The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HHOF 2015 Inductees: Lidstrom, Fedorov, Pronger, Housley, Ruggiero, Karmanos and Hay

2015 HHOF Inductees Announced! - Congratulations to Sergei Fedorov, Phil Housley, Nicklas Lidstrom, Chris Pronger, Angela Ruggiero, Bill Hay & Peter Karmanos.

CIsaONbUAAATf06.jpg

The Class of 2015 was elected by a selection committee of 18 individuals. The induction ceremony will be Nov. 9 at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto.

Lidstrom, Fedorov and Pronger were chosen in their first year of eligibility.

Lidstrom is in the discussion of the greatest defensemen ever. His teammates nicknamed him "The Perfect Human" near the end of his career with the Detroit Red Wings. A Vasteras, Sweden native, Lidstrom won the Norris Trophy seven times, which is tied with Doug Harvey for second-most behind Bobby Orr, who won it eight times.

In a 20-year NHL career, all with the Red Wings, Lidstrom played 1,564 games (fourth among defensemen) and had 1,142 points. He is sixth in points at the position, though each of the five defensemen in front of him were in their primes during the most offensive era in the history of the League.

Lidstrom won the Stanley Cup four times. He was the first European-born and -trained player to win the Conn Smythe Trophy, in 2002, and he was first to captain a Stanley Cup champion, in 2008. He was second to Pavel Bure in the Calder Trophy voting in 1992, finished second in the Norris voting three times, and while he never won the Lady Byng Trophy, Lidstrom finished second five times.

A member of the Triple Gold Club, Lidstrom won gold medals playing for Sweden at the IIHF World Championship in 1991 and the 2006 Turin Olympics. He represented Sweden four times in the Olympics.

Fedorov was Lidstrom’s teammate for three championships with the Red Wings. He won the Hart Trophy and Ted Lindsay Award in 1994, and was a two-time winner of the Selke Trophy (1994, 1996).

Fedorov played 18 seasons in the NHL with the Red Wings, Anaheim Ducks, Columbus Blue Jackets and Washington Capitals. He had 483 goals and 1,179 points in 1,248 games, and 176 points in 183 Stanley Cup Playoff games.

A native of Pskov, Russia, Fedorov was one of the most famous athletes in the world in the mid-1990s. He was part of Detroit's "Russian Five" when coach Scotty Bowman put him at center with Igor Larionov and Vyacheslav Kozlov on the wings and Viacheslav Fetisov and Vladimir Konstantinov on defense.

Prior to coming to the NHL, Fedorov, Bure and Alexander Mogilny formed a devastating line for CSKA Moscow and the Soviet Union. Fedorov helped win the 1989 IIHF World Junior Championship and the 1989 and 1990 IIHF World Championships before defecting during the 1990 Goodwill Games in Seattle. He helped Russia win gold at the 2008 World Championship and played Russia three times at the Olympics.

Pronger became the only defenseman other than Bobby Orr in 2000 when he won the Hart Trophy and the Norris Trophy. He played 1,167 games in 18 NHL seasons with the Hartford Whalers, St. Louis Blues, Edmonton Oilers, Anaheim Ducks and Philadelphia Flyers. He helped the Ducks win the Stanley Cup in 2007, and also reached the Cup Final with the Oilers in 2006 and the Flyers in 2010.

He is also a member of the Triple Gold club. Pronger won the 1997 World Championship with Canada, is a two-time Olympic gold medalist and won the Stanley Cup in 2007 with the Ducks. He also won gold at the 1993 World Junior Championship.

Known as one of the most physical defensemen of his era, Pronger also logged an incredible amount of ice time. He averaged more than 30 minutes per game in two seasons for the Blues, and more than 25 minutes per game in every full season he played from 1998-99 to 2009-10.

Pronger's career was cut short by injuries. He last played Nov. 19, 2011, because of concussion issues, which made him eligible for the Hall of Fame this year.

Housley had 1,232 points in 1,495 games across 21 seasons with eight franchises. He has the fourth-most points in NHL history among defensemen. One of the top offensive defensemen of his generation, Housley had at least 60 points in a season 12 times.

He represented the United States in the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics, winning a silver medal, and two times in the Canada Cup. Housley also appeared in the NHL All-Star Game seven times. He is the second-leading scorer among American-born players behind Mike Modano.

Joining the 2015 inductees at the ceremony in November in Toronto will be Bob McKenzie of TSN, who won the Elmer Ferguson Memorial Award for excellence in hockey journalism, and Nick Nickson, radio voice of the Los Angeles Kings, who is the winner of the Foster Hewitt Memorial Award for outstanding contributions to broadcasting.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=772913

Pat Quinn not voted in on 1st ballot in builders category is incomprehensible. :picard::picard::picard:

Quinn had more hockey in his left toenail than both Hay and Karmanos put together

Yeah, that's BS right there. Considering Quinn's influence will be felt for years to come.

Also, I've been browsing online, and I can't find anything that contradicts this, so congrats to Pronger and being the first "active" player inducted to the HOF!

I asked this in the Pronger trade thread but, has this situation happened before (ie - a player is inducted into the HHOF but is still being paid)?

Yeah, that's BS right there. Considering Quinn's influence will be felt for years to come.

Also, I've been browsing online, and I can't find anything that contradicts this, so congrats to Pronger and being the first "active" player inducted to the HOF!

Mario Lemieux was inducted into the hall of fame, and then played after as well. So he still played in the NHL after he was inducted.

The way Chris Prongers contract situation has been completely ignored by the league is absolutely disgusting in my opinion. The guy is technically still an active player under the rules but yet he is being inducted into the hall of fame? I don't understand how the league continue to allow this cap circumvention continue while other teams have been punished for far lesser actions.

The way Chris Prongers contract situation has been completely ignored by the league is absolutely disgusting in my opinion. The guy is technically still an active player under the rules but yet he is being inducted into the hall of fame? I don't understand how the league continue to allow this cap circumvention continue while other teams have been punished for far lesser actions.

Why does this effect you in such a negative way...lol the guy is top 10 best d ever, he deserves it

Archived