The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Leivo stays for sure.  Motte, Goldy, and Little Things go down

Lol. You have provided a lot of laughs on this subject. Thx for that. But. I don't think they send Loui down.  Sorry but it just isn't done. Maybe in his last year.  If you were JB how would you explain to Aqua that you're spending big money now on a guy who half way thru his contract can't make the team.  Won't happen Alf. (I feel like Dan Rowan. OK Dick...)

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

Lol. You have provided a lot of laughs on this subject. Thx for that. But. I don't think they send Loui down.  Sorry but it just isn't done. Maybe in his last year.  If you were JB how would you explain to Aqua that you're spending big money now on a guy who half way thru his contract can't make the team.  Won't happen Alf. (I feel like Dan Rowan. OK Dick...)

Loui has basically called the Canuck’s brass’s hand.  He’s saying you guys will not tell your owner to send me to Utica.  I think Aquilini will support JB and agree to do what’s best for the team.  Then we shall all see if Little Loui will ride buses or retire.  

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Loui has basically called the Canuck’s brass’s hand.  He’s saying you guys will not tell your owner to send me to Utica.  I think Aquilini will support JB and agree to do what’s best for the team.  Then we shall all see if Little Loui will ride buses or retire.  

Not gonna happen this year. 

15 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

I don't think it's Loui or AG in a who is up who is down situation. Loui will be up because 6m NHL players with 3 years left don't go down. 

Gaudette will make  the team.  I trust that JB is an honest guy and will give him his due.  Schaller Leivo and/or Goldy are the ones who may go down.  Someone could be claimed.

Let's see.

some of the twitter-verse seem to think theres something special between Beagle and Schaller, so maybe its Goldy and Leivo 

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

some of the twitter-verse seem to think theres something special between Beagle and Schaller, so maybe its Goldy and Leivo 

Leivo ain’t going anywhere, coach loves him. He’s one of the most versatile players we have.

If Schaller ends up staying it’s two of Eriksson, Motte, and Goldobin on the way out.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Leivo ain’t going anywhere, coach loves him. He’s one of the most versatile players we have.

If Schaller ends up staying it’s two of Eriksson, Motte, and Goldobin on the way out.

I was sort of tweaking the twitter twits. I agree tho Leivo seems to bring a lot of tools and at the price we got and retained him it would be silly to lose him for nothing.

I'm over Goldy, I just don't see how he ever cracks they type of top 6 Benning is creating. Maybe if he has some size... but whatever it was worth it to try him out for this long, we really had nothing to lose until now.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Coach loves Motte even more, for obvious reasons (i.e., work ethic).  I think that's all we need to know to figure out who will be getting (or at least should be getting) cut.

Difference is Motte wouldn’t be able to move up to the first and second line if injuries hit, Leivo could and not look out of place.

Leivo has much more value at this point.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, DeNiro said:

ok but isn't that what 'they' used to say about Granny..? 

just sayin.. 

2 hours ago, nzan said:

Probably not realistic but imagine if Gaudette could grab that spot and be inflated by Pettersson?!

All of a sudden we could go back to Boeser with Horvat. 

That would be amazing.

I have hoped this is what they would try. Makes the bottom six even deeper and gets 2 centers on each line. 

Ferland Petey Gaud

Miller Bo Boeser

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

ok but isn't that what 'they' used to say about Granny..? 

just sayin.. 

Leivo is able to play physical, forecheck hard, and his offensive game is a step above Granlund.

I’d compare him more to a Chris Higgins type player.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Leivo is able to play physical, forecheck hard, and his offensive game is a step above Granlund.

I’d compare him more to a Chris Higgins type player.

hmmm... I can agree with the first 2 points, but I don't find his offense any better than granny's.. if that was the case, wouldn't he be looking at a top 6 role? 

higgy might be a decent comparable tho.. 

22 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

hmmm... I can agree with the first 2 points, but I don't find his offense any better than granny's.. if that was the case, wouldn't he be looking at a top 6 role? 

higgy might be a decent comparable tho.. 

Well like Higgins, Leivo could fill in in the top 6 and not look out of place, but you wouldn’t want him there full time. My guess is Leivo does play in the top 6 at some point during the season.

Granlund could play there as well but he was not very effective as a winger because he didn’t have the size to win battles along the boards, and wasn’t creative enough as a center. His offensive game really started to trail off as well.

Either way I think most people would agree that Leivo is an upgrade based on how this team wants to play.

Edited by DeNiro

1 hour ago, Borvat said:

I have hoped this is what they would try. Makes the bottom six even deeper and gets 2 centers on each line. 

Ferland Petey Gaud

Miller Bo Boeser

Agreed!

Though I started messing with lines based on Gaudette and Baertschi looking good together in preseason -

Miller Pettersson Boeser - legit top line

Baertschi Horvat Gaudette - could click nicely

Ferland Sutter Virtanen- smashing becoming scoring 

Edited by nzan

I love Gaudette but I am against keeping him on the roster at the start of the season. 

Look at how much grunt work our captain has to go through. Bo had to take more faceoffs than other centres in the league. He had to play a lot of minutes in the shutdown role and defensive zone. He played a lot with ever changing linemates. 

At this stage I simply DO NOT trust Gaudette as a third line centre. If Gaudette is our third line centre our captain has to play more of a shut down role which messes up our team makeup.

There is no point keeping Gaudette as a winger.  We have a lot of wingers. Our top 6 wingers are set. Ferland, Boeser, Pearson, Bartschi and Miller are better options than Gaudette. If Gaudette plays as a bottom six winger that's less minutes for him.

I would suggest to send him down to AHL at the start of the season to polish his defensive game and kill some penalties. 

This pre-season demonstrated that the lack of offence on the part of our Hobey Baker winner last season was not due to his lack of talent but rather his lack of confidence and adaptation. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Cheers 1