The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I am wondering if the rise of Madden could make Adam expendable?

That’s what JB has said about our window for winning to stay open for a long period.  Support players (which Gaudette is) will be replaced by guys coming up on their ELC’s, when they age out or become too expensive.  

We have Petey, Hughes, Bo, and Bess as our core pieces.  The rest will be replaced as this team goes through the next decade.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

That’s what JB has said about our window for winning to stay open for a long period.  Support players (which Gaudette is) will be replaced by guys coming up on their ELC’s, when they age out or become too expensive.  

We have Petey, Hughes, Bo, and Bess as our core pieces.  The rest will be replaced as this team goes through the next decade.

I think JB was referring to some of the vets as the support players that would be replaced.  Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Schaller, Leivo, Motte and others will all be gone in the next 2-4 years.

Gaud has only played 104 games so far and has managed to more than double his points from last season.  He is learning the 3C position, which is a difficult role to fill and is proving that he is an NHL player.  He can also shift to the RW if needed.  Teams are more than happy to hang onto their own draft picks, if they pan out as decent support players.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I think JB was referring to some of the vets as the support players that would be replaced.  Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Schaller, Leivo, Motte and others will all be gone in the next 2-4 years.

Gaud has only played 104 games so far and has managed to more than double his points from last season.  He is learning the 3C position, which is a difficult role to fill and is proving that he is an NHL player.  He can also shift to the RW if needed.  Teams are more than happy to hang onto their own draft picks, if they pan out as decent support players.

I totally agree, and like Hockey Gaud.  But if Gaud starts to earn more cap dollars than we can afford, I see JB trading him for picks/prospects.  I see JB doing that with any player, who is not part of our core.  IMO that’s how JB plans to sustain. Our window for winning. 

On 1/23/2020 at 7:44 AM, redhdlois said:

Looks like Hockey Gaud got hitched over the All Star Break......congrats to Adam and his lovely bride.

6D353272-C805-412F-95FB-2796C62EE676.png

Kid has more game that I gave him credit for.   I hope he continues to work hard on his o-zone coverages.

15 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Kid has more game that I gave him credit for.   I hope he continues to work hard on his o-zone coverages.

That and to gain lower body mass.  He’s never going to be a top point getter, so he’s going to have to be a really hard guy to play against.  That’s difficult to do when he’s so light in the lower body.  

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That and to gain lower body mass.  He’s never going to be a top point getter, so he’s going to have to be a really hard guy to play against.  That’s difficult to do when he’s so light in the lower body.  

I was going to say something similar. The guy has obvious skills but gets regularly outmuscled out there. If he wants to thrive in the NHL, he is going to have to win more battles - especially in the corners and along the boards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I thought Zepp was being cheeky. This takes it to another level if also being cheeky.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

In what world is Gaudette a support piece? He's a young player who has yet to reach his ceiling... He's a future piece to this team...

1 hour ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

In what world is Gaudette a support piece? He's a young player who has yet to reach his ceiling... He's a future piece to this team...

A player is either a core piece, or they’re not.  Yes, some support pieces are better and more important to others, but they are still interchangeable parts.  Love Gaud, but when he gets too expensive he’s gone.  And I would expect, when the time comes, he will be traded for picks/ prospects.  This is the cap era.