The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 2015 Draft Overview: Big Picture!

Remy

Yes, I know there are some existing threads discussing the draft and whether we did well or not, but much of the conversation seems unfocused because a lot of people are not looking at the big, overall picture. So, I put together a broad overview of what the Canucks have done with the 2015 draft. If a mod feels this should be closed or merged, I'll leave that to their discretion, but I thought it would be better to have this information easily found, rather than buried in another thread.

First round picks:

23rd overall – Brock Boeser (RW)

Second round picks:

53rd overall – traded to Calgary for Sven Baertschi (LW)

*Calgary used this pick to draft Rasmus Andersson (D)

Third round picks:

66th overall – Guillaume Brisebois (D)

*pick acquired by trading Eddie Lack (G)

84th overall – This was part of the Kesler trade that landed us McCaan, Bonino, and Sbisa.

*Anaheim used this pick to draft Deven Sideroff (RW)

Fourth round picks:

114th overall – Dmitri Zhukenov (Centre)

Fifth round picks:

144th overall – Carl Neill (D)

149th overall – Adam Gaudette (Centre)

*Acquired from New York for Raphael Diaz (D)

Sixth round picks:

174th overall – Lukas Jasek (RW)

Seventh round picks:

204th overall – traded to Tampa Bay for a 2014 second round pick as part of the Jason Garrison trade. The second round pick was flipped for Linden Vey

*Pick traded to Minnesota, they drafted Jack Sadek (D)

210th overall – Tate Olson (D)

*Acquired from NY Islanders for Patrick McNally

I think it's fair to say that, looking at the big picture, the Canucks actually did quite well. Based on 2015 draft picks, we acquired Brock Boeser, Sven Baertschi, Guillaume Brisebois, Dmitri Zhukenov, Adam Gaudette, Lukas Jasek, and Tate Olson.

It looks bleak if you leave out Baertschi, in particular, but I don't think that gives a fair assessment because he was acquired with 2015 picks. Other picks were used as part of the Kesler trade as well, which led to significant returns (McCaan in particular). Don't be fooled because many of these acquisitions were spread out across trades that came prior to the draft, look at the overall results.

Most people seem to be upset by three other things:

1) Bieksa was not traded. We don't know why, so if you're up in arms about this, then you're getting frustrated by pure speculation. Wait for the facts. Besides, there's still plenty of time for something to happen before next season.

2) The return for trading Lack. Again, all we can do is speculate on what other offers were available. Beat your head in frustration all you want, but none of us know what Benning was up against. Personally, I think the value we got for him was about right, and I think a lot of people overvalued him primarily because of his awesome personality.

3) Lack of name recognition. Many people seem to be going "who?" over some of our draft selections. I'm going to trust Benning on this one. Drafting is his bread and butter and, for now, he absolutely deserves the benefit of the doubt.

And for those of you being bleak about heading into next season with the "same old" as last year, remember that there are a bunch of new players set to crack the line up. Baertschi, Virtanen, Grenier, Corrado, and probably one or two others that I'm forgetting about, all have a shot. So don't buy into the "every team improved but us" nonsense. We WILL be a different team this coming season, which is to say nothing of any potential trades or free agent signings that might shake things up even further.

Stay optimistic, there's a lot of change happening and a lot of potential.

Yes, I know there are some existing threads discussing the draft and whether we did well or not, but much of the conversation seems unfocused because a lot of people are not looking at the big, overall picture. So, I put together a broad overview of what the Canucks have done with the 2015 draft. If a mod feels this should be closed or merged, I'll leave that to their discretion, but I thought it would be better to have this information easily found, rather than buried in another thread.

First round picks:

23rd overall – Brock Boeser (RW)

Second round picks:

53rd overall – traded to Calgary for Sven Baertschi (LW)

*Calgary used this pick to draft Rasmus Andersson (D)

Third round picks:

66th overall – Guillaume Brisebois (D)

*pick acquired by trading Eddie Lack (G)

84th overall – traded to Anaheim for Andrey Pedan (D)

*Anaheim used this pick to draft Deven Sideroff (RW)

Fourth round picks:

114th overall – Dmitri Zhukenov ©

Fifth round picks:

149th overall – Adam Gaudette ©

*Acquired from New York for Raphael Diaz (D)

Sixth round picks:

174th overall – Lukas Jasek (RW)

Seventh round picks:

204th overall – traded to Tampa Bay for a 2014 second round pick as part of the Jason Garrison trade. The second round pick was flipped for Linden Vey

*Pick traded to Minnesota, they drafted Jack Sadek (D)

210th overall – Tate Olson (D)

*Acquired from NY Islanders for Patrick McNally

I think it's fair to say that, looking at the big picture, the Canucks actually did quite well. Based on 2015 draft picks, we acquired Brock Boeser, Sven Baertschi, Guillaume Brisebois, Andrey Pedan, Dmitri Zhukenov, Adam Gaudette, Lukas Jasek, and Tate Olson.

It looks bleak if you leave out Baertschi and Pedan, but I don't think that gives a fair assessment because they were acquired with 2015 picks. Don't be fooled because many of these acquisitions were spread out across trades that came prior to the draft, look at the overall results.

Most people seem to be upset by three other things:

1) Bieksa was not traded. We don't know why, so if you're up in arms about this, then you're getting frustrated by pure speculation. Wait for the facts. Besides, there's still plenty of time for something to happen before next season.

2) The return for trading Lack. Again, all we can do is speculate on what other offers were available. Beat your head in frustration all you want, but none of us know what Benning was up against. Personally, I think the value we got for him was about right, and I think a lot of people overvalued him primarily because of his awesome personality.

3) Lack of name recognition. Many people seem to be going "who?" over some of our draft selections. I'm going to trust Benning on this one. Drafting is his bread and butter and, for now, he absolutely deserves the benefit of the doubt.

And for those of you being bleak about heading into next season with the "same old" as last year, remember that there are a bunch of new players set to crack the line up. Baertschi, Virtanen, Grenier, Corrado, and probably one or two others that I'm forgetting about, all have a shot. So don't buy into the "every team improved but us" nonsense. We WILL be a different team this coming season, which is to say nothing of any potential trades or free agent signings that might shake things up even further.

Stay optimistic, there's a lot of change happening and a lot of potential.

I'm going to say something regarding this whole "personality" pov

Lack is seven and a half years younger, had much better stats, and carried us to playoffs. Lack had the one bad game, he wasn't bad in the playoffs. After the first three games, he had a higher save percentage than Hiller. Canucks weren't scoring enough. Not to mention the contract difference.

If we cared about personality, why would we want to trade Bieksa? Who really does care about personality over production?

I don't see how the youth will crack the lineup with the likes of Higgins and Hansen still taking space.

I think one of the major reasons Canucks fans are pissed off is because the management claims to want to ice a competitive team, but have proven to provide nothing more than mediocrity. Either you rebuild or you trade for players with playoff experience.

The Canucks don't stand much of a chance against most of the teams in the Pacific. LA is going to be considerably tougher now with Lucic, Anaheim is still a great team, Calgary has Vancouver's number, and Edmonton is going to be better with the acquisitions made as well.

Only Arizona and San Jose are truly beatable by this version of the Canucks team. And both of those teams have embarrassed the Canucks as well.

The Sedins are still great but are no longer difference makers. Same for Burrows, Hansen, Higgins.

Losing Bieksa makes sense but takes possibly the toughest player from a team that is easily pushed around. Sorry but Dorsett and Sbisa weren't difference makers against Calgary. Just weren't good enough at all.

The defense is kind of a joke. Edler and Tanev are a good pairing, but Edler again was a player who was unable to elevate his game against Calgary.

And the starting goaltender is 34 years old, injury prone, and realistically on the decline with the backup having extremely limited NHL experience.

As well, Baertschi and Markstrom are looking for long term deals without proving a &^@#ing thing at the NHL level. Headcases.

I personally am fine with this team $&!#ting the bed for a few years so they can acquire real talent in the first round rather than watch aging players sadly try to win a cup that is way out of their grasp.

I know what your saying, but here is the problem. The management seem's to think you need to have 35 yr olds on the team to stay competitive. Well if they keep this up year after year and slowly inject some youth we will still be a middle of the pack team with middle of the pack picks. (can you see a trend here)?

Calgary finally realized you MUST trade your vets for whatever you can so you can AQUIRE MORE DRAFT PICKS every year to get premium players that "may" get you to the cup. Our prospect pool is not nearly anywhere good enough yet.

You can inject younger players and still have a competitive team while they develop. I know every always points to Edm. but that is only one example of poor drafting for some of those years, but make no mistake, there are there now.

This Management pisses me off to know end, and I believe it is all because Aquiman needs his money, but in the end he will loose.

Good post...If Sven pans out,this could indeed be a good draft...I did want to see Bieksa traded,but there is still time (he will most likely be traded before the regular season..)

Probably a lot of fan disappointment comes from seeing Calgary make bold moves..while we were relatively idle..Even though Boston lost two great players,they didn't waste time revamping their squad with 3 high draft picks..Boston are only two years removed from the SC final and are drastically changing their landscape (something the Canucks should have done two years ago).

Good post...If Sven pans out,this could indeed be a good draft...I did want to see Bieksa traded,but there is still time (he will most likely be traded before the regular season..)

Probably a lot of fan disappointment comes from seeing Calgary make bold moves..while we were relatively idle..Even though Boston lost two great players,they didn't waste time revamping their squad with 3 high draft picks..Boston are only two years removed from the SC final and are drastically changing their landscape (something the Canucks should have done two years ago).

Absolutely agree! Boston knows you don't wait and try another 5 years when your core is done

not sure where bennings head is at drafting need to fire the old scouts we constantly pass over good picks for example ryan pilon was ranked 23rd overall fell to 150th we cluld have had him in 4th round but instead we pick some no name college center who we will have to wait at least 3 yrs for smooth move benning not sure why you wouldnt want a 55 point whl dman as your 4th round pick who can run a pp and is gritty. calgary and islanders have much better scouts working in their organization

For all those complaining that JB did nothing while the pacific got better, you are complaining up the wrong tree. The person you should complain about is Boston GM Sweeney and Neely for trading everyone to the pacific like he is giving the finger to both Benning and Chareilli. :frantic:

not sure where bennings head is at drafting need to fire the old scouts we constantly pass over good picks for example ryan pilon was ranked 23rd overall fell to 150th we cluld have had him in 4th round but instead we pick some no name college center who we will have to wait at least 3 yrs for smooth move benning not sure why you wouldnt want a 55 point whl dman as your 4th round pick who can run a pp and is gritty. calgary and islanders have much better scouts working in their organization

You really have to wonder why he dropped that much then? That is a pretty big red flag when you dropped by more than a hundred picks.

For all those complaining that JB did nothing while the pacific got better, you are complaining up the wrong tree. The person you should complain about is Boston GM Sweeney and Neely for trading everyone to the pacific like he is giving the finger to both Benning and Chareilli. :frantic:

Maybe he is, but he also knows when to start the RE-BUILD!

You honestly have no clue what you're talking about, just stop

Archived