The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

And the islanders decided to troll with their pick and pick an asian dude :emot-parrot::emot-parrot::emot-parrot:

His name Is Andong Song. Who is a better pick at the 171st? Of course he is longshot.

He is a hockey player who played on China's national hockey team. Did you think they pick some guy from the little village by the rice paddies? His parents moved him to Oakville, Ontario to give him a chance to play hockey. Dennis Yan's parents had the same idea. He was picked in the 2nd round pick -64th overall- (born in Portland, Oregon) who moved back to Russia at age 5, then moved back to American at age 14 to play hockey.

The NY Islanders are the forerunners into promoting hockey in China- the Canucks went there too.

NYI owner-Charles Wang- started hockey projects where a NY youth team and three Finland youth teams went to China to play hockey. It was a big life experience for all. Who knows when an Asian born hockey player (Rod Langway) make the NHL?

I bet you were one of the ones who thought Ya Ming would be a flop.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/andong-song-becomes-1st-chinese-born-player-taken-in-nhl-draft-1.3130538

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=43377

In 38 games he put up 21 goals and 29 assists while being a 15 year old in the Czech U18 league.

In comparison Palat put up 2 goals and 7 assists in 22 games in the Czech U18 league as a 15 year old.

I know Palat took huge leaps forward after that but that's still impressive.

As a 16 year old Jasek opted to join the swiss league and proved he could play at the U18 level there but wasn't able to produce as much as he did there at the U20 level.

Fast forward a year later he's back in the Czech league, dominates in the U20 league there, proves he is too good for the U20 league there and plays 27 games in the Czechs mens league. Unfortunately he wasn't able to produce as well as he did there than he did at the U20 level.

History has shown he is gets better year after year. Could end up being a real good pick.

Hopefully he ends up playing somewhere in the CHL next year. It would show how committed he is and I really would like to see what he can do over here.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Upvote 1

I thought he was going to go much earlier. He's a 3rd rounder that fell far.

I'm excited for this kid. Lot's of potential. And he's also wanting to go to the CHL which is another bonus.

definitely a bonus. Plus he can go ton the ahl whenever we choose which is another bonus. Edited by Gooseberries

In 38 games he put up 21 goals and 29 assists while being a 15 year old in the Czech U18 league.

In comparison Palat put up 2 goals and 7 assists in 22 games in the Czech U18 league as a 15 year old.

I know Palat took huge leaps forward after that but that's still impressive.

As a 16 year old Jasek opted to join the swiss league and proved he could play at the U18 level there but wasn't able to produce as much as he did there at the U20 level.

Fast forward a year later he's back in the Czech league, dominates in the U20 league there, proves he is too good for the U20 league there and plays 27 games in the Czechs mens league. Unfortunately he wasn't able to produce as well as he did there than he did at the U20 level.

History has shown he is gets better year after year. Could end up being a real good pick.

Hopefully he ends up playing somewhere in the CHL next year. It would show how committed he is and I really would like to see what he can do over here.

Very intriguing pick. He's played in quite a few different leagues at such a young age and has adapted well. Wouldn't expect such a young guy to produce in the men's league so early in his career.

Love that fact that he's ready to come over to Canada. I think this kid will light it up in the CHL.

Looking forward to see how he progresses over the next couple of years..

That fluff piece played a Stanley Cup final with broken ribs, that had to be frozen before each game. Played in the league for almost 20 years. Hit like a wrecking ball. Was president of the Players Association. Gave everything he had in every game. Scored 99 points in 124 playoff games, and won the Memorial Cup twice.

Sounds to me like a guy who knows hockey.

Hey! I'm not saying Linden won't go down as one of the best Canucks of all time, but Great hockey players aren't always the best executives.

The NHL best coaches and GMs who where NHL players were never premier or elite talents.

You'd think Gretzky, the greatest player that ever was/is, would be the best coach of all time. He wasn't, he was dreadful.

Sometimes what makes the greats great is their downfall in these executive positions because they can't relate to the average player. They thought the game at such a high level, or had such tremendous skill that anything less is incomprehensible for them. Instead of systems, tactics and structure, they relied on instincts.

He can go to the AHL yes?

We have plenty of talent for the AHL already. He can technically go to the AHL but would probably be better with a year in Junior. We'll have to wait and see who picks him up in the import draft.

Like any new GM JB is constrained by the circumstances of what he inherits, he may have paid a small premium for Key individual players like Miller, Sbisa and Dorsett in exchange for "NO" NTC's, but his eye for talent is exceedingly good as this pick demonstrates.

Like any new GM JB is constrained by the circumstances of what he inherits, he may have paid a small premium for Key individual players like Miller, Sbisa and Dorsett in exchange for "NO" NTC's, but his eye for talent is exceedingly good as this pick demonstrates.

Wow someone that actually thinks before they criticize Benning. Although I agree, I feel like he should have taken the deal for Bieksa.