The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Question for discussion... Who is the Canucks third string Goalie now?

Claiborne55

Joacim Eriksson has left for the KHL. Joe Cannata played in the ECHL last year and can't be seriously considered to be NHL ready. Joe should spend the next year in the AHL with the Comets.
So It appears we have no depth in our goaltending position now with Lack and Eriksson both gone. Are we going to be shopping for a 3rd string goalie or even a backup in free agency starting July 1st? Has the back up job just been given to Markstrom with no training camp competition at all?
God forbid but If Miller gets injured who will replace him? I think we all agree Markstrom is not ready yet to be the full time starting goalie, maybe in a year or two.
If Miller gets hurt will we have to make a trade for a starting goalie? Worst yet...what would it cost us?. Will it cost us more than a 3rd round pick for a NHL caliber starting goalie.
Really think Management has dropped the ball on this one...this is shaping up to be a real mess.

We won't be trading for a starting goalie, no matter what happens.(Well, Extreme circumstances aside)

This team is destined to miss the playoffs this year.

We have no NHL depth anywhere right now.

The future looks good, it's going to be a very painful 3-5 years before we're competitive again though.

The back up job is Markstrom's to lose at this point. Barring something catastrophic happening, he's pretty much a lock.

As for the 3rd string, again, it's Cannata's job at this point but I can totally see them grabbing a cheap veteran back up goalie. Would Bryz play in the AHL? Because that would be pretty amazing to have him around just to see his interviews.

Remember what happened in December of 2013 when Luongo got injured. Canucks went with a guy that had less than 10 games NHL experience.

Is all canucks fan can do it think of worst case scenarios? When you have more than one hypothetical situation, it’s no longer worth asking.

What if Miller gets injured or abducted?

What if Markstrom doesn’t look ready or gets abducted?

What if canucks have to give up more than a third to find a goalie? What if he gets abducted?

It’s getting ridiculous.

What if miller doesn’t get injured?

What if Markstrom carries on from his unreal season last year?

No more what if’s.

“One cannot refuse to eat just because there is a chance of choking”

What if Markstrom carries on from his unreal season last year?

Well then we REALLY need to trade for an NHL calibre goalie. Oh wait, you meant his unreal AHL season don't you? I sure hope so. His NHL season was unreal in all the bad ways...

Joacim Eriksson has left for the KHL. Joe Cannata played in the ECHL last year and can't be seriously considered to be NHL ready. Joe should spend the next year in the AHL with the Comets.
So It appears we have no depth in our goaltending position now with Lack and Eriksson both gone. Are we going to be shopping for a 3rd string goalie or even a backup in free agency starting July 1st? Has the back up job just been given to Markstrom with no training camp competition at all?
God forbid but If Miller gets injured who will replace him? I think we all agree Markstrom is not ready yet to be the full time starting goalie, maybe in a year or two.
If Miller gets hurt will we have to make a trade for a starting goalie? Worst yet...what would it cost us?. Will it cost us more than a 3rd round pick for a NHL caliber starting goalie.
Really think Management has dropped the ball on this one...this is shaping up to be a real mess.

Sigh. :sadno:

It's June 29th. I'm quite pretty sure the management can find an AHL goalie by September. :shock:

Relax. Go for a swim or something. :towel:

Well then we REALLY need to trade for an NHL calibre goalie. Oh wait, you meant his unreal AHL season don't you? I sure hope so. His NHL season was unreal in all the bad ways...

Oh no markstrom has one bad game. Guess since we're basing everything off the two games we saw from markstrom we can say that markstrom had a better winning percentage than lack last year. Lack started in 39 games and only got 18 wins = 46%

Markstrom started in 2 games and got 1 win = 50%.

Good thing we kept the younger better goalie then.

Lots of quality F/A tendies coming out of NCAA and the CHL. I could make a list. Not much to worry about. Richard Bachman or Peter Budaj are quality 3rd string goalies that would cost next to nothing to acquire.

Archived