The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

5 minutes ago, MedicineHatCanuck said:

Holy crap. I doubt even Benning say this coming

Travis Green on Cole Cassels "I don't think he will be quite right until after Christmas"

Little did he know he was talking about Adam Gaudette

Edited by Derp...

11 points in his last 6 games. I haven't checked there oponents over that stretch but thats really impressive for a True Freshman

Edit: Played some really good teams the first three games (BC twice and Michigan State) but the last 4 games have been weaker opponents

Edited by Gstank29

15 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

At the draft I pointed out that Gaudette and Neill look like re-incarnations of Matson and Polasek based on their league, point totals, age, size, draft position etc. 

Taylor Matson (draft year) USHL - 55 GP 13G 24A 37 PTS
Taylor Matson (draft year +1) WCHA - 13 GP 1G 0A 1 PTS

Adam Gaudette (draft year) USHL - 50 GP 13G 17A 30 PTS
Adam Gaudette (draft year +1) H-East - 24 GP 5G 11A 16 PTS

Insane seeing the difference. In Taylor Matson's fourth season, and what you could call his "breakout':
43 GP 8G 15A 23 PTS

Now Matson isn't even that bad of a pro player. In his actual rookie year an injury de-railed him the entire season. In Minnesota's system he scored 42 in 39 in the ECHL, 5 in 32 in the AHL. He now plays in the SHL and has 16 points in 35 games - 2nd line numbers in a good league.

Matson actually could've been a decent depth player, great on faceoffs as I remember... he was just devastated by injuries. I think he only player a handful of games with the Wolves for us. Gaudette definitely is showing more of an offensive upside though which is great to see.

Side note, Gaudette got another goal today. His 17 points puts him fourth on his team in scoring now. 7th in Hockey East freshman scoring as well. Goal's at 40 seconds of the video below:

• Upvote 1

Gaudette just keeps rolling. Great to see.

Further to the discussion above, it's kinda amazing to look at our 2015 picks from rounds 4-7 (Zhukenov, Neill, Gaudette, Jasek, and Olson) and realize that, at this point at least, I wouldn't be able to really call any of them "bad" picks if they had actually been drafted in the 3rd round!

Still a ways to go before any of them can be confirmed as "hits" but some pretty encouraging D+1 results nonetheless.

I can't wait to see how Benning and the scouts follow things up with their next draft. Especially if we manage to stockpile a few extra picks this year.

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Gaudette just keeps rolling. Great to see.

Further to the discussion above, it's kinda amazing to look at our 2015 picks from rounds 4-7 (Zhukenov, Neill, Gaudette, Jasek, and Olson) and realize that, at this point at least, I wouldn't be able to really call any of them "bad" picks if they had actually been drafted in the 3rd round!

Still a ways to go before any of them can be confirmed as "hits" but some pretty encouraging D+1 results nonetheless.

I can't wait to see how Benning and the scouts follow things up with their next draft. Especially if we manage to stockpile a few extra picks this year.

It is easy to get overly excited about the potential of draft picks as they move through their careers. Totally agree with your point about how well they look so far.

I am a 'tanker' :) and hope that Benning moves vets into the TDL for maximum benefit. IMO Benning has done a good job with his drafting, trades and signings. That said I suspect the 'tough' times for the Canucks have not bottomed yet. When the Twins are no longer 1st line players the crunch will come. The fact that the young players have done as well as they have should not be a on going expectation but a bonus.  

13 hours ago, Boudrias said:

It is easy to get overly excited about the potential of draft picks as they move through their careers. Totally agree with your point about how well they look so far.

I am a 'tanker' :) and hope that Benning moves vets into the TDL for maximum benefit. IMO Benning has done a good job with his drafting, trades and signings. That said I suspect the 'tough' times for the Canucks have not bottomed yet. When the Twins are no longer 1st line players the crunch will come. The fact that the young players have done as well as they have should not be a on going expectation but a bonus.  

As said elsewhere, moving vets will NOT tank this team, but might well improve it, as evidenced by the recent sitting of Prust and Weber and waiving of Higgins.

Sorry to disappoint -- this team is not going to implode and sink to the bottom, if that's what you consider a "benefit".