The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why all the panic!?

BlackRedYellow

1. A new management (regardless of who they are) cannot turn around a burning ship in one year! (Burning ship=a team with an old core and lots of NTC’s.)
  2. Three goalies is one too many! Miller had the best win % last season and the team looked very comfortable with him in goal. (Doesn’t matter that he let a couple of lousy goals in when already losing, hence his bad individual stats! He still won much more games than Lack in regards to games played for both. And yes, I'd prefer Lack to stay and Marky to go, but that's just bad asset management!)
  3. In order to ship out the aging core (with NTC’s) we really need to go the cheapest way forward for a couple of years. Hence Linden Vey, Corrado, Clendening, Markstrom etc…
  4. We really need to trust in our new guys and give them a chance. Corrado, Clendening, Virtanen, Grenier, Shink, Gaunce etc… they could all be regulars within 2 years if they get some ice time. (And we need to give them this due to no 1 & 3)
  5. To read that many old season ticket holders are now abandoning the ship due to bad management (in their opinion) when the management has done what they think is the best for our team in the future (read no 1 again) is really bad! I say, we can be without you, so please leave immediately!
  6. The off season is just started, so why beat them up before the puck drops in October!? (I will give them a chance for at least two more years, because three years with this aging core is needed to turn it around.)
  7. Tanking is not an option. For every team you say won a Cup due to it, I can mention 10 teams that hasn’t! Also, I can mention more teams that has won the cup thru smart dealing and own development of prospects. I’d rather go that way!

I’ve been a Canuck since late eighties, and seen both good times and bad. We finished 8th last season, one of our best ever!! And yes, we got off to a bad start vs Flames and couldn’t handle the hard wind before it was too late. Guess what? One bad playoff is not enough to jump to any conclusions. As I said, let’s give them two more years, and if things still don't look any better, let’s hope for a new management then.

Forever a Canuck!

The fact Chris Higgins sorry A** hasn't been traded out of town yet worries me the most

Edit - as of the 7th point please list the 10 in recent memory

Why, he is an excellent 3rd liner. As long as Baertschi is on the 2nd line next year, Higgins will be more than welcome on our 3rd line.

Why, he is an excellent 3rd liner. As long as Baertschi is on the 2nd line next year, Higgins will be more than welcome on our 3rd line.

Gaunce/Shinkaruk/Kenins can all play on the 3rd line. 2.5 million is needed to spend on our defence. Higgins sucks its to bad cause he is a nice guy :/

It's true that tanking may not guarantee a cup, but if you look at the recent cup winners, they all tanked at one point.

How long have the Hawks and kings been the laughing stock in the nhl for bottom feeders during the early and mid 2000s? They couldn't get players like toews, kane, doughty, jack Johnson (trade for Jeff carter) without tanking. Sure they get others like kopitar, brown a bit later and gem like Keith second round, but you need high talent as a core. You can't get those without doing horrendous the previous year

Gaunce/Shinkaruk/Kenins can all play on the 3rd line. 2.5 million is needed to spend on our defence. Higgins sucks its to bad cause he is a nice guy :/

Higgins doesn't suck. He can't get it done in the top six but he's an excellent 3rd liner. If anything he's a filler (and a solid one at that) on the third line until one of Shinkaruk or Virtanen are ready to make the jump if we can't find a taker for him.

Higgins doesn't suck. He can't get it done in the top six but he's an excellent 3rd liner. If anything he's a filler (and a solid one at that) on the third line until one of Shinkaruk or Virtanen are ready to make the jump if we can't find a taker for him.

Pretty much this.

Why all the panic? Because we lost the 2011 finals. If we had won, this would have given the fan base at least 10 years of hey, we dont care we already won a cup to offset the losing.

Frankly, this is why Vancouver is this type of panicking market. The same type of atmosphere was on display in Game 7 of that final, and also in every home game when we are down by 2 goals. Fans get quiet and nervous, transfers to the team, and some players have even admitted this to be the case.

We got the most sought after GM at the time and Linden in our front office, and some fans still complain. Who else would you want to bring the franchise back to glory??? Any new mgmt team you should be giving at least 5 years and see how they do, no exceptions.

The fact Chris Higgins sorry A** hasn't been traded out of town yet worries me the most

Omg this.

I want to play youth next year. I don't care where we place as long as some of virtannen, cassels, gaunce, shink, clendenning, fox, grenier ect get ice time. Obviously not all but more then 1 I hope

Late 80's you say?..like when Tanti and Sundstrom were the only two carrying our offense,must feel like old times eh. in search of secondary scoring especially for when it counts ..in the post season.

that wasn't panic so much as despondency.

I wouldn't be too surprised if we remained in the hunt for the bottom playoff spot in the conference for a good portion of the season and if we do manage to stay in it until the trade deadline then it I would not be surprised to see us jettison a couple of mid round picks for some solid journeymen help to give us a push at the end.

I'm predicting we're going to be playing meaningful games for most of the season - and playing meaningful games means delivering high quality sports entertainment to the paying customer.

There is optimism and then there is ignorance. The OP is of the latter grain.

Sure. That sounds like an intelligent reply!

Do you also know where we'll end up in the upcoming season? 8th again? 16th? 24th? Too bad they didn't make you our new GM, then we would win the cup ASAP! :-)

I think people are upset because they see gms of our rival teams acquiring guys like dougie Hamilton while we're giving away fan favorites and our best goalie like lack for a poor return. It took us how long to develop lack? So we could trade him for a third? What a waste. Could it not have been forseen that a 3yr contract for miller was a year to long.

I garantee you in two years people on this site crying about dorsett contract when he's burnt out and can't keep the pace.

Jim Benning was dubbed the saviour before he even was hired. Reality should be setting in that we have a rookie gm and it will take him five years to have the experience it takes to not make the mistakes he's been making. I like our prospects and all but even once they are developed I don't see them as any better than what the Oilers and flames are putting together.

Archived