The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

Just now, aGENT said:

Don't think it's a 'trust' issue. Who are you taking out to put him in?

Even if we send him down (which we should IMO, so he can PLAY), we still arguably should be trading away a forward or two with Roussel coming back. We have too many middle 6 bodies.

Ferland or Leivo - can't sit him out indefinitely.

Would make sense to trade someone.  Not sure they quite know just yet what the team is though.  They've played only 2 playoffs teams from last season and have mostly played against teams that are struggling a fair bit - NYR, NJD, LAK, DET are right at the bottom of the standings.  

Ferland was brought in to be a top-6 F - he's not there yet.  Benning expects 15-20 goals from Leivo.  He has 1.  Pearson's shooting percentage fell back down to earth.  They wanted 2 PP units - they have one.  Until there's some more clarity I don't expect a trade quite yet.  

They are also riding a very high PDO which suggests luck - same for Buffalo and Colorado.  Markstrom has also been stellar making saves beyond expected goals.   Whenever numbers are so skewed the question is always is it sustainable or will it normalise.  The team will continue to gel so maybe that will make up for when they lose some of their luck.  

8 minutes ago, mll said:

Ferland or Leivo - can't sit him out indefinitely.

Would make sense to trade someone.  Not sure they quite know just yet what the team is though.  They've played only 2 playoffs teams from last season and have mostly played against teams that are struggling a fair bit - NYR, NJD, LAK, DET are right at the bottom of the standings.  

Ferland was brought in to be a top-6 F - he's not there yet.  Benning expects 15-20 goals from Leivo.  He has 1.  Pearson's shooting percentage fell back down to earth.  They wanted 2 PP units - they have one.  Until there's some more clarity I don't expect a trade quite yet.  

They are also riding a very high PDO which suggests luck - same for Buffalo and Colorado.  Markstrom has also been stellar making saves beyond expected goals.   Whenever numbers are so skewed the question is always is it sustainable or will it normalise.  The team will continue to gel so maybe that will make up for when they lose some of their luck.  

Can't see them sitting either, with any regularity for Gaudette. He needs to go to Utica IMO and PLAY. And with Roussel coming back, there's a good chance one of them is sitting for him which isn't a good long term plan either). It doesn't just 'make sense' to trade someone, it's a a requirement. Likely even two of Leivo/Ferland/Virtanen.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Leivo/Ferland/Virtanen

Roussel, Sutter, Leivo/Ferland/Virtanen

Schaller, Beagle, Motte

Eriksson

And that leaves still Gaudette, Baer, Goldobin, MacEwan, Jasek etc for call ups still.

Where the hell do you cram Gaudette in there?! Wouldn't shock me to see two of Leivo/Virtanen/Gaudette +/- moved for an upgrade on Horvat's RW.

On the flip side to all the 'luck' etc talk, neither Pettersson or Boeser has been particularly stellar yet either (despite putting up points) and I'd imagine that trend reverses at some point as well.

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Can't see them sitting either, with any regularity for Gaudette. He needs to go to Utica IMO and PLAY. And with Roussel coming back, there's a good chance one of them is sitting for him which isn't a good long term plan either). It doesn't just 'make sense' to trade someone, it's a a requirement. Likely even two of Leivo/Ferland/Virtanen.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Leivo/Ferland/Virtanen

Roussel, Sutter, Leivo/Ferland/Virtanen

Schaller, Beagle, Motte

Eriksson

And that leaves still Gaudette, Baer, Goldobin, MacEwan, Jasek etc for call ups still.

Where the hell do you cram Gaudette in there?! Wouldn't shock me to see two of Leivo/Virtanen/Gaudette +/- moved for an upgrade on Horvat's RW.

On the flip side to all the 'luck' etc talk, neither Pettersson or Boeser has been particularly stellar yet either (despite putting up points) and I'd imagine that trend reverses at some point as well.

That's why I don't understand Benning / Green telling Baertschi's agent that the door is not closed for a return to Vancouver - they met in NY.   Instead they should have given him the go ahead to go and look for a new team like they did for Eriksson.  They have enough options for injury recalls.

End of November should give them a better idea who they want to move to bring in Roussel.  

Gaudette should definitely be sent down to Utica. Operate with 22 players and bank some cap space to cover the bonuses.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

That's why I don't understand Benning / Green telling Baertschi's agent that the door is not closed for a return to Vancouver - they met in NY.   Instead they should have given him the go ahead to go and look for a new team like they did for Eriksson.  They have enough options for injury recalls.

End of November should give them a better idea who they want to move to bring in Roussel.  

Gaudette should definitely be sent down to Utica. Operate with 22 players and bank some cap space to cover the bonuses.

I'd imagine they view him as the first call up for any top 6 injuries.

Unless they've got something else up their sleeve for recalling Baer and moving a couple of those guys for something besides a replacement top 6 forward...

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd imagine they view him as the first call up for any top 6 injuries.

Unless they've got something else up their sleeve for recalling Baer and moving a couple of those guys for something besides a replacement top 6 forward...

They sent him down because they felt the top-6 was full and he wasn't suited for the bottom-6.  Now they have Leivo in the top-6 because Ferland hasn't shown he can play with Pettersson-Boeser.  Pearson is also not as impactful as when acquired.  Maybe they are wondering if he might not be a better option.  I have no idea.  If he's just a recall option they should move on.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

They sent him down because they felt the top-6 was full and he wasn't suited for the bottom-6.  Now they have Leivo in the top-6 because Ferland hasn't shown he can play with Pettersson-Boeser.  Pearson is also not as impactful as when acquired.  Maybe they are wondering if he might not be a better option.  I have no idea.  If he's just a recall option they should move on.

Jake is playing top six with Bo and Pearson.  We finally have internal (and external) competition for ice time.  Having all these guys around, and competing with one another, is a good thing.  :towel:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake is playing top six with Bo and Pearson.  We finally have internal (and external) competition for ice time.  Having all these guys around, and competing with one another, is a good thing.  :towel:

Sure but there's no reason to derail Baertschi's career by keeping him in the AHL.   Benning found a new team for Biega because he wanted to give him the opportunity to continue in the NHL.  Do the same here and allow his agent to talk to other teams - don't go telling him that the door is not closed.  

21 minutes ago, mll said:

Sure but there's no reason to derail Baertschi's career by keeping him in the AHL.   Benning found a new team for Biega because he wanted to give him the opportunity to continue in the NHL.  Do the same here and allow his agent to talk to other teams - don't go telling him that the door is not closed.  

I like Baer too, and would (for his best) like to see him in the NHL.  However, for our team's best, I want to keep Baer in the AHL.  The guys on our team know that if they don't perform, Baer could come up and take their place, and they could be the one on waivers.  It's that internal and external pressure that some athletes need to be extra motivated.  

7 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I don't see why there cannot be a rotation, that may prevent injuries down the road.  What is so wrong with taking Leivo, Motte, Ferland out for a game here and there for Gaudette?  Especially the 3rd in NY and the first two periods last night the Canucks look gassed, Gaudette has fresh legs.   

Better for Gaud to play 4 out of 4 in Utica than 1 in 4 in Vancouver.  Just my opinion. He can come back soon enough for injuries. Or force his way back up near Christmas if, for the first time in history, we don't have tons of injuries lol.

18 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Better for Gaud to play 4 out of 4 in Utica than 1 in 4 in Vancouver.  Just my opinion. He can come back soon enough for injuries. Or force his way back up near Christmas if, for the first time in history, we don't have tons of injuries lol.

I'd like to give him a shot at 4/4 or even 3/4 games first, if not then I agree.

Nice to see he got sent down as he'll get some playing time on a rolling Utica team and should get the confidence up. 

Makes you wonder what the point of making the opening night roster was then if he was just going to be scratched for the majority the games anyway. Could've just started in Utica and we could have kept someone else who would've played, possibly Baertschi. 

I can see the logic for him making it out of camp, sends a good message , raises his confidence etc. Also don't mind him hanging around for a few healthy scratches to get the big league training and paycheck. Would have preferred to send him down a week ago or so, but no biggie, will be super good for him to join a winning team as the top center and play with skilled wingers and evolve his own game.

As for the future - I'm not really sure what we have in Gaudette - time will tell...

11 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Hope to see him paired up with Goldy and Baer on the wings in Utica... that would be one loaded line IMO.

In Utica Goldy and Bae have shown a pass first mentality where last season in Utica Gauds showed a shoot first mentality so that combination could do some damage feeding Gaudette the puck.  I guess it depends on what they want Gauds to work on down in Utica and then put him on a line that best fits that need.  I could also see him replacing Perron on the Bailey and MacEwen line with Perron going back to his natural spot on the wing which is something Ben Birnell tweeted earlier.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

In Utica Goldy and Bae have shown a pass first mentality where last season in Utica Gauds showed a shoot first mentality so that combination could do some damage feeding Gaudette the puck.  I guess it depends on what they want Gauds to work on down in Utica and then put him on a line that best fits that need.  I could also see him replacing Perron on the Bailey and MacEwen line with Perron going back to his natural spot on the wing which is something Ben Birnell tweeted earlier.

Faceoff reps and PK time are what's going to get him into the NHL lineup sooner (to make Sutter expendable). The offense will just be gravy at this point.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, UticaHockey said:

It might be more of a cultural approach.  

Baertschi was saying that the good thing of playing with Goldodin and Jasek is that all 3 are Europeans and think the same way.  He was laughing but there's probably some truth to it.  

CBJ's goalie coach was telling Portzline that "European play is much more stylish and creative. In the NHL, no shot on goal is a bad shot on goal. But forcing a shot — one that’s an odd angle, or not a strong scoring chance — is almost regarded as selfish in Europe."

They prefer to create the scoring opportunity and then take the shot rather than just shoot and hope for a goal.

5 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Nice to see he got sent down as he'll get some playing time on a rolling Utica team and should get the confidence up. 

Makes you wonder what the point of making the opening night roster was then if he was just going to be scratched for the majority the games anyway. Could've just started in Utica and we could have kept someone else who would've played, possibly Baertschi. 

Hindsight.

Gaud lit up the pre season and no one knew if he would continue with that in the NHL regular season or even if he would get better.

No biggy....I hope he racks up the points in Utica and plays a ton!

33 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Hindsight.

Gaud lit up the pre season and no one knew if he would continue with that in the NHL regular season or even if he would get better.

No biggy....I hope he racks up the points in Utica and plays a ton!

Would have helped if he didn't get scratched while on his hot streak. Has to hurt the confidence to play extremely well and then be scratched right off the bat for the season start

• Upvote 1

On 10/23/2019 at 4:03 PM, Alflives said:

I like Baer too, and would (for his best) like to see him in the NHL.  However, for our team's best, I want to keep Baer in the AHL.  The guys on our team know that if they don't perform, Baer could come up and take their place, and they could be the one on waivers.  It's that internal and external pressure that some athletes need to be extra motivated.  

Then never get a player to sign with you again.  

It's one thing to sit out or send down a guy who has clearly declined/failed to live up to his deal.   

But to keep a guy down who is clearly able to play NHL minutes and be effective.  You don't stand in the way of someone's career.   

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Then never get a player to sign with you again.  

It's one thing to sit out or send down a guy who has clearly declined/failed to live up to his deal.   

But to keep a guy down who is clearly able to play NHL minutes and be effective.  You don't stand in the way of someone's career.   

I kind of agree, but selfishly like having the depth of talent Baer provides.  With his contract he gets paid the same whether in the NHL or AHL.  You’re right though.  Baer is clearly an NHL player, and deserves to play in the league.