The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think all the moving around the Czech leagues, and the lineups of those teams, actually helped prepare him.

Jašek arrived in Utica a veteran of around 200 men’s pro games, split between 5 different clubs, and three tiers, counting regular season, playoffs, and tournaments. And he was used in just about every role you can think of. So while people think of Europeans having to make the biggest adjustment as AHL rookies, I think he actually had a leg up on some of the junior and college kids in North America.

He also came over trying to win a contract, versus having one guaranteed by his draft position, and now that he’s here, he definitely doesn’t want to go back. So Jašek has a lot of motivation.

He’s been through those dark days with Trinec, where making a minor mistake got him benched. And even when he played extremely well, he still might get limited to 5 minutes of ice the next game he played, or even demoted. So he definitely didn’t come in with any sense of entitlement and believing the he should just be handed a role. He’s used to having to fight for everything he gets. So whatever role he’s been handed in Utica, he’s thrown himself in 100%, and tried to make the most of it. Whether that’s 4th line or 1st line, and playing wing or centre.

I’m sure the Utica coaches love him because they know that he’s going to work hard every night, and that they’ll get his best effort, regardless of the role and opportunity. I don’t think the same can always be said of some of our other prospects. Not that any of them are lazy or sulking, but just that they’re used to being top dogs as amateurs, so making that step up to pro, and adjusting from playing against boys to against men, can be quite humbling and a real learning experience.

For better or worse, there’s no question that Jašek experiences in the Czech leagues definitely were very humbling at times, especially his first couple pro seasons in Trinec. So I’m sure he’s grateful he’s now getting this chance and finally allowed to prove that he belongs at this level, playing in North America in a league just below the NHL (and possibly even getting his shot at the big league one day).

I’m really happy he’s having success. The kid deserves it, after everything he’s been through, and the long road that he’s traveled getting here. Obviously, I’ve been tracking him for some time, and I had a lot of belief in his abilities. I just wasn’t sure he’d ever get his chance. And for a while there, I thought his Czech team might ruin him. So it’s really nice to see things coming together for Jašek and him finally getting rewarded for his patience and determination.

Great insight as usual Sid. Ya I was having following him quite a bit last year and seeing him shuffled so much worried me for sure but it definitely built some character. Hopefully the other young guys can look to him as a good example of what it takes to get going. 

• Cheers 1

Another assist last night, plus the coveted “Canucks Army 3rd Star” from Comets Cory:

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/11/30/canucksarmy-utica-comets-post-game-utica-comets-drop-second-straight-4-2-decision-this-time-to-belleville/

“3rd Star: Lukas Jasek. Jasek saw time on the power play today and was playing mostly with players who can help him provide offence for the club. He picked up his sixth assist and is now up to 11 points in 19 games played this season. He is currently putting up 0.58 points/game, or 44 points over a 76 game season. That is some pretty solid production from the first year forward. Jasek looks to be earning the trust of his coaching staff as he was out in the final two minutes of the game with the team looking to tie things up.”

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Another assist last night, plus the coveted “Canucks Army 3rd Star” from Comets Cory:

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/11/30/canucksarmy-utica-comets-post-game-utica-comets-drop-second-straight-4-2-decision-this-time-to-belleville/

“3rd Star: Lukas Jasek. Jasek saw time on the power play today and was playing mostly with players who can help him provide offence for the club. He picked up his sixth assist and is now up to 11 points in 19 games played this season. He is currently putting up 0.58 points/game, or 44 points over a 76 game season. That is some pretty solid production from the first year forward. Jasek looks to be earning the trust of his coaching staff as he was out in the final two minutes of the game with the team looking to tie things up.”

Only real reason I read Canucksarmy anymore is for these articles on the Comets. Top class 

• Cheers 1

I've been really impressed with Jasek's evolution this year.  He was a complete no-show in Young Stars and training camp.  After a slow start in Utica he's becoming more and more noticeable.  I see him as a future third liner, maybe Markus Granlund-like in a year or two.

• Upvote 2

On 11/25/2018 at 6:03 AM, canucklehead44 said:

I find it interesting comparing Jasek to Palmu. Palmu plays in North American for junior, puts up dominant numbers his final year. Then he goes to the Liiga which is unanimously the third best European league and wins rookie of the year with 36 points in 59 games (.61 points/game). Juolevi scored .5 points/game on the same team. In the AHL, Palmu has 1 point, Juolevi has 13.

Jasek played in a weaker league (Czech league is likely around 5th or 6th best in Europe) and scores just 18 in 48 (.375 points/game) in what was his 4th pro season there. Now he has 16 points in 23 AHL games (0.7 points/game).

Palmu and Jasek are the exact same age. 

I was really excited about our "B" prospects this year (Juolevi is an "A" prospect). I'd define a B prospect as someone who is drafted recently in the 2nd round, they have a fair amount of excitement or discussion around them (won awards, world juniors etc.), and are players who anticipate to at least play a game in the NHL at some stage.They include Lind, Gadjovich, Dahlen, and Palmu. Dahlen has been OK but the rest have a combined five points this year. I expected maybe one of them to struggle, one of them to succeed, and the others to put around at around a point every other game. But they are looking almost destined to being sent to the ECHL. 

Our "C" prospects are carrying the team. They include MacEwen, Carcone, Jasek, and McEneny. Now to be fair Carcone and MacEwen are older and aren't rookies and McEneny is almost too old to be considered a prospect. 

I think what you brought up speaks on a bigger issue of evaluating talent.  

Thats why I was perfectly fine with Benning trading picks for 2nd and 3rd year professionals who were further along in their development.  

If the minimum draft age was 20, you’d see drafting become much more of a sure thing, like in the NBA where guys come in and are starters right away.  

Prospect > draft picks for me :)

15 minutes ago, Dungass said:

I've been really impressed with Jasek's evolution this year.  He was a complete no-show in Young Stars and training camp.  After a slow start in Utica he's becoming more and more noticeable.  I see him as a future third liner, maybe Markus Granlund-like in a year or two.

He has much better wheels than Granlund, but I agree with the comparison in terms of his versatility, both positional and role.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He has much better wheels than Granlund, but I agree with the comparison in terms of his versatility, both positional and role.

Ya his speed is what separates him from Granlund. He reminds me of Hansen with speed and the ability to play up and down the lineup.

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2018 at 6:03 AM, canucklehead44 said:

I find it interesting comparing Jasek to Palmu. Palmu plays in North American for junior, puts up dominant numbers his final year. Then he goes to the Liiga which is unanimously the third best European league and wins rookie of the year with 36 points in 59 games (.61 points/game). Juolevi scored .5 points/game on the same team. In the AHL, Palmu has 1 point, Juolevi has 13.

Jasek played in a weaker league (Czech league is likely around 5th or 6th best in Europe) and scores just 18 in 48 (.375 points/game) in what was his 4th pro season there. Now he has 16 points in 23 AHL games (0.7 points/game).

Palmu and Jasek are the exact same age. 

I was really excited about our "B" prospects this year (Juolevi is an "A" prospect). I'd define a B prospect as someone who is drafted recently in the 2nd round, they have a fair amount of excitement or discussion around them (won awards, world juniors etc.), and are players who anticipate to at least play a game in the NHL at some stage.They include Lind, Gadjovich, Dahlen, and Palmu. Dahlen has been OK but the rest have a combined five points this year. I expected maybe one of them to struggle, one of them to succeed, and the others to put around at around a point every other game. But they are looking almost destined to being sent to the ECHL. 

Our "C" prospects are carrying the team. They include MacEwen, Carcone, Jasek, and McEneny. Now to be fair Carcone and MacEwen are older and aren't rookies and McEneny is almost too old to be considered a prospect. 

In fairness to Lind, he has been injured.  Palmu just had his best game last night.  Gadjovich looked much more comfortable and picked up an assist, and Dahlen continues his strong play.  In addition, for Lind and Gadjovich, the transition is from junior to AHL, from boys to men, is a big jump.  Unless it’s for conditioning, I don’t see any of them headed to Kalamazoo just yet.

i don’t think pumping Jasek’s tires, a kid I have great admiration for, requires letting the air out of the tires of the B prospects - it’s way too early for that.

• Upvote 1

On 12/9/2018 at 3:45 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

In fairness to Lind, he has been injured.  Palmu just had his best game last night.  Gadjovich looked much more comfortable and picked up an assist, and Dahlen continues his strong play.  In addition, for Lind and Gadjovich, the transition is from junior to AHL, from boys to men, is a big jump.  Unless it’s for conditioning, I don’t see any of them headed to Kalamazoo just yet.

i don’t think pumping Jasek’s tires, a kid I have great admiration for, requires letting the air out of the tires of the B prospects - it’s way too early for that.

I think Jasek as a 'C' prospect is a great thing.  I recall Hansen (who really seems to be Jasek most comparable) as our 'A' prospect we added for a playoff run one season.  Lol.  The cupboards are full and we had to build a pantry.  

• Cheers 1

First line role seems to be agreeing with him. Jasek with 5 points in his last 6 games. Now up to 6G 8A 14 points in 23 games this season. After starting the year in and out of the lineup and playing mostly bottom six, Jasek is having a nice run of production playing in the top of the Comets lineup. Hopefully he keeps his spot, and keeps putting up numbers.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Sandro17 said:

A real heart and soul guy huh? What is his projection for his maximum potential?

I think his maximum potential is a Top 9 guy. A guy who can slot in your Top 6 when your lineup gets thinned out but is best served as a 3rd line winger. He's "Canucks comparable" is Jannik Hansen. Jasek plays with a lot of energy and is tenacious and though his style isn't an exact copy of Hansen... if Jasek can enter this young Canucks lineup as the "new age Hansen" -- that would be a helluva win for a 6th round pick.

This kid, much like Josh Leivo, sat a lot of games over the last two years. He came to Utica this past spring as a PTO, went on one helluva run, and earned a not so guaranteed ELC.... He's been playing well since.

JD Burke was on TSN 1040 today and said that Cull has actually played Jasek as a C in the past few games. Cull seems to be really warming up to this kid and with Carcone having been shipped off, and Palmu heading back to Finland, I expect Jasek to get a lot more playing time this season in Utica. I also believe that after Zach MacEwen gets a look from the Canucks, it'll be Jasek who gets a look, and then Dahlen.

I really like Jasek and definitely see a future for him as a role player for the Canucks in the years to come.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/15/2018 at 2:17 AM, kenhodgejr said:

I am a big fan of the Czech hockey program!! I think we should draft more players from it!

Definitely an underrated program. Some of that it just the fact the Czech leagues were undoubtedly in decline for a while, at least compared to the glory days when it was arguably the 2nd best league in Europe, but I think the Czechs are on the upswing now and many Extraliga teams are becoming comparable to SHL and Liiga teams (some of the recent Champions League results can attest to this). And stylistically, Extraliga games are much more “North American” than people tend to think. Good pace, good skill level, and far more physical than many people would assume.

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Definitely an underrated program. Some of that it just the fact the Czech leagues were undoubtedly in decline for a while, at least compared to the glory days when it was arguably the 2nd best league in Europe, but I think the Czechs are on the upswing now and many Extraliga teams are becoming comparable to SHL and Liiga teams (some of the recent Champions League results can attest to this). And stylistically, Extraliga games are much more “North American” than people tend to think. Good pace, good skill level, and far more physical than many people would assume.

The Czech's play hockey the way Canada used to. Always entertaining with speed and physicality.

• Haha 1