Sign in to follow this  
suitup

Tate Olson | D

On 2015-12-01, 9:46:01, Nas19 said:

It's slowly going up. Gotta realize just how terrible previous ownership was. It's gonna take some time to change the perception of the team around town.

Another assist for Olson today.

Yup it's slowly improving I think making the playoffs again especially if we can win a round would be great for attendance.

I remember going during the heyday and having to phone ahead to reserve tickets (we lived in Mackenzie so it was a 2 hr drive to go see them) Man those where the days standing room only for playoffs then things went down hill thanks to the work of arguably the worst  management group in WHL history.

5 minutes ago, Big Mike said:

Another great game by Olson as he picked up 2nd star and an assist. He's having an awesome season so far 16 points in 20 games and on a 6 game point streak right now. I'm really really happy to see how much he's improved he's been our best defense-man so far and his +7 is good for second best on the team

Good to hear. Looks like Benning really knows how to pick them

15 hours ago, Big Mike said:

Yup it's slowly improving I think making the playoffs again especially if we can win a round would be great for attendance.

I remember going during the heyday and having to phone ahead to reserve tickets (we lived in Mackenzie so it was a 2 hr drive to go see them) Man those where the days standing room only for playoffs then things went down hill thanks to the work of arguably the worst  management group in WHL history.

I remember going to the odd random game during the downtime and it really felt like the seat numbers on the tickets didn't matter at all. Even the middle of the rink had so many empty seats and the crowd was so quiet.

On June 27, 2015 at 10:58:56 AM, Nas19 said:

Anderson is going to be an awesome player.

Well looks like someone was on the ball, some say he is a top 50 pick

1 hour ago, Gstank29 said:

Well looks like someone was on the ball, some say he is a top 50 pick

It's great to finally be seeing more PG players on the list. Period. Used to be we'd have maybe 1 or 2? Usually like.... near the bottom? lol

Except for Brett Connelly. He was something else.

On 2015-12-03, 1:27:42, The Lock said:

I remember going to the odd random game during the downtime and it really felt like the seat numbers on the tickets didn't matter at all. Even the middle of the rink had so many empty seats and the crowd was so quiet.

Yeah I remember seeing some sections with only a dozen or so people in them on the plus side it meant being able to sit pretty much anywhere but the atmosphere sucked.

In other news Olson with 2 assists and a +2 tonight now with a team leading 16 assists on the year plus 2 goals and 2nd highest plus minus on the team

Edited by Big Mike

1 hour ago, Big Mike said:

Yeah I remember seeing some sections with only a dozen or so people in them on the plus side it meant being able to sit pretty much anywhere but the atmosphere sucked.

In other news Olson with 2 assists and a +2 tonight now with a team leading 16 assists on the year plus 2 goals and 2nd highest plus minus on the team

Good to hear Cougar hockey is on the upswing again.

Is Olson the number 1 d-man? Sounds like he may be a pretty shrewd pick. I remember Benning scouting a few Cougar games last year. Everyone thought he was looking at Harkins, he probably was but Olson must have caught his eye.

11 minutes ago, Big Mike said:

I would say so he's been our best and most reliable defenceman this season . Yeah last season Olson was ok but he wasn't even on my radar as a cougs player that might be drafted then bam he got drafted and he's having an insane year. I gotta say if Olson was available this draft he's looking like he'd go higher for sure so props to Benning there

His stat-line last season doesn't really warrant such a late pick; was his defensive play bad last year or was it off-ice factors that caused him to drop that far?

5 minutes ago, Shiftynifty said:

His stat-line last season doesn't really warrant such a late pick; was his defensive play bad last year or was it off-ice factors that caused him to drop that far?

His stats were ok but he was very inconsistent and frequently made mistakes

Just goes to show really how trained Benning's eye is. In a couple of year's time, our prospect cupboard might look like Buffalo's of the 2000's (from when Benning was head scout there). A whole bunch of late rounders appearing out of nowhere.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2

Who is this Olsen guy and is he the real deal? Our 7th rounder and he's scoring around the same pace as Haydn Fleury...

2 assists and +4 for Olson last game. Now has 21 points in 26 games.

Edited by Nas19
  • Upvote 1

Been following this thread and just wanted to thank the guys for the regular updates.

Really pleased to see this kid do well. Hope he turns out. Kids got good size at 6'3, He'll fill out and put on weight as he matures. Hopefully this is one of those rare late round finds.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Been following this thread and just wanted to thank the guys for the regular updates.

Really pleased to see this kid do well. Hope he turns out. Kids got good size at 6'3, He'll fill out and put on weight as he matures. Hopefully this is one of those rare late round finds.

Wasn't Hansen a late pick, and he turned out pretty damned good?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Wasn't Hansen a late pick, and he turned out pretty damned good?

Yes, but the percentage of players making the NHL drop after the first round. They don't have 9th rounders anymore, but you could kinda guess how likely he was to panning out. (Not very)

Furthermore, a lot of European players don't translate very well in the NHL. (Different style)