The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What players will the Canucks target on July 1st?

duncan44

Vermette would be my 1st choice. He would give us a legit 2nd line. SIgn him for 2 years. Give Bo someone to really challenge him. Flip Bonino. He will probably want around 3.5-4.5 prob right? maybe more tho. If we could get him around 3.5 that would be sweet. Vermette would give us a legit chance at the playoffs.

I am predicted little movement. Its the same every year on this site......Canucks are expected to sign all the high profile UFAs.

We are obviously not looking for goal tending. We have pretty much all the forwards we need already, and a handful of comets that will be in the running for jobs. If we keep Bieksa I guess we will still need another 6/7 type dman. If we move Bieksa I guess they could look at a 3/4 dman to take his place.

No cap space available.

Expect to sign depth players (4th line center, depth defensemen)
Expect to sign another goalie for Utica

Expect Bieksa to be traded when the big names in UFA are signed

There is no real need for any major contracts to be offered or space for them for that matter. If Cody Franson signs he will automatically become the new whipping boy of this franchise.

Why not give youth a chance? This team is on a downward trend with the way the division and conference has improved and will likely continue to improve over the next few weeks. I expect this to be a limbo year where the Canucks miss out on the playoffs and are big time sellers at the trade deadline. Got a lot of players that could bring back draft picks and Benning has said that he thinks the 2016 draft is deeper.

(*players are available for trade)

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows*
Baertschi - Bonino* - Vrbata*
Higgins* - Horvat - Kassian
Dorsett - VACANT - Hansen*

Vey, Kenins

Edler* - Tanev
Hamhuis* - Corrado
Sbisa* - Clendening

Sanguinetti(?)

Miller

Markstrom

UFA Targets:

Matt Irwin (D)
Kyle Cumiskey (D)

Matt Hunwick (D)
Mark Barberio (D)
Matt Bartkowski (D)

If Richardson isn't signed:

Jim Slater ©

Gregory Campbell ©

Richard Bachman (G)

Just what I am thinking..

We have no cap to sign any of these players above.

Players will be traded or put on Waivers but teams are allowed to exceed the cap by no more than 10 percent during the off season and will then need to be cap compliant before the start of the regular season.

How many times must it be said?

WE ARE TRYING TO GET YOUNGER.

We want our younger guys to have a chance to play big roles on this team. Signing guys like Franson aren't going to change us from a bubble team to a contender. We need to let the youngins have a chance

Vermette would be my 1st choice. He would give us a legit 2nd line. SIgn him for 2 years. Give Bo someone to really challenge him. Flip Bonino. He will probably want around 3.5-4.5 prob right? maybe more tho. If we could get him around 3.5 that would be sweet. Vermette would give us a legit chance at the playoffs.

Are u kidding me? The guy was useless most of his time with the Hawks. We don't need overpaid dead weight like that.

I highly doubt there will be any signings of FA's, the Canucks have too many forwards and defenceman that actually need to play in fact a fwd and dman or two should be traded. As mentioned Soderberg signed with Colo for 4.75 mil, Vermette will go for something around the same, Franson will cost over 5.5, Green I wouldn't even want on this team, he is not worth the money that he wants and will get and in my opinion is overrated. But if some moves could be made maybe on D Irwin could be good, and for a C maybe Richardson should be re-signed for a year or a player similar to him in that price range for the same one year term that can play both C/RW who can win f/o other than that really I don't see much happening and should not happen and am fine with that.

Archived