The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tate Olson | D

saucypass

He's showing pretty promising things, that's for sure. If he can even turn into a fringe NHLer, that'll be a win for a guy picked near the end of the seventh round. He's really kicked things up a notch and it's great. Him and Carl Neill seem to be nice late round steals and could help shore up our weak defensive depth in little more then a jiffy.

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 0:42 AM, Big Mike said:

IMO he's pretty solid defensively not everyone agrees with me though

I mentioned it to him a while back after a game and a few weeks later he mentioned to a friend of mine that he'd read this topic and found it funny that it even existed.

He's 2 points back right from Harkins right now with 3 games less played

Big Mike, do you have any opinion on shut down PG defenseman Josh Anderson?

JOSH ANDERSON  Canada40.png

Open print friendly window (pop-up) views: 4697

BIRTHYEAR 1998-08-29 BIRTHPLACE Nanaimo, BC, CAN
AGE 17 NATION Canada
POSITION D SHOOTS L
HEIGHT 189 cm / 6'2" WEIGHT 100 kg / 220 lbs
YOUTH TEAM Cowichan Valley MHA
NHL DRAFT Prospect eligible for the 2016 NHL Entry Draft
phiq.png

dw_josh_anderson_prince_george-2.jpg
© Photo: Doug Westcott

CAREER STATISTICS Use/Embed statistics RSS feed

SEASON TEAM LEAGUE GP G A TP PIM +/-      POST GP G A TP PIM +/- 
 2012-13 stats_arrow.gif Cowichan Valley Capitals Bntm T1 stats_arrow.gif VIBHL 52 18 34 52 80   |              
 2013-14 stats_arrow.gif South Island Royals stats_arrow.gif BCMML 34 1 13 14 72   |              
  stats_arrow.gif Prince George Cougars stats_arrow.gif WHL 2 0 0 0 2 0 |              
 2014-15 stats_arrow.gif Prince George Cougars stats_arrow.gif WHL 42 2 2 4 52 -9 | stats_arrow.gif Playoffs 2 0 0 0 0
  stats_arrow.gif Canada White U17 stats_arrow.gif WHC-17 5 0 0 0 0   |              
 2015-16 stats_arrow.gif Prince George Cougars stats_arrow.gif WHL 39 1 5 6 86 -4

- See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=247061#sthash.WoOxKQRU.dpuf

Tate Olsen is putting together a really good season with the Cougars. Benning may have found us a real Gem at 206th overall. He has shown big improvement this year. If he starts to fill out that big frame a little more he could be a real find.

Regular Season
Season Team GP G A  PTS +/- PIM
Total 167  12  60  72 10 152
2015-16 Regular Season Prince George Cougars  47 5 33  38 23 66
2014-15 Regular Season Prince George Cougars  68 5 19  24 -13  69
2013-14 Regular Season Prince George Cougars  52 2 8  10 0 17

On 2016-01-28 at 2:17 PM, sharbinder said:

Big Mike, do you have any opinion on shut down PG defenseman Josh Anderson?

JOSH ANDERSON  Canada40.png

Open print friendly window (pop-up) views: 4697

BIRTHYEAR 1998-08-29 BIRTHPLACE Nanaimo, BC, CAN
AGE 17 NATION Canada
POSITION D SHOOTS L
HEIGHT 189 cm / 6'2" WEIGHT 100 kg / 220 lbs
YOUTH TEAM Cowichan Valley MHA
NHL DRAFT Prospect eligible for the 2016 NHL Entry Draft
phiq.png

dw_josh_anderson_prince_george-2.jpg
© Photo: Doug Westcott

CAREER STATISTICS Use/Embed statistics RSS feed

SEASON TEAM LEAGUE GP G A TP PIM +/-      POST GP G A TP PIM +/- 
 2012-13 stats_arrow.gif Cowichan Valley Capitals Bntm T1 stats_arrow.gif VIBHL 52 18 34 52 80   |              
 2013-14 stats_arrow.gif South Island Royals stats_arrow.gif BCMML 34 1 13 14 72   |              
  stats_arrow.gif Prince George Cougars stats_arrow.gif WHL 2 0 0 0 2 0 |              
 2014-15 stats_arrow.gif Prince George Cougars stats_arrow.gif WHL 42 2 2 4 52 -9 | stats_arrow.gif Playoffs 2 0 0 0 0
  stats_arrow.gif Canada White U17 stats_arrow.gif WHC-17 5 0 0 0 0   |              
 2015-16 stats_arrow.gif Prince George Cougars stats_arrow.gif WHL 39 1 5 6 86 -4

- See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=247061#sthash.WoOxKQRU.dpuf

Anderson is a solid defensive defenseman. He doesn't have tate's offensive flair but his defensive game is  better . This is only his second full season but I like what I see. I would excpect him to be a late 3rd round more likely a 4th round pick and I would be very happy is the Canucks took him. I also like his physical game which is where his size comes into play he's definitely got potential to be a good solid shut down defenseman but he's never going to produce much offense which means that he might well fly under the radar and get pick later in the draft (5th,6th,7th).

All in all I like him but I'm just a tad biased ;) He is a cougar after all

2 hours ago, Big Mike said:

Anderson is a solid defensive defenseman. He doesn't have tate's offensive flair but his defensive game is  better . This is only his second full season but I like what I see. I would excpect him to be a late 3rd round more likely a 4th round pick and I would be very happy is the Canucks took him. I also like his physical game which is where his size comes into play he's definitely got potential to be a good solid shut down defenseman but he's never going to produce much offense which means that he might well fly under the radar and get pick later in the draft (5th,6th,7th).

All in all I like him but I'm just a tad biased ;) He is a cougar after all

What are Olson and Anderson's numbers? I'm going to the Pats/Cougars game tomorrow night, so I need to know who to look out for :rolleyes:

Was Benning responsible for the Bruins picking up Zach Trotman with the 210th pick of the 2010 draft? Because, if he was, I think Benning may have gotten another late round steal with Tate Olson. I mean, Zach Trotman may not be a flashy defenseman, but he is a regular NHLer now and has solidfied his spot on the Bruins d-corps.

I know this is Olson's Draft + 1 year, but he has really kicked it up a notch and could be a nice depth piece for the Canucks defense in a few seasons. Him, Neil, and Brisebois all look like solid draft picks at this point, so I'm not as worried about our defensive group going forward. All we need is that star D-Man to really soldify things and the future doesn't seem so bleak. Throw in a guy like Troy Stretcher (I believe he'll sign in Vancouver this spring... hometown boy, actual opportunity to play for his hometown team, it seems like a perfect fit) and maybe another College UFA D-man (or two) and things look better.

#InBenningWeTrust

Okay, so I got a chance to watch Tate Olson tonight.

What I noticed from this game:

- Has a beauty of a drop pass and can lead a rush quite well

- Rarely lets opposing players behind him unless there's another guy there, which, there usually isnt

- Whoever said he takes a bit too much time making decisions was right.

- Has nice speed and muscle chasing down a puck, but needs to bulk up to be anything close to an NHL player. That being said, guys bounced off him when trying to check him along the boards.

He didn't have any points, was on the ice for 2 or so goals, and had 6 PIM.

The first goal he was on the ice for I don't blame him for. He had been out on the ice for a considerable amount of time already, not to mention they were short handed 5 on 3.

The first penalty he got was just one of those moments where he was playing and just happened to result in a penalty.

The second penalty was a bit more interesting. He took down the Pats' captain behind the net (it was pretty obvious) and then laughed at the guy. A bit unsportsmanlike, tbh. But then again, the whole Cougars team was a bit chippy.

The final penalty he got, he was chasing down a puck along with one of the Pats, got in front of him, but kept pushing the guy off to the side.

He only got one shot off that I could see, but he did have pretty nice release and played pretty responsibly for most of the game.

1 hour ago, thejazz97 said:

- Rarely lets opposing players behind him unless there's another guy there, which, there usually isnt

- Has nice speed and muscle chasing down a puck, but needs to bulk up to be anything close to an NHL player. That being said, guys bounced off him when trying to check him along the boards.

The first goal he was on the ice for I don't blame him for. He had been out on the ice for a considerable amount of time already, not to mention they were short handed 5 on 3.

The first penalty he got was just one of those moments where he was playing and just happened to result in a penalty.

The second penalty was a bit more interesting. He took down the Pats' captain behind the net (it was pretty obvious) and then laughed at the guy. A bit unsportsmanlike, tbh. But then again, the whole Cougars team was a bit chippy.

The final penalty he got, he was chasing down a puck along with one of the Pats, got in front of him, but kept pushing the guy off to the side.

He only got one shot off that I could see, but he did have pretty nice release and played pretty responsibly for most of the game.

Guaranteed to make the 'Nucks then. Probably will replace Edler on PP1 :P

Thanks for posting

12 hours ago, Quantum said:

Was Benning responsible for the Bruins picking up Zach Trotman with the 210th pick of the 2010 draft? Because, if he was, I think Benning may have gotten another late round steal with Tate Olson. I mean, Zach Trotman may not be a flashy defenseman, but he is a regular NHLer now and has solidfied his spot on the Bruins d-corps.

I know this is Olson's Draft + 1 year, but he has really kicked it up a notch and could be a nice depth piece for the Canucks defense in a few seasons. Him, Neil, and Brisebois all look like solid draft picks at this point, so I'm not as worried about our defensive group going forward. All we need is that star D-Man to really soldify things and the future doesn't seem so bleak. Throw in a guy like Troy Stretcher (I believe he'll sign in Vancouver this spring... hometown boy, actual opportunity to play for his hometown team, it seems like a perfect fit) and maybe another College UFA D-man (or two) and things look better.

#InBenningWeTrust

My guess would be yes. Benning would have done at least as much scouting as an AGM for Boston as a GM for the Nucks. The pick he is most proud of was Paul Gaustad. He pushed hard for Gaustad in the 7th round as Director of Scouting for Buffalo. Trotman fits Benning's scouting profile. Like our own Mackenzie Stewart and Paul Gaustad, Trotman is a big, fiesty, driven 7th round selection.

This bodes well for Tate Olson. Another 7th round gem from Benning?

On 2016-02-07 at 8:31 PM, thejazz97 said:

Yup this is one of his best assets imo

Yeah he's pretty good about that

I've found this as well but I also find that more often than not this isn't an issue

Bulking up is imo not a big concern he's able to play physical and is pretty hard to take down or knock off the puck

Beauty

Yup Cougs play a bit dirty at times and even when they don't they still play a really chippy type of hockey.

Sounds like a standard Tate Olson game there made some mistakes took a dumb penalty but all around played pretty good

On 2/4/2016 at 2:27 PM, Patchoball Cannons said:

Tate Olsen is putting together a really good season with the Cougars. Benning may have found us a real Gem at 206th overall. He has shown big improvement this year. If he starts to fill out that big frame a little more he could be a real find.

Regular Season
Season Team GP G A  PTS +/- PIM
Total 167  12  60  72 10 152
2015-16 Regular Season Prince George Cougars  47 5 33  38 23 66
2014-15 Regular Season Prince George Cougars  68 5 19  24 -13  69
2013-14 Regular Season Prince George Cougars  52 2 8  10 0 17

He will definitely be filling out some more.  I've seen him around town a couple times and you can tell he's going to put on some more weight in the next couple of years.  

Archived