Sign in to follow this  
suitup

Tate Olson | D

On 2016-02-07 at 8:31 PM, thejazz97 said:

Okay, so I got a chance to watch Tate Olson tonight.

What I noticed from this game:

- Has a beauty of a drop pass and can lead a rush quite well

Yup this is one of his best assets imo

- Rarely lets opposing players behind him unless there's another guy there, which, there usually isnt

Yeah he's pretty good about that

- Whoever said he takes a bit too much time making decisions was right.

I've found this as well but I also find that more often than not this isn't an issue

- Has nice speed and muscle chasing down a puck, but needs to bulk up to be anything close to an NHL player. That being said, guys bounced off him when trying to check him along the boards.

Bulking up is imo not a big concern he's able to play physical and is pretty hard to take down or knock off the puck

He didn't have any points, was on the ice for 2 or so goals, and had 6 PIM.

Beauty

The first goal he was on the ice for I don't blame him for. He had been out on the ice for a considerable amount of time already, not to mention they were short handed 5 on 3.

The first penalty he got was just one of those moments where he was playing and just happened to result in a penalty.

The second penalty was a bit more interesting. He took down the Pats' captain behind the net (it was pretty obvious) and then laughed at the guy. A bit unsportsmanlike, tbh. But then again, the whole Cougars team was a bit chippy.

Yup Cougs play a bit dirty at times and even when they don't they still play a really chippy type of hockey.

The final penalty he got, he was chasing down a puck along with one of the Pats, got in front of him, but kept pushing the guy off to the side.

He only got one shot off that I could see, but he did have pretty nice release and played pretty responsibly for most of the game.

Sounds like a standard Tate Olson game there made some mistakes took a dumb penalty but all around played pretty good

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Big Mike said:

By the way, Jansen Harkins had a wide open net and he rang it off the post :lol:

Just now, thejazz97 said:

By the way, Jansen Harkins had a wide open net and he rang it off the post :lol:

I heard and was swearing at the radio when that happened

• Upvote 2

On 2/4/2016 at 2:27 PM, Patchoball Cannons said:

Tate Olsen is putting together a really good season with the Cougars. Benning may have found us a real Gem at 206th overall. He has shown big improvement this year. If he starts to fill out that big frame a little more he could be a real find.

Regular Season
Season Team GP G A  PTS +/- PIM
Total 167  12  60  72 10 152
2015-16 Regular Season Prince George Cougars  47 5 33  38 23 66
2014-15 Regular Season Prince George Cougars  68 5 19  24 -13  69
2013-14 Regular Season Prince George Cougars  52 2 8  10 0 17

He will definitely be filling out some more.  I've seen him around town a couple times and you can tell he's going to put on some more weight in the next couple of years.  

3 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

He will definitely be filling out some more.  I've seen him around town a couple times and you can tell he's going to put on some more weight in the next couple of years.  

I'm not trying to be funny but seriously how do you tell something like that?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I'm not trying to be funny but seriously how do you tell something like that?

The guy has toothpick limbs (like a lot of teenagers).....he'll fill out some more.    

Can someone answer why Olsen doesn't get a lot of attention like our other prospects? How does he play? By looking at just numbers you'd think CDC would be doing a lot more "he's the saviour" speeches. 

5 minutes ago, Nigerian said:

Can someone answer why Olsen doesn't get a lot of attention like our other prospects? How does he play? By looking at just numbers you'd think CDC would be doing a lot more "he's the saviour" speeches. 

3 words....

seventh round pick.

I think his coach was on 1040 today. Anyone know what he said??

Edited by Jiggs50

48 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

I think his coach was on 1040 today. Anyone know what he said??

He said due to injuries on D players had to step up and play big minutes, Olsen being one of them. Has to put on muscle to physically handle the bigger guys in W and going forward in his career, but he is young so that comes with time. Said he makes some good no look passes that make the coaches look at eachother in dibelieve saying did he just do that...

Says he has some upside for his offensive abilities, but like any prospect has to remember to bring in every game and work on his all around consistancy. Overall the coach had nothing but positive things to say about Olsen, also seems like Hamhuis being an owner has helped that organization out and seems like they arent in such a big financial hole.

The coach also had previously coached sbisa and bonino in syracuse of the ahl I believe, just a side note that I can remember. Probably missed some stuff

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Nigerian said:

he was actually recently named to the canucks top 5 prospects by craig button which is good to see.

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-top-50-nhl-affiliated-prospects-1.436669

bottom of the page they have the top 5 prospects for each canadian team.

Edited by Nd1989

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Can we just take a moment and realize that in 5 solid years with four 1st overall picks and 1 top 10 pick that the Oilers' perceived best prospects are

Brossoit, Bear, Slepyshev, Jones and Paigin....

That is freaking terrible really

it is all their 1sts are on the roster tho i believe, things should change with new management their you would think

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Can we just take a moment and realize that in 5 solid years with four 1st overall picks and 1 top 10 pick that the Oilers' perceived best prospects are

Brossoit, Bear, Slepyshev, Jones and Paigin....

That is freaking terrible really

Well, the Oilers' five top picks are all in the NHL, so it's actually not that bad. And their 5th best prospect is a defenseman who is putting up points in the KHL... the prospects are bigger than their names, so it's not all that terrible for them.

For us, I think it's impressive that all our top picks came outside the top 20 in every draft. That, and I'm very surprised Tryamkin wasn't on that list.

1 hour ago, thejazz97 said:

Well, the Oilers' five top picks are all in the NHL, so it's actually not that bad. And their 5th best prospect is a defenseman who is putting up points in the KHL... the prospects are bigger than their names, so it's not all that terrible for them.

For us, I think it's impressive that all our top picks came outside the top 20 in every draft. That, and I'm very surprised Tryamkin wasn't on that list.

With all the top-10 picks (primarily 1st overall) what else should be expected?  The point is -- what else do they have outside the first round?  Slepychev?  Pitlick?  As bad as the Canucks' drafts have been, consider this wasteland:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005632.html

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

With all the top-10 picks (primarily 1st overall) what else should be expected?  The point is -- what else do they have outside the first round?  Slepychev?  Pitlick?  As bad as the Canucks' drafts have been, consider this wasteland:

Yup.

Not even a single 2nd 3rd 4th or 5th round gem that even got a sniff of NHL time thus far let alone potential in the AHL as of yet.  It's really REALLY sad after you take their 1st overall picks and Nurse out of the equation.  I all of a sudden don't feel so bad for us and our drafting dept

55 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

That's fair.

20 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Yup.

Not even a single 2nd 3rd 4th or 5th round gem that even got a sniff of NHL time thus far let alone potential in the AHL as of yet.  It's really REALLY sad after you take their 1st overall picks and Nurse out of the equation.  I all of a sudden don't feel so bad for us and our drafting dept

Now the word is that they are pretty much writing Yakky off.

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Now the word is that they are pretty much writing Yakky off.

Eberle is working with McJesus, Yak is working with nobody

Sadly they'd have to add to even get Drouin at this rate