The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

On March 10, 2020 at 1:02 AM, Comeback_Kings said:

i don't know, see Bo Horvat more like the Rod Brindamour type.  Maybe Gaudette should aspire to be a 1c.  Having trouble finding a comparable player, maybe like Fedorov, long, rangy, fast, can check and hit, can score... not sure 

Yes hard to read Gaudete with only 1 season..He really showed improvement from previous year of course playing more minutes.

See Gaudette as future GP - 75 -- G 18-23 -- 45 -50 PTS playing 3rd line PP time and with injuries could play more minutes...

Great to have 3 very good Centre ice men  Petey - Bo - Gaudette -- always pick up 4th line guy as they play maybe 8 -11 minutes..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 11:43 AM, ruilin96 said:

I really like the center depth this organization has going forward. Pettersson as #1, Bo Horvat as #2, and Adam Gaudette as #3. Not to mention Miller who can also play center and he is a beast in the face-off circle as well. I think the Canucks are just a couple of legit top 2 or top 3 defenseman away from being a contender.

I agree, but that is easier said than done - particularly given our cap status.

Despite having the amazing Mr. Hughes, I feel we need more scoring from the back end still. Either individually or as a group. Add that in, then all that is left is for the coaches to come up with the right systems. Preferably one that includes the ability to find a way to play 5 on 5.

I find it odd that with most good players, you get a feel pretty quickly how good they will or might be. With Gauds, I still have no idea.

Edited by kloubek
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I agree, but that is easier said than done - particularly given our cap status.

Despite having the amazing Mr. Hughes, I feel we need more scoring from the back end still. Either individually or as a group. Add that in, then all that is left is for the coaches to come up with the right systems. Preferably one that includes the ability to find a way to play 5 on 5.

I find it odd that with most good players, you get a feel pretty quickly how good they will or might be. With Gauds, I still have no idea.

I'm curious to see what AG will top out as. 

It seems like every challenge so far hes conquered.

He seems to be within reach of being a top 6 centre offensively and I think like other challenges he will continue to improve on his defensive game. I sometimes wonder if AG does become capable of 60+ points but his D game peaks at just average, I wonder if he and Horvat switch spots using the 3rd line as a more conventional line instead of being so heavily sheltered?

With Podz, Hog, and maybe even Lind, coming up, putting Gaudette with good 2-way wingers while having Bo on the 3rd could pose some interesting mismatches. 

13 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I'm curious to see what AG will top out as. 

It seems like every challenge so far hes conquered.

He seems to be within reach of being a top 6 centre offensively and I think like other challenges he will continue to improve on his defensive game. I sometimes wonder if AG does become capable of 60+ points but his D game peaks at just average, I wonder if he and Horvat switch spots using the 3rd line as a more conventional line instead of being so heavily sheltered?

With Podz, Hog, and maybe even Lind, coming up, putting Gaudette with good 2-way wingers while having Bo on the 3rd could pose some interesting mismatches. 

I do hope he gets to the point of being considered for a top 6 center role. He still has lots of learning to do but as you say - he has excelled at virtually every challenge thrown at him. 

I am not sure we would want to throw Bo's talent down on the 3rd line, but as you say, Bo already has a good 2 way game and the 3rd os typically a more defensive line.

If we did manage to have 3 top six centers, that's one hell of a good problem to have...

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I do hope he gets to the point of being considered for a top 6 center role. He still has lots of learning to do but as you say - he has excelled at virtually every challenge thrown at him. 

I am not sure we would want to throw Bo's talent down on the 3rd line, but as you say, Bo already has a good 2 way game and the 3rd os typically a more defensive line.

If we did manage to have 3 top six centers, that's one hell of a good problem to have...

A lot of the best teams often have eight or nine top six forwards, so it'd be a great sign for us. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reading some draft profiles and updated reviews on Gaudette

It confuses me a little that his review talk about him being a solid two way player

Yet he is having so much trouble on the Canucks?

From Elite Prospects

An all-around forward that loves to compete and can play multiple roles. Strong and fast on his skates and is hard to knock off the puck. Likes to go hard to the net, where time and space is reduced. Offensively, there is a lot of flare to his game as he doesn't give the opposition a lot of time to react; gets shots off quickly and thinks ahead when making plays. Doesn't shy away from the physical game either and looks for different kinds of opportunities to create energy. Responsible defensively and transitions up-ice quickly. Gaudette is the kind of player that can be a difference-maker in a game in multiple ways. [EP]

Edited by janisahockeynut

8 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

It confuses me a little that his review talk about him being a solid two way player

From Elite Prospects

An all-around forward that loves to compete and can play multiple roles. Strong and fast on his skates and is hard to knock off the puck. Likes to go hard to the net, where time and space is reduced. Offensively, there is a lot of flare to his game as he doesn't give the opposition a lot of time to react; gets shots off quickly and thinks ahead when making plays. Doesn't shy away from the physical game either and looks for different kinds of opportunities to create energy. Responsible defensively and transitions up-ice quickly. Gaudette is the kind of player that can be a difference-maker in a game in multiple ways. [EP]

He's simply not strong enough physically nor a good enough skater.

He is a talented offensive player being used incorrectly.

The guy can rip one-timers on the PP. He is good on the forecheck and around the net. But he cannot be counted on to play good defence, hence why he's not playing in the playoffs.

24 minutes ago, nergish said:

He's simply not strong enough physically nor a good enough skater.

He is a talented offensive player being used incorrectly.

The guy can rip one-timers on the PP. He is good on the forecheck and around the net. But he cannot be counted on to play good defence, hence why he's not playing in the playoffs.

I just realized that Petterson is both taller and heavier than Gaudette.... 

Quick, get him on the Wellwood diet in the off-season :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

From Elite Prospects

Those kind of pre-draft write ups are always relative to their peers and who they've played against and been better than. We can never know how a player will fare when up against the best in the world.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

44 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Those kind of pre-draft write ups are always relative to their peers and who they've played against and been better than. We can never know how a player will fare when up against the best in the world.

Well, yes I know, but..........................

Here is why I ask......

There are tons of players Gaudettes weight and size, who are actually slower, that play a solid defensive game

So, here is my thoughts on Gaudette for better or worse........a player that gets a prospect write up like that, where he is singled out for his defensive awareness, then does not show any at the next step up. mystifies me just a little.................you see, defensive awareness is not a physical thing, it is a mental thing and an IQ thing, which normally does not change from one league to another.

It is one thing when a player is too slow to apply his defensive IQ to a better league...........that makes sense, but when a player can skate with most players, then it becomes something else......sometimes its on the player, and sometimes on the defensive scheme.........or in the odd case it is the scouting. But in Gaudette's case, most scouting reports say he is a smart 2 way player..................so this is why I ask

To simply state what you said is a insult to most knowledgeable fans......(which I hope I am one????:picard:) The reason I say this, this way, is that Adam played NCAA hockey,. not junior.....you do not get that type of scouting report against men, if not true.......so it begs the question, why!

It is about IQ and not skating

Edited by janisahockeynut

• 3 weeks later...

Adam hasn't looked good at 3C during the playoffs. Dry offensively and weak defensively. The tying goal today was on him (play wise, Marky was weak on the shot).

I'm skeptical of how much he can improve defensively moving forward.

Is it time to shop for a better 2-way 3C next season?

10 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Adam hasn't looked good at 3C during the playoffs. Dry offensively and weak defensively. The tying goal today was on him (play wise, Marky was weak on the shot).

I'm skeptical of how much he can improve defensively moving forward.

Is it time to shop for a better 2-way 3C next season?

If he can't improve then his future is at wing and decisions will have to be made in the near future with Virtanen, Boeser and Gaud when the next wave of youngsters come.

41 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If he can't improve then his future is at wing and decisions will have to be made in the near future with Virtanen, Boeser and Gaud when the next wave of youngsters come.

Don't think he can stick here at wing tbh. I'm sure we'll get Toffoli signed and Boeser/Virtanen/Podkolzin/Leivo/Macewen/Lind are all there or soon to be there.

Just makes sense to use him as a trade chip if he can't provide what we need as a key piece to our team moving forward yenno?

19 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Don't think he can stick here at wing tbh. I'm sure we'll get Toffoli signed and Boeser/Virtanen/Podkolzin/Leivo/Macewen/Lind are all there or soon to be there.

Just makes sense to use him as a trade chip if he can't provide what we need as a key piece to our team moving forward yenno?

Rather trade Virtanen if we were to trade one now since he's gonna have a bigger contract. Gaudette can't be offer-sheeted or go to arbitration so he isn't gonna get a lot.

Gaudette also plays with more intensity/effort than Virtanen does. He has 1/2 the experience of Virtanen despite still having a breakout year the same time as Virtanen.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Rather trade Virtanen if we were to trade one now since he's gonna have a bigger contract. Gaudette can't be offer-sheeted or go to arbitration so he isn't gonna get a lot.

Gaudette also plays with more intensity/effort than Virtanen does. He has 1/2 the experience of Virtanen despite still having a breakout year the same time as Virtanen.

Fair points, I agree Jake's consistency in effort is annoying but he's still a better player defensively than Adam and he's already scoring at a 20/20 pace. His versatility is also a major asset. Personally I'd trade Gaudette before Virtanen as long as we have an alternative option at 3C.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Brutal playoff showing from Adam.

I don't believe in his defensive upside. Hope we can deal him for a useful asset and acquire a better 3C.

Yeah honestly I love what he brought in the regular season. He was our worst player in the playoffs imo.

• Cheers 1