The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

He's a net front presence, chippy player that can make a pass. Gaudette is relied upon for the PK and managed to move himself up to the first line as a freshman. Very promising first year college. 

The best part is, the Canucks don't have to pay a dime for his development, and retain his rights until after his senior year. Adam could be a finished product by then. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

He's a net front presence, chippy player that can make a pass. Gaudette is relied upon for the PK and managed to move himself up to the first line as a freshman. Very promising first year college. 

The best part is, the Canucks don't have to pay a dime for his development, and retain his rights until after his senior year. Adam could be a finished product by then. 

And signing with the Home town Bah-Stan Bruins 

• 1 month later...

Found this on the Canucks website. Really good insight on Gaudette's year.

- Started off the year slow, then played at just over a point/game pace from January 1 onwards, scoring 25 points in his final 23 games

- Two-way centre that can play in all situations, but particularly stood out in 5 on 5 play

- 6'1" and 170 lbs, but plays with a non-stop motor. 

- "My parents really put that through me and my brother's brains" Gaudette said. "It's how we grew up. We were taught to work hard at what you do and you will get great results." 

- Plays well in big games, scoring a goal and an assist against Thatcher Demko and BU in in the semifinals, then scored another goal in a win in the Championship Game against UMass-Lowell.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=888674&utm_source=social&utm_medium=hootsuite&utm_campaign=

Good Gaud

One of a handful of Canucks prospects hitting the ice at the 2016 Canucks Development Camp this week in Shawnigan Lake is Adam Gaudette, a centre with Northeastern University who tallied 30 points (12-18-30) in 41 games, finishing 11th among all NCAA freshman in scoring.

“He had such a strong season with Northeastern,” said Canucks Director of Player Development Stan Smyl. “Winning the Hockey East Conference was a big confidence booster for him as he was a big part of it. He is a strong, two-way centre that can also play right wing for you. He contributes everywhere such as the penalty kill and power play, but what impressed me was his play five-on-five. He stood out in that area and to me five-on-five makes a difference in a player and is going to make a difference in his game.”

Overall, his 30 points as a first-year player looks good. But what makes his season even more impressive was the work he did after January 1, scoring 25 points in his final 23 games, as opposed to just five points in his first 16 games.

“I knew I was going to come in and play a little bit,” said Gaudette, who spent the majority of the season as the second line centre. “I just tried to play my game so I could stay in the lineup and have a good spot. I started to produce a little bit and got more time on the power play, which helped. I just felt right out there and every game I got more and more comfortable.

“My linemates and I found what worked with each other. We got comfortable with each other, had more confidence out there and it just came more naturally.”

All of this for a guy that wasn’t even supposed to be playing in the NCAA last season. The plan was to spend another season with Cedar Rapids in the USHL, where he had 30 points (13-17-30) in 50 games during the 2014-15 campaign, then enroll with Northeastern for the 2016-17 season. But things changed.

“I chatted with the Northeastern coaches a bit earlier the previous season and they talked about perhaps bringing me in a year early,” said Gaudette, a fifth round pick in 2015. “I had a good season and they decided to bring me to Northeastern a year early and it was great for me cause I could come back and play so close to home.”

The decision worked out well for the Braintree, MA product. Northeastern captured their first Hockey East Tournament Championship since 1988. Gaudette tallied a goal and assist as they got past Thatcher Demko and Boston University in the semifinals. He then had another goal in the Championship game, a 3-2 win over UMass-Lowell.

One thing that was evident in watching those games was his motor that didn’t seem to ever stop. The 6-foot-1, 170-pounder was noticeably one of the hardest working players on the ice shift after shift, something he says has been a part of his game since he was a youngster.

“It’s always been there since I was a little,” said Gaudette. “My parents really put that through me and my brother’s brains. It’s how we grew up. We were taught to work hard at what you do and you will get great results.”

He may not have been a first round pick, and he may not have posted record-breaking numbers, but with a couple more seasons in the NCAA, Adam Gaudette could develop into a steal of a fifth round pick for the Canucks.

• Upvote 2

Adam Gaudette went from 5th round pick to 2nd line point-per-game centre on a championship Northeastern team as a freshman. What do you guys think his ceiling or potential is given his exceptional development this past year?

Two-way middle 6 centre if he continues his development?

9 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Adam Gaudette went from 5th round pick to 2nd line point-per-game centre on a championship Northeastern team as a freshman. What do you guys think his ceiling or potential is given his exceptional development this past year?

Two-way middle 6 centre if he continues his development?

We'll know more after his second season IMO. 

If he can carry on where he left off and be at a point or game or higher the whole season I don't see why his projection can't be a third line center at least.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We'll know more after his second season IMO. 

If he can carry on where he left off and be at a point or game or higher the whole season I don't see why his projection can't be a third line center at least.

This. The strugglenfor most prospects is continuing their development. Many og or pucks look good their draft +1 year. The real challenge is improving on that year and the following year. Jensen is the poster child for this theory.

Gaudette really seems like Kesler 2.0 to me. Plays the same position, both are right hand shots, both have a real non-stop motor, both play in all situations, both are feisty and play with an attitude. He does not have Kesler's size or strength but if he can continue the progress he had in his freshman year he may turn out to be a great 5th round pick.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Gaudette really seems like Kesler 2.0 to me. Plays the same position, both are right hand shots, both have a real non-stop motor, both play in all situations, both are feisty and play with an attitude. He does not have Kesler's size or strength but if he can continue the progress he had in his freshman year he may turn out to be a great 5th round pick.

Totally agreed. Love his game and what he brings. If there was a re-draft I'd put money on that this guy would go in Round 2. Tough to predict the future and who actually will break out of the later rounds ala Benn but this would be a gem of a steal if he can continue his development.

On 7/6/2016 at 6:00 AM, Rick Blight said:

Gaudette's skating needs to improve to be Kesler. He does have similarities, Gaudette has to add some weight too. 

• 2 months later...

Aw crap. I forgot the game was today. I'll be sure to go to the one on the 15th against Bentley and hopefully take some videos too. I live like 2 minutes away from Matthews so no excuses for me next time. Everybody I've talked to said Gaudette had a good game though, so that's a good sign. 

• Upvote 2