The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

I suspect I'm being too much of a homer in this post. With all this talk of the need to find another top 6 center, I feel like people are again capping Adam Gaudette's ceiling. What I saw during his time here was a kid who has great instincts and drive and competitiveness along with good size and skills and leadership abilities. He'll probably use this again as motivation so I suppose it's all good. I think he has 1C potential and that the Hobey Baker award he got wasn't for a fluke season as he was already in consideration last year. Flame away.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I suspect I'm being too much of a homer in this post. With all this talk of the need to find another top 6 center, I feel like people are again capping Adam Gaudette's ceiling. What I saw during his time here was a kid who has great instincts and drive and competitiveness along with good size and skills and leadership abilities. He'll probably use this again as motivation so I suppose it's all good. I think he has 1C potential and that the Hobey Baker award he got wasn't for a fluke season as he was already in consideration last year. Flame away.

I don' think people are 'capping Gaudette's ceiling'; more likely they are not interested in putting a ton of expectations on a young man that has only played 5 NHL games.

Green knows how to develop young talent and will be careful that Adam has opportunities to develop his game and have some success at the same time.  At this point, it is really hard to predict where he will end up in the lineup or how long it will take for him to reach his peak.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

10 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don' think people are 'capping Gaudette's ceiling'; more likely they are not interested in putting a ton of expectations on a young man that has only played 5 NHL games.

Green knows how to develop young talent and will be careful that Adam has opportunities to develop his game and have some success at the same time.  At this point, it is really hard to predict where he will end up in the lineup or how long it will take for him to reach his peak.

Could be a Dowd or could be a Kesler. Patience and time will tell. 

• Cheers 1

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 3:09 AM, Crabcakes said:

Imagine a 3rd line of Gadjovich Gaudette Virtanen.  That's a wrecking crew and will give teams fits.

::D

Both wingers were 40 goal scorers in the CHL BTW.  Along with the NCAA's leading scorer last year???  

Not just wrecking balls, there is some serious potential. Lind as well could make his way into that conversation.

2 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Gaudette will be sent to the AHL by November. He's nowhere near good enough for the show.

No where near good enough, why? I could say that about any player on a bad team... Back up your comments... I think he did well for what he was asked in those last 5 games. I think he has a bunch of stuff to work on, I believe he knows that too. So who's to say he doesn't have a monster off season and is ready to contribute at the NHL level next year.

Personally I don't think the AHL is much, if at all better than the NCAA. I think he could learn things in the AHL and get more off ice training time with most games happening on weekends, but would not be opposed to him being in the NHL, better than some of the already full time guys the Canucks put on the ice last year...

If he was a Nashville prospect or a Boston prospect, yeah I would leave him in the AHL, but he's a Canucks prospect and they need all the help they can get

3 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

No where near good enough, why? I could say that about any player on a bad team... Back up your comments... I think he did well for what he was asked in those last 5 games. I think he has a bunch of stuff to work on, I believe he knows that too. So who's to say he doesn't have a monster off season and is ready to contribute at the NHL level next year.

Personally I don't think the AHL is much, if at all better than the NCAA. I think he could learn things in the AHL and get more off ice training time with most games happening on weekends, but would not be opposed to him being in the NHL, better than some of the already full time guys the Canucks put on the ice last year...

If he was a Nashville prospect or a Boston prospect, yeah I would leave him in the AHL, but he's a Canucks prospect and they need all the help they can get

HAH! NCAA isn't near the level of AHL. Most of those guys don't play hockey anymore when they are done. 6.4% go pro.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

HAH! NCAA isn't near the level of AHL. Most of those guys don't play hockey anymore when they are done. 6.4% go pro.

Agreed.  Most people grossly underestimate the level of play and the overall caliber of both players and coaches in the AHL. 

Simply look at the players who absolutely dominate the CHL/European Leagues/NCAA who go to the AHL and noticeably struggle or suddenly become 'average' players.   

I always laugh when people here (and there are many) suggest guys like Lind, Gajo, Dalhen will turn up in Utica and dominate there.....it's pretty rare that happening....

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

Im sure the Canucks coaching staff and management will give Gaudette every chance to make the team this fall, but its nice that they signed some players as a contingency plan if Gaudette shows he isn't quite ready.   I would imagine he would be a very good camp to show that he won't just survive in the NHL, but can thrive and contribute on a nightly basis.

Playing some key minutes in Utica would be good for him to adjust to the pro ranks.  Ryan Johnson, Trent Cull and co have done a fabulous job so far creating that culture and character, Gaudette would benefit from being there.

I thought at the end he had some good moments throughout the games and got better as they went on, but still think he needs seasoning.  Would not be upset if he gets sent down to Utica at the beginning of the year and we start off with Beagle/Schaller or whoever as our bottom six centres. 

• Upvote 4

I think the signing they made the last couple days will make it harder for Gaudette and others to make the Canucks.  And make it hard for other young players to make the Comets.  They will need to beat the door down in preseason to make the team.  We will see competition at all position in training camp this year.  

Beyond Gaudette we have Dahlen, Jasek, Petterssen, Demko, Juolevi, Sautner, McEneny, and maybe Hughes (if he signs) all thinking they can crack this lineup.  I am not sure we have room for three rookies now, maybe two?

On the other hand, some time in Utica wouldn't hurt anything but the pride of any of those young guys.  And it could really help their development. 

And that didn't even mention Boucher, Motte and Goldobin who don't look like they have earned spots on the Canucks either.  

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Gaudette is always one of the players Benning mentions for the upcoming season.  He'll be on the team.

Benning clearly likes what Gaudette brings to the table and I think he hopes that Gaudette makes the team, but I hope we judge him on how he actually is, not what we hope him to be. We've made that mistake with McCann and Virtanen in the past, so it's best to play carefully here.

I wouldn't mind Gaudette start in Utica unless he absolutely has a great camp and preseason.  

It's likely that could happen now with these 3 UFA signings...he could be the first call-up when needed.

I'd like him to get 20 or 30 AHL in to see how he does. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Benning clearly likes what Gaudette brings to the table and I think he hopes that Gaudette makes the team, but I hope we judge him on how he actually is, not what we hope him to be. We've made that mistake with McCann and Virtanen in the past, so it's best to play carefully here.

I don't think the comparison of the mistake they made with McCann and Virtanen to Gaudette playing this year is fair.

Those two played straight from junior.  Gaudette will be 22 at the start of this season has been playing for a few years against men, not juniors.  To be fair, you really need to compare Gaudette to what Boeser did last year,  . . .  and that turned out pretty well.

[not saying he will have a season like Boeser, just a similar player/age/experience level joining the NHL.]

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Stormriders said:

I don't think the comparison of the mistake they made with McCann and Virtanen to Gaudette playing this year is fair.

Those two played straight from junior.  Gaudette will be 22 at the start of this season has been playing for a few years against men, not juniors.  To be fair, you really need to compare Gaudette to what Boeser did last year,  . . .  and that turned out pretty well.

[not saying he will have a season like Boeser, just a similar player/age/experience level joining the NHL.]

You make fair points, thanks for pointing that out. My concerns are that Gaudette didn't really wow me and didn't feel like he was quite at an NHL level yet last year. As much as I want him to become our next great middle six forward, I want him to be ready first. If he plays like he did in his few games last year, I don't think he's ready. If he improves, then maybe he is. He had some brilliant moments, but he was overwhelminginlgy...underwhelming :P. 

In contrast, Boeser dominated the game during his 9 game stint in 2016-17, which is why many (including myself) had him slotted for the top 6.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Gaudette has to be on the opening night roster. Theres no way they waste a year on his elc for a hand full of games, just to put him in the minors a few months later.

This is the sunk cost fallacy though. Past costs shouldn't factor into future decisions. I'm hoping the decision is made based on his play in training camp and what we've seen of him already, not the year already burnt off his contract. I'm hoping he comes out strong and earns a spot.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

This is the sunk cost fallacy though. Past costs shouldn't factor into future decisions. I'm hoping the decision is made based on his play in training camp and what we've seen of him already, not the year already burnt off his contract. I'm hoping he comes out strong and earns a spot.

It's more the sign of their expectations.  This "sunk cost" business was invented by the local media as a way of implying that Benning was trying to save his ego over Gudbranson by "doubling down on his mistake".  Quite insulting and arrogant not to mention childish of them, really, as if it's a schoolyard (like the TSN shows typically resemble).  He gains no benefit by doing what's bad for the team just to supposedly make himself look good.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

In contrast, Boeser dominated the game during his 9 game stint in 2016-17, which is why many (including myself) had him slotted for the top 6.

Boeser was always projected to be a top-6 player though, whereas Gaudette starting showing promise halfway through his freshman season.  He then dominated the next year, and followed that with leading the NCAA and winning the Hobey Baker.  He's had an extra year of college hockey, and could maybe even have made the team last year, just like Boeser could have the year before.  Imo he did not look out of place in his 5 games, and showed definite improvement after he got his feet wet in even just the first game.  Was already generating offense and starting to play aggressively, and with a bit of better fortune (i.e. finisher, Boucher) he could have had a few points.

I expect he beats out the likes of Gaunce, Leipsic, and Goldobin for a roster spot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1