The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

A player is either a core piece, or they’re not.  Yes, some support pieces are better and more important to others, but they are still interchangeable parts.  Love Gaud, but when he gets too expensive he’s gone.  And I would expect, when the time comes, he will be traded for picks/ prospects.  This is the cap era.  

At what point does Gaudette, a guy whos an RFA for possibly a whole other contract, not be a core part of the team. Why isn't he going to be a core piece? A young centre who's earned a full time roll at such a young age isn't something you trade. You trade for it.

Edited by 5Fivehole0
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

At what point does Gaudette, a guy whos an RFA for possibly a whole other contract. Why isn't he going to be a core piece? A young centre who's earned a full time roll at such a young age isn't something you trade. You trade for it.

I guess it depends on how core is defined.  To me core guys are the ones who get the biggest dollars when their contracts come up, are the most difficult to replace, and contribute most to winning.  I see only 3- 5 guys as core to a team.   For us I see Petey, Hughes, Bo, and Bess.  Gaud would have to become more important than Petey or Bo.  I don’t see that.  So, when Gaud earns a contract that is more than what we can afford, he will be traded for picks.  

Horvat, Pettersson and Miller drive play. Boeser despite of his pedigree does not drive play. This is why fans are excited about Gaudette because you see his spunk TRYING to drive play. However, Gaudette does not drive play very well despite of his enthusiasm. Now you have 3 guys on the 3rd line who are not particularly good at driving plays. 

Neither Gaudette nor Roussel are doing a good job of getting the puck and giving it to Boeser especially on top of the slot. 

Now 2 of the 3 guys are "kids" and they are still developing. Thus I think the problem is Roussel and he needs to be replaced with Justin Baily. Travis Green broke my heart by sitting Jordie Benn, he needs to bench Roussel.

Edited by Maddogy
  • Wat 2

Gonna be real, Gaudette is atrocious at faceoffs. That line needs Sutter/Beagle. Just like how Petey has Miller to take all his draws for him cause Petey is bit of a liability in the dot too. At least he is 44% but whatever. Gaudette was 3/10 against Carolina. If he plays better at center, he needs a true center to take the draws for him. Or move him to the wing. Either way the guy takes too many faceoffs considering how inept he is at them. 300+ faceoffs for Gaudette (39% in the dot) and Petey has like 120+ faceoffs taken. Gaudette's corsi is so low cause they lose the faceoff every time he's on the ice and Roussel, Gaudette, and Jake/Boeser aren't really defensive stalwarts to regain the puck.

Ready for the confused faces from those that actually believed he was Kesler 2.0.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I guess it depends on how core is defined.  To me core guys are the ones who get the biggest dollars when their contracts come up, are the most difficult to replace, and contribute most to winning.  I see only 3- 5 guys as core to a team.   For us I see Petey, Hughes, Bo, and Bess.  Gaud would have to become more important than Petey or Bo.  I don’t see that.  So, when Gaud earns a contract that is more than what we can afford, he will be traded for picks.  

Malhotra was a core guy. Someone you have labeled to a position, they fill a role. They are important to your success.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Gonna be real, Gaudette is atrocious at faceoffs. That line needs Sutter/Beagle. Just like how Petey has Miller to take all his draws for him cause Petey is bit of a liability in the dot too. At least he is 44% but whatever. Gaudette was 3/10 against Carolina. If he plays better at center, he needs a true center to take the draws for him. Or move him to the wing. Either way the guy takes too many faceoffs considering how inept he is at them. 300+ faceoffs for Gaudette (39% in the dot) and Petey has like 120+ faceoffs taken. Gaudette's corsi is so low cause they lose the faceoff every time he's on the ice and Roussel, Gaudette, and Jake/Boeser aren't really defensive stalwarts to regain the puck.

Ready for the confused faces from those that actually believed he was Kesler 2.0.

To be fair he’s also a young guy acclimating to the NHL.  Kesler was 40.2% on faceoffs his first season in the NHL. Sutter was 38.6%.  Neither got past 50% until their fourth season.  There’s no reason why Gaudette wouldn’t get better as he gets stronger and more experienced. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Gaudette only has played 104 games in the NHL.   Manny Mahotra will pass on his knowledge to improve his faceoff skills.

Most NHL forwards not named Petty, Sid or Mario don't start out getting a point a game.  NHL forwards take around 300 games until they are established regular players.  Dman 4-5 year unless you are Makar or Quinn Hughes.

Gaudette has 23 points in 43 games this year.  That over 0.50 points a game and still developing

Gaudette has 35 points in 104 NHL games..  Only 16 games played in Utica.

Kelser had 28 pts in 110 NHL games.     110 games played as a Moose

We have a Calder Memorial Trophy winner, one runner up and another potential one this year.....and this 2018 Hobey Baker winner.

I see a fast, crazy, in your face , line of Madden, Gaudette and Podkolzin in the future.

Benning is building very good hockey team  that will challenge for the Stanley Cup for many years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Hard to question GMJB when it comes to judging talent, but I don’t really see the rationale for letting Gaudette develop as a 3rd line center on the roster instead of playing wing or cooking in the AHL. He has 13 even strength points in 43 games which is not terrible but not very good either in a sheltered role. He also struggles with face offs and on defense.

Like I said I trust that the staff know what they are doing, and maybe it makes more sense if you look at him as an offensive 4C, which you could argue he is at least on some nights. However, if we for instance play Edmonton in the first playoff round, who do you think they will match McDavid and Draisatl against on every opportunity and especially at home ice? 

Don’t see that happening though, maybe Sutter will take the 3C spot by then. 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, J-P said:

I don’t really see the rationale for letting Gaudette develop as a 3rd line center on the roster instead of playing wing or cooking in the AHL

Gaudette has to clear waivers to cook in the AHL.

What you are arguing is essentially, not that he is not good enough to be our 3rd line centre. Its whether he is good enough to be SJ's 2knd line centre, with Hertl out. Or if he could have xhemistry with Duclair in Ottawa? Gaudette needs some sheltering. But plays his guts out, worth mentioning, and has 0.53 points per game. Which is good, approaching very good 3 C numbers, sheltering notwithstanding.

A non play play off team would love to get their mitts on a young (pivot) that still has some potential.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Gaudette has to clear waivers to cook in the AHL.

What you are arguing is essentially, not that he is not good enough to be our 3rd line centre. Its whether he is good enough to be SJ's 2knd line centre, with Hertl out. Or if he could have xhemistry with Duclair in Ottawa? Gaudette needs some sheltering. But plays his guts out, worth mentioning, and has 0.53 points per game. Which is good, approaching very good 3 C numbers, sheltering notwithstanding.

A non play play off team would love to get their mitts on a young (pivot) that still has some potential.

IMHO many CDC fans are short on patience for developing players. Gaudette was not penciled in for full time NHL this year but forced his way onto the roster. The experience he gets this year will see him blossum. Let him play and enjoy. If prospect depth forces him out then there is an asset who will bring back a solid return. In Benning I trust. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2020 at 6:12 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

IMO he should just be converted to wing and put with Bo. Would give him a lot more opportunity and freedom offensively.

Top 6 forwards are harder to find then 3rd line centers.

That WOULD probably be great, however at least for this season it's best that Loui stay in the RW spot as he's finally got purpose in the roster on a shutdown line.

If/ when he retires then I would agree that he should get a chance (should be either him or Boeser). 

In the meantime though it's great that there's an offensive 3rd line with AG to improve depth.

On 2/4/2020 at 1:12 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

IMO he should just be converted to wing and put with Bo. Would give him a lot more opportunity and freedom offensively.

Top 6 forwards are harder to find then 3rd line centers.

I am not sure this was true? Pitt was a contender for 6 or 8 years with Sid & Geno. Won their 2knd cup after that hiatus. When Bonino arrived. 3C was critical for them. To unlock their team. It was not the only factor, for sure. But a key one. 

Now Gaud as a winger?  Yes he busts his butt.  But does not have Motte's speed, nor Ferland or Pearsons size & strength. I dont see him the athlete, as being more ideal than in his current role. Gaudette is not unlike Bonino, in that he can use his smarts, and hockey skills to control the play. Yet is neither big, nor lethally fast.

But think long term? Short, maybe even medium term. We have Sutter, Beagle, Miller. Yet dont have another Bo just drafted at pivot. Madden, like Gaudette, will have to deveop physically, gain size and strength to be effective. He is not a blue chip, top ten drafted athlete with complete physical tools. Madden is playing college at 155 lbs. Our pipeline needs Gaudette in the middle!  

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I am not sure this was true? Pitt was a contender for 6 or 8 years with Sid & Geno. Won their 2knd cup after that hiatus. When Bonino arrived. 3C was critical for them. To unlock their team. It was not the only factor, for sure. But a key one. 

Now Gaud as a winger?  Yes he busts his butt.  But does not have Motte's speed, nor Ferland or Pearsons size & strength. I dont see him the athlete, as being more ideal than in his current role. Gaudette is not unlike Bonino, in that he can use his smarts, and hockey skills to control the play. Yet is neither big, nor lethally fast.

But think long term? Short, maybe even medium term. We have Sutter, Beagle, Miller. Yet dont have another Bo just drafted at pivot. Madden, like Gaudette, will have to deveop physically, gain size and strength to be effective. He is not a blue chip, top ten drafted athlete with complete physical tools. Madden is playing college at 155 lbs. Our pipeline needs Gaudette in the middle!  

I'm open to moving Gaudette for the right deal. Madden is playing well, but we also have Focht who has size and is looking good. Karlsson and Costmar are having decent years for the prospect pipeline. Of course all these players need development time to mature physically and mentally, but they make me feel comfortable with moving Gaudette if he is the piece a team wants that bolsters a weakness for us.

Bo and EP are pretty much locks for the top 2 center spots. So if we need to find a stop gap 3C (currently playing in a sheltered role now anyway) until those other prospects (and potentially any other future draftees), I'm comfortable with that.

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

They didn't draft Bones, they traded for him. They can we had a lot easier via trade and FA than a top 6 forward. Just goes to show that they can be had a lot easier. Also we have Madden in the wings as the contingent.

Gaudette hasn't been great at what he needs be to good at as a 3rd C defense and face offs. Hence Horvat's taking 100% defensive zone draws while he is on the bench, his time is limited being sheltered. A lot of his points early on we're coming off the wing on the rush. He's had success there early on till he was moved at C with Sutter/Beagle injury so it's not as if he is worse there. He's an forechecker that works hard and has a has a pretty decent shot. Playing the wing will allow him to play to his strengths while taking away his weaknesses. Furthermore playing with better players may help him unlock his offensive potential.

3rd C can be had via trade/FA. If Sutter's healthy he's one but I don't think we can count on that anymore.

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm open to moving Gaudette for the right deal. Madden is playing well, but we also have Focht who has size and is looking good. Karlsson and Costmar are having decent years for the prospect pipeline. Of course all these players need development time to mature physically and mentally, but they make me feel comfortable with moving Gaudette if he is the piece a team wants that bolsters a weakness for us.

Bo and EP are pretty much locks for the top 2 center spots. So if we need to find a stop gap 3C (currently playing in a sheltered role now anyway) until those other prospects (and potentially any other future draftees), I'm comfortable with that.

If we trade Gaud we'd have to land a solid forward like Rakell from ANA. Might want a bit on top of that They said they'd take some bad contracts too so maybe give them some picks and a guy like Woo to take Eriksson and one of Baer/Sutter off our hands. Use that cap to re-sign our guys and sign some grit that could be had cheap like Clifford from LA.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we trade Gaud we'd have to land a solid forward like Rakell from ANA. Might want a bit on top of that They said they'd take some bad contracts too so maybe give them some picks and a guy like Woo to take Eriksson and one of Baer/Sutter off our hands. Use that cap to re-sign our guys and sign some grit that could be had cheap like Clifford from LA.

Certainly an option. Whatever the case, I don't think he's untouchable. Not sure what the market is for him though around the league.