The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

On 2/15/2019 at 12:24 PM, Boudrias said:

Do fans really have any idea what these guys go thru? Most fans have never come close to taking a shot in the face. The concussion threat is always there let alone damage to the face with broken bones. The hands also take damage in a major way. Helmets are now mandatory and many do not take them off when they fight.  

Hands, more than anything.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I like Jasek a lot but if our kids cant get ice time it has to be discouraging.

When 2 good prospects want to leave your developmental team in the AHL then that should tell you theres an issue.

Development over winning. Develop your kids and you'll learn to win.

I have mixed views with this.

1. I agree with you that it would be great to give the prospects who project to be top 6 skilled forwards lots of Ice time in the top 6 so they can develop their game and get ready for the NHL. 

2. On the other hand I see if from Trent Cull's perspective that the best players get the biggest minutes. AHL guys like Bouchier, Kero, Megna, Chaput, Motte (now NHL), or even Sam Gagner are all better hockey players than 99% of young prospects leaving the CHL or other Euro leagues. So If your trying to win a hockey game your going to play your best hockey players in the most crucial moments. If some of your players have NHL experience they will get the most minutes. They will take the important face-offs not the prospect who is still working on his game. At least not until that prospect has earned the coaches trust. But this takes time. Also most prospects are not strong enough physically to battle back against the ex NHL players on the opposing teams so they get sheltered minutes. Zack MacEwen has the size and skating which allowed him to transition more easy. Dahlen and Palmu will get there in my opinion but need another couple years. I think Dahlen should have done what Palmu did and play in Europe. Maybe a season in the SHL would make him happy while  he got top 6 minutes allowing him to develop his game in Sweden's top league. Palmu is still a solid prospect with top 6 potential. Maybe next season he will be in a better position to compete for a spot with the Canucks or go to Utica and play a larger role with them. I hope we don't make the same mistake with Linus Karlsson. He should be allowed to flourish in the SHL before being brought to Utica. 

Edited by kenhodgejr

On 2/27/2019 at 12:30 PM, stawns said:

development doesn't trump winning, they need to walk hand in hand.  If you load up your lineup with kids and they get clobbered every night by teams with seasoned vets, then all they are going to do is learn how to lose.  If you let the vets carry the heavy load an use your kids wisely and put them in positions to succeed, then they will develop the right attitude and work ethic.

People are under the mistaken assumption that development comes, completely, from playing time.........it doesn't.  It comes from a variety of elements and ice time is just one of them.  This is the approach they've taken with youth since they got here and considering that the players they bring up are able to jump in and be solid players shows me they know what they are doing.

I agree. I checked out the amount of games, its not that bad as it turns out. Mceneny ( im not even gonna bother spelling his name right) has 55 games this year with the Comets, most of all the players. Dahlen has 50 games. If he's complaining about his situation or being scratched, he's gonna be in a whole world of trouble in the NHL where as a rookie, being scratched a LOT is normal unless your a superstar. Lind and Gadjovich are in the 30 plus games range, which isn't bad.Thats being sat almost 1 out of 3 games, that shouldn't be unusual for first time proffessionals. All this time I thought they were getting scratched left and right, played maybe 20 games out of a possible 55 but thats not the case. The young guys are just getting eased in, nothing wrong with that

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I agree. I checked out the amount of games, its not that bad as it turns out. Mceneny ( im not even gonna bother spelling his name right) has 55 games this year with the Comets, most of all the players. Dahlen has 50 games. If he's complaining about his situation or being scratched, he's gonna be in a whole world of trouble in the NHL where as a rookie, being scratched a LOT is normal unless your a superstar. Lind and Gadjovich are in the 30 plus games range, which isn't bad.Thats being sat almost 1 out of 3 games, that shouldn't be unusual for first time proffessionals. All this time I thought they were getting scratched left and right, played maybe 20 games out of a possible 55 but thats not the case. The young guys are just getting eased in, nothing wrong with that

Plus just looking at the numbers doesn't tell the whole story.  Both players have missed games because of injuries.  The number of games missed because they were healthy scratches were much lower.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

yet the media morons and their legions of trolls make it out like they have say out all but a handful of games this season, just so Cull can play the vets

• Wat 1

On 2/27/2019 at 12:17 PM, RetroCanuck said:

I like Jasek a lot but if our kids cant get ice time it has to be discouraging.

When 2 good prospects want to leave your developmental team in the AHL then that should tell you theres an issue.

Development over winning. Develop your kids and you'll learn to win.

how does a player learn to win by constantly losing? do you have examples of players this technique has worked for?

losing breeds losing. 

when a doctor graduates med school, some hospital administrator doesn't just hand them a scalpel and say, "ok, have at 'er." 

it's called on the job training and putting people in situations to succeed. these kids need to learn how to be pros. 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, tas said:

how does a player learn to win by constantly losing? do you have examples of players this technique has worked for?

losing breeds losing. 

when a doctor graduates med school, some hospital administrator doesn't just hand them a scalpel and say, "ok, have at 'er." 

it's called on the job training and putting people in situations to succeed. these kids need to learn how to be pros. 

Exactly, there nothing wrong going through an apprenticeship. There was a story, im trying to remember it correctly but its about Nail Yakupov. As you know the guy came in pretty highly regarded, thrown in the fire by the Oilers just like every high prospect they had, was just in a constantly losing environment with mostly young guys. Im not sure if this is the guy, but it might have been Andrew Ference, but anyways Oilers signed a journeyman player and Yakupov was just googly eyed, following him like a puppy dog since the vet knew how to carry himself like a pro. Its too bad Yakupov's career didn't work out, but pretaining to your analogy, a grad from med school just doesn't go do open heart surgery right off the bat, he watches a veteran do it and gets eased until that grad student can do it on his own. Look at our very our very own Adam Gaudette. Whos the guy he follows around the rink, trying to find out how to stay in the league and have a good career? Its not EP40 and its not Horvat...its Jay Beagle

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2019 at 5:33 PM, tas said:

losing breeds losing. 

They learn to hate losing by losing.  NHL history is full of teams that rose from dismal to greatness - Pittsburg with Lemieux and again with Crosby, the Islanders were terrible until they accumulated Trottier, Bossy, Potvin, etc. - they sure learned to win.  The Red Wings were terrible as they accumulated Yzerman, Fedorov, etc. and learned to win.  The problem is that too many people are soft as wet sponges and cave under hardship, winners thrive under hardship and become stronger and better.  Giving everyone a blue ribbon never taught anyone to strive to win.

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It really was a good rookie season for Jasek. I think his offensive stats when he came over for that stint late last season set expectations a bit high for this year (at least when it comes to projecting raw points). But considering how he was deployed this season, that’s some really solid production for a rookie AHLer. Jasek played a lot of his games in the bottom six, and not always with the most offensively gifted line mates. He also moved around a lot, playing all three forward positions, up and down the lineup, and with a rotating cast of line mates. The one consistent thing was his effort each night and his willingness to try to make the best of whatever situation he found himself in. Probably helps that Jasek has been through a lot in his young career, especially some of the dark times in the Czech leagues when he was languishing in Trinec. So I doubt much fazed him, when it came to his ice time, role, opportunities, instruction, lessons, and just being expected to “earn it.” Jasek seems like a guy who’s just happy to be getting a chance, and willing to work for everything he’s gets.

Watching the playoffs, and it's easy to see how rough the games are.  The players, especially the skilled guys, really have to have an internal toughness to play their best under such physical duress.  When our young guys are forced to play the "right way", which is hard nosed, I think it serves them well.  If those young guys don't have the strength of character to take on such a challenge in the minors, how will they fair in the NHL playoffs, when things get really rough?  Are those guys just going to quit?  I like guys like Jasek, who do whatever it takes to play their best, and earn their minutes.  

• Upvote 2