell.  He is, however doing what needs to be done.  

Its ugly and frustrating to see the turmoil around our team, for those that have not seen it before. But other than when Pat Quinn came in, we have not had a GM who could really excell at drafting. Pat also made some huge gaffs, bigger than anything we have yet seen from JB. Pat did find a way to turn some of those turds into diamonds thru shrewd trades. 

EW. 

*With the context that we were a contending club. 

While our drafting wasn't stellar by any means, you need to maintain that context. We're were drafting late and trading picks a LOT (which made sense as a contender).

Without that context it looks a lot worse than it was, in isolation. 

Archived