The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Watching the playoffs, and it's easy to see how rough the games are.  The players, especially the skilled guys, really have to have an internal toughness to play their best under such physical duress.  When our young guys are forced to play the "right way", which is hard nosed, I think it serves them well.  If those young guys don't have the strength of character to take on such a challenge in the minors, how will they fair in the NHL playoffs, when things get really rough?  Are those guys just going to quit?  I like guys like Jasek, who do whatever it takes to play their best, and earn their minutes.  

The great thing about Jasek .... just in case we forget ..... he had a rough go in Pro hockey in Europe, but he persevered and I believe paid his own way over to try out for Utica last season. That impresses me

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It really was a good rookie season for Jasek. I think his offensive stats when he came over for that stint late last season set expectations a bit high for this year (at least when it comes to projecting raw points). But considering how he was deployed this season, that’s some really solid production for a rookie AHLer. Jasek played a lot of his games in the bottom six, and not always with the most offensively gifted line mates. He also moved around a lot, playing all three forward positions, up and down the lineup, and with a rotating cast of line mates. The one consistent thing was his effort each night and his willingness to try to make the best of whatever situation he found himself in. Probably helps that Jasek has been through a lot in his young career, especially some of the dark times in the Czech leagues when he was languishing in Trinec. So I doubt much fazed him, when it came to his ice time, role, opportunities, instruction, lessons, and just being expected to “earn it.” Jasek seems like a guy who’s just happy to be getting a chance, and willing to work for everything he’s gets.

The last third of the year they played with a miserably bad defence - no Brisebois, Juolevi, nor Sautner and the prospects they were developing had either left or were hurt - Dahlen, Gadjovich, Lind, and Palmu.  McEwen, Boucher, and Gaunce  were not the same players when they weren't brought up as injury replacements or were sent back after a cursory glance.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Watching Jasek at the scrimmage today, I came away with a solid impression. He's someone who's just solid at everything. He's willing to work along the boards and make plays from there. He didn't really get a chance to showcase his speed, but everything else looked alright. 

However, one thing that stuck out to me is that he still looks like he's built like a kid. He's listed at 6'1 and 185 pounds, which is solid considering he was drafted at 5'11 and 165 pounds I believe, but I think he still needs to put on some more muscle to be effective at the next level. He plays a hard working game along the boards and right now he get's moved around a bit too easily still by the bigger players. The tenacity is there, but the strength isn't. His physical progression is encouraging, but I think it needs to continue to make the jump. 

Did he continue playing with group #3 too?  if so, that's not a good sign.  No one who's considered a true prospect played in that group (besides Virtanen)

50 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Did he continue playing with group #3 too?  if so, that's not a good sign.  No one who's considered a true prospect played in that group (besides Virtanen)

I believe he was in group C yesterday but was moved to group B (with Horvat, Goldobin, Miller, Hughes, etc. today. 

I wouldn't read too much into it though. It's nice that they're moving some guys around to show them what the next level is like (Lind, Gadjovich and Juolevi have all moved up and down in groups at some point) but getting familiar with they're new teammates in Utica also matters. Jasek was on a line with Perron and Lind today and they looked good with a couple of good offensive zone shifts. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

Jasek didn't look out of place tonight against Edmonton.  Of course, a traffic cone wouldn't have looked bad against them either.

I only really noticed him on the PP, but he looked very good there - excellent skill level. Don't know if he is ready for the big show yet, but he looks very promising.

13 hours ago, reyezone said:

Last game vs. Edmonton was the first time I saw Jasek do anything that intrigued me. Not only the goal but several other plays in the offensive zone.

Of all the prospects on show Jasek is the one that shows the most. All the attention is on the likes of Lind/Gadjovich, try looking past them and keep your eyes on Jasek. He was playing the half wall on the PP and set himself up for a seeing eye wrist shot through big traffic

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Of all the prospects on show Jasek is the one that shows the most. All the attention is on the likes of Lind/Gadjovich, try looking past them and keep your eyes on Jasek. He was playing the half wall on the PP and set himself up for a seeing eye wrist shot through big traffic

Jasek has learned thru earning playing time vs men.  He does the little things the right way and he doesn't look out of place at all.  

Good hockey player with potential.  Not bad for a 6th rounder.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Jasek has learned thru earning playing time vs men.  He does the little things the right way and he doesn't look out of place at all.  

Good hockey player with potential.  Not bad for a 6th rounder.  

Jasek, Lind and Gadjovich are all starting their 2nd pro year in Utica. I think all 3 will have much stronger seasons. I think that Jasek's time in the Czech senior league helped his AHL transition but the game is still NA and on NA ice sheets. 

Jasek is such an interesting prospect to follow. I feel like he and Madden will make up 2 parts of a great 3rd line in the next 3 years or so. 

Love the speed and compete, and flashes of skill. If he can get a little stronger on his skates, or a more stable base to fight through some checks he could be a solid NHL player.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Derp... said:

Jasek is such an interesting prospect to follow. I feel like he and Madden will make up 2 parts of a great 3rd line in the next 3 years or so. 

Love the speed and compete, and flashes of skill. If he can get a little stronger on his skates, or a more stable base to fight through some checks he could be a solid NHL player.

dont forget about Lockwood.

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2019 at 7:13 AM, Boudrias said:

Jasek, Lind and Gadjovich are all starting their 2nd pro year in Utica. I think all 3 will have much stronger seasons. I think that Jasek's time in the Czech senior league helped his AHL transition but the game is still NA and on NA ice sheets. 

Jasek is interesting because he has almost always played wing but the Utica coaches have been trying him in the middle - I would guess to take advantage of his skating, discipline, awareness and creativity.  He looked great when he first came up with Utica, and had a great start last year, but tapered off (along with his team) due to call ups and injuries.  Hopefully this year his conditioning has come along so that he can compete at his top level all year.  He reminds of a Hansen with hands and awareness - it would be interesting to see him on a line with Lockwood and Madden for sure (someone mentioned that above) - speed, skill and awareness X3 - it would be a very interesting line. Reminds me of the possibilities of a line like one Buffalo had decades ago - Ramsey, Luce and Gare - mostly lines aren't built like that anymore, but maybe it would be an experiment worth trying again.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a little observation so far:  Utica coaches seem to have a lot of trust in Jasek and MacEwen on the PK.  I actually see an easier path for them to the NHL as opposed to guys like Lind who would have to displace someone in the top 9.  

If one or two of our regular PK guys get injured, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jasek or Zack get called up.