The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

Just now, Alflives said:

If we don’t give him the opportunity to burn the extra year, what’s his incentive to sign with us, and not play his senior year in college and become a UFA?  

I say he’s signed on Monday, and playing games on our home stand.  He benefits and we sell more seats.

I completely agree. I was just responding to the point made of it being better for us if he doesn’t burn a year. I think it works in our favor if he’s the real deal. You could luck out and end up with a 30 goal scorer that only eats up 3rd line centre money against our cap. In the years when we’re realistically trying to win too.

but yeah..  He said he’s loyal but you never really know. He’s also extremely proud of where he’s from. I don’t want to take any chances and leave time for dreams of signing back home to creep into his head.

• Upvote 2

Just now, thad said:

I completely agree. I was just responding to the point made of it being better for us if he doesn’t burn a year. I think it works in our favor if he’s the real deal. You could luck out and end up with a 30 goal scorer that only eats up 3rd line centre money against our cap. In the years when we’re realistically trying to win too.

but yeah..  He said he’s loyal but you never really know. He’s also extremely proud of where he’s from. I don’t want to take any chances and leave time for dreams of signing back home to creep into his head.

...the major point was we don't have to worry about Seattle nabbing him in the expansion draft...2020...if he doesn't sign until the summer...

18 minutes ago, Wanless said:

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

so basically Gaudette can play for Utica on an ATO and then go back to college next year?

Can he also sign a contact for 2018/2019 season but have an ATO for the remaining games for Utica?

No he cannot play in the AHL and play college hockey next season. He would sign an ELC starting in 2018-19 and the AHL contract for this season.  He would not burn a year off his ELC and would not have to be protected in the likely upcoming expansion draft.  This is exactly what Buffalo just did today with Will Borgen.

Gaudette isn't going back to college for his senior year and its up to Benning on selling him that the experience of the AHL playoffs for his development is in his best interest.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wanless said:

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

so basically Gaudette can play for Utica on an ATO and then go back to college next year?

Can he also sign a contact for 2018/2019 season but have an ATO for the remaining games for Utica?

It gets pretty technical because you’re dealing with rules from a few different leagues. I think the NCAA rules would not let a player return to college if he’d signed an ATO and played with an AHL squad at the end of his college season. But I think as far as the NHL and AHL are concerned, ATOs are classified as amateurs because they are not drawing a salary or under a standard contract.

It’s murky stuff. 

So no, I don’t believe Gaudette could return to Northeastern if he signed an ATO, even though he’d still be an amateur. Just not an NCAA eligible amateur.

I’d have to check a bunch of rules to be sure about that though.

Functionally, ATOs are almost always used for amateur players who want to play in a professional league, but won’t be signing professional deals until the following season.

So yes, Gaudette could sign an ATO now and join Utica. And then sign his ELC effective next season. This is actually fairly common among lower grade NCAA players. But most higher level prospects choose to sign an ELC effective during the current season to collect their bonus and burn off a year. By doing this, they join the NHL roster which makes them ineligible for the AHL (as NHL contracted players must be on the AHL roster at the TDL to be eligible to play in the AHL the remainder of the season and playoffs, ie: “papering down”, etc).

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...the major point was we don't have to worry about Seattle nabbing him in the expansion draft...2020...if he doesn't sign until the summer...

Totally. Expansion eligibility is priority number 1. As long as that game limit posted above is true I say burn that year off. 

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It gets pretty technical because you’re dealing with rules from a few different leagues. I think the NCAA rules would not let a player return to college if he’d signed an ATO and played with an AHL squad at the end of his college season. But I think as far as the NHL and AHL are concerned, ATOs are classified as amateurs because they are not drawing a salary or under a standard contract.

It’s murky stuff. 

So no, I don’t believe Gaudette could return to Northeastern if he signed an ATO, even though he’d still be an amateur. Just not an NCAA eligible amateur.

I’d have to check a bunch of rules to be sure about that though.

Functionally, ATOs are almost always used for amateur players who want to play in a professional league, but won’t be signing professional deals until the following season.

So yes, Gaudette could sign an ATO now and join Utica. And then sign his ELC effective next season. This is actually fairly common among lower grade NCAA players. But most higher level prospects choose to sign an ELC effective during the current season to collect their bonus and burn off a year. By doing this, they join the NHL roster which makes them ineligible for the AHL (as NHL contracted players must be on the AHL roster at the TDL to be eligible to play in the AHL the remainder of the season and playoffs, ie: “papering down”, etc).

NCAA rules do not allow a player to play in a pro league and the return to play the next year in college. The term ATO is more a technical term because he is coming from amateur hockey unlike PTO coming from a pro league like the ECHL. 

3 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I could be wrong too. He needs to submit a 15 team no trade list for the 2020/21 which would lead me to believe his contract would fall into the category "Players whose NMCs had limited no trade clauses had to still be protected, and any players with NMCs were able to waive the clause and become eligible for the expansion draft" but who knows. Guess we can worry about that after we actually see if, and when, there will be an expansion draft.

It's NMC vs NTC.  Expansion is considered a movement and not a trade.  A modified NMC allows the player to be traded but he cannot be 'moved' as in demoted to the AHL or exposed.  Players with a NTC can be exposed because they are not protected against a movement but only against a trade.  Eriksson is no longer expansion protected.  

19 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

What makes anyone think expansion would be a concern regarding Gaudette anyways? Just protect him. Are people worried about losing Eriksson, Sutter, etc...? The expansion draft will be a blessing as far as losing one of our older under-performing players.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

What makes anyone think expansion would be a concern regarding Gaudette anyways? Just protect him. Are people worried about losing Eriksson, Sutter, etc...? The expansion draft will be a blessing as far as losing one of our older under-performing players.

It still allows us to protect someone else.    Maybe allows you to keep Leipsic in the end... but even if it is Sutter. He could still be a decent deadline deal in his contract year.

8 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

You can't protect everyone, though.

9 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

etc.... must = Gagner  

• Cheers 1

Same situation as Gaudette. Borgen is a mid round pick that excelled in college....he made the USA Olympic roster.  He is a junior and his college team was just eliminated from the NCAA tournament.

By convincing him to go this route Will will get his professional development aided by playing significant playoff games in Rochester instead of meaningless NHL in Buffalo which is a dumpster fire right now as they battle Vancouver for 31st place.  The Sabres don't give up a year of his ELC and won't have to protect him in an expansion draft.

The Canucks need to stop with the inferiority complex and negotiate with strength and conviction that this is in the player's best interest as well as the team's best interest.

2 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

He won't have to be protected in expansion.  Players who only have 2 pro-years will be exempt.  For players 20 and above it's 10 professional games to count as a pro-year (for teenagers it's 10 NHL games) and there are less than 10 games left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Same situation as Gaudette. Borgen is a mid round pick that excelled in college....he made the USA Olympic roster.  He is a junior and his college team was just eliminated from the NCAA tournament.

By convincing him to go this route Will will get his professional development aided by playing significant playoff games in Rochester instead of meaningless NHL in Buffalo which is a dumpster fire right now as they battle Vancouver for 31st place.  The Sabres don't give up a year of his ELC and won't have to protect him in an expansion draft.

The Canucks need to stop with the inferiority complex and negotiate with strength and conviction that this is in the player's best interest as well as the team's best interest.

It's a tough sell though........c'mon JB