The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tate Olson | D

saucypass

He's definitely got a lot of skill his problem is that he's not exactly the safest D-man to have out there. He makes too many mistakes. That being said he's a heck of a nice guy and has flashes of brilliance but I'd say he's got a long way to go if he wants to make the show

That's good to hear, but where did you hear that from?

• 2 months later...

I got a story about Tate during training camp in PG. He was in a group with Hamhuis, Weber and Prust for the golf tournament at Aberdeen. Hamhuis says the Weber "$500 a hole sound good?" Weber and Prust tell him sure. All the while Olson is crapping his pants cause he don't have 500 bucks to lose as a whole. Let alone per hole. They made him sweat it out 4 or 5 holes before he was told he don't have to pay.

He's definitely got a lot of skill his problem is that he's not exactly the safest D-man to have out there. He makes too many mistakes. That being said he's a heck of a nice guy and has flashes of brilliance but I'd say he's got a long way to go if he wants to make the show

I prefer a young defenseman to have deficiencies in his defensive game rather than offensive. Defence can be taught, as long as he's willing to learn, but you can't teach offensive instincts and in order for a player like him to be successful that part of his game will need to translate.

• 3 weeks later...

I understand why it might have slipped onto the back burner what with the orgy of activity dissecting the much sexier picks at the other end of the draft (drafts) but this guy remains a prospect, one who hasn't played a game in about two weeks. The lack of injury updates on the WHL network is bothersome so if someone in the know knows, could you share? Just trying to show some love for the 7th rounder!

I understand why it might have slipped onto the back burner what with the orgy of activity dissecting the much sexier picks at the other end of the draft (drafts) but this guy remains a prospect, one who hasn't played a game in about two weeks. The lack of injury updates on the WHL network is bothersome so if someone in the know knows, could you share? Just trying to show some love for the 7th rounder!

The last I heard was 'out with an upper body injury', I was hoping he'd be back soon because his team is supposed to be on Shaw TV 3 times this month; Nov.18th, 27th and 28th.

http://www.whl.ca/whl-tv-broadcast-schedules

Archived