The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN 1040 (June 30 8:30am)

cuporbust

What did he say about the Lucic trade - how close were they, what was the asking price and any details and who might have been offered?

Not much. Nothing new. Basically he tried , they went in a different direction. Didn't have the right assets to trade apparently.

ask him why he hasnt traded stanton or mattias or richardsons rights for a late pick next yr unbelievable

Maybe because nobody offered the Canucks anything for these three and figure it wouldn't be worth giving up a pick just to sign bottom 6 players or depth players

Ridiculous that he keeps saying they haven't asked Bieksa to waive, yet are in talks with other teams, and with juice and his agent. Juice knows they're trying to trade him and has agreed otherwise no one would be talking.

ask him why he hasnt traded stanton or mattias or richardsons rights for a late pick next yr unbelievable

Maybe because nobody offered the Canucks anything for these three and figure it wouldn't be worth giving up a pick just to sign bottom 6 players or depth players

It is true that no-one will give up anything, even a 7th round pick, just for the right to negotiate with a mid-level UFA before free agency opens. But Matthias would have been valuable at the trade deadline. The second or maybe even first round pick they could have traded him for would have looked very good in this draft.

just a heads up that Benning is on 1040 this morning at 830am.

Sounds like they plan on asking the tough questions. Should be interesting to hear JBs in depth take on the direction this team has taken

-talked to 10 teams about Lack , but said " at the end of the day , that was the only real offer we got".

-Lack was going to command a high salary after next season , wanted to give markstrom his chance

-feels boeser will be a top six forward

- feels Brisebois will be a top 4 d man

-won't see any of our picks from this year for 3-4 years

-lack was acquired to be a backup, feels that shows how the league values him

-Was in on lucic but didn't have the assets to aquire him or Hamilton

- expecting to add a depth D man in free agency

- not going to make blockbuster moves in free agency because of cap issues

-would not comment on bieksa shopping for houses in San Jose , says deal what not close with him there , but still talking to other teams and his agent

-Kevin has not asked for a trade and they haven't asked him to waive his NTC.

- not going to trade Virtanen McCann Horvat for anyone

-still working on signing webber

More of the same really

Maybe because they've now asked someone else to waive?? lol

What I like about Benning is that he is as open and honest as he can be..a real change from Gillis.

I agree that is a nice change. Gillis always sounded like he was p**ssed off when answering questions and was neither open nor particularly honest.

What I found interesting was JB's response to the question "What will it take to make the playoffs this year." JB sounded pretty realistic. The first thing he said was the other teams in the Division had all gotten better (which is true) and that they were "hoping" to be in contention for a playoff spot. This means that he has recognized that there is a good chance they will miss the playoffs and is not trying to oversell the team.

I also like that he reiterated that they will not trade players who will be in the future core -- mentioning Horvat, Virtanen, and McCann by name.

I was worried that the Canucks might sacrifice the future to just sneak into the playoffs this year. But it sounds like that will not happen.

The next step would be to admit that this is a rebuilding year and be prepared to trade away veteran assets at the deadline to pick up draft picks. Realistically, the Canucks could go into the 2016 draft with a very high pick for their own (low) finish and low first round picks obtained in trade for Vrbata and Hammer. And they should be able to get second round picks for Bieksa and maybe Higgins or Burrows (both of whom will still have another year on their contracts).

As 2016 is supposed to be another very deep draft, it could be a monster draft for the Canucks. I could see the Canucks back in the playoffs in 2016-17 as some of guys in the system now develop more and being Cup contenders maybe a year or two after that.

I agree that is a nice change. Gillis always sounded like he was p**ssed off when answering questions and was neither open nor particularly honest.

What I found interesting was JB's response to the question "What will it take to make the playoffs this year." JB sounded pretty realistic. The first thing he said was the other teams in the Division had all gotten better (which is true) and that they were "hoping" to be in contention for a playoff spot. This means that he has recognized that there is a good chance they will miss the playoffs and is not trying to oversell the team.

I also like that he reiterated that they will not trade players who will be in the future core -- mentioning Horvat, Virtanen, and McCann by name.

I was worried that the Canucks might sacrifice the future to just sneak into the playoffs this year. But it sounds like that will not happen.

The next step would be to admit that this is a rebuilding year and be prepared to trade away veteran assets at the deadline to pick up draft picks. Realistically, the Canucks could go into the 2016 draft with a very high pick for their own (low) finish and low first round picks obtained in trade for Vrbata and Hammer. And they should be able to get second round picks for Bieksa and maybe Higgins or Burrows (both of whom will still have another year on their contracts).

As 2016 is supposed to be another very deep draft, it could be a monster draft for the Canucks. I could see the Canucks back in the playoffs in 2016-17 as some of guys in the system now develop more and being Cup contenders maybe a year or two after that.

Positivity and logic! +1!

Ridiculous that he keeps saying they haven't asked Bieksa to waive, yet are in talks with other teams, and with juice and his agent. Juice knows they're trying to trade him and has agreed otherwise no one would be talking.

He says he's had constant talks with his agent, meaning he's keeping him up to date on the trade talks and potential destinations. You don't formally ask a player to waive his NTC until you have a trade in place.

If you say to the agent "Hey, Arizona is interested, would Kevin want to go there?" and the agent says no, that's that. There was no formal request to waive the NTC, but you found out he won't waive to go there. And then you can continue telling fans you haven't asked him to waive, without being a liar.

The people who think Benning could have got more for Lack are out to lunch.

Two scenarios: (1) the league doesn't pay enough attention to west coast teams and thus under-valued Lack, (2) Lack is over-valued by the Canucks. Either of those two scenarios will end in the some result - the Canucks not getting much for Lack.

Do you really think Benning is so dense that he wouldn't have told other teams what Carolina's offer was and asked them to beat it? Do you really think that other teams out there wanted Lack, but Benning wasn't answering phone calls because he was partying in South Beach?

If the guy is one thing, he's a worker. He works &^@#ing hard, and although some of his moves are worthy of debate, its pretty unfounded to argue that this guy isn't trying to do what is best for the franchise according to his vision. You may think his vision is wrong, but you're not part of the hockey world. Your opinion is less informed. You're like a patient telling a doctor how to do his job because of what you read on WebMD.

I think Canuck's management has become their own worst enemies with their recent transparency. It is great they are willing to engage the fan base through the media, but when Benning comes out and says he is not worried about not getting good value for his goalies because of the amount of interest, it creates an expectation amongst the fans that something more valuable than a 3rd and 7th round pick are coming back. Especially when the day before a goalie and cap dump were traded for a mid-first rounder.

Maybe Benning and the rest of the management group should be a little less transparent and choose the information they disclose through the media more carefully.

People have got to realize that Benning & Co are not going to trade away most of the veteran core this year. I very much doubt that Hamhuis will be traded at all. As far as other vets like Higgins, Burrows and Hansen are concerned - maybe one of them this year. Bieksa will be gone. Kassian has this year to show that he has learned how to be a consistent player, or he's gone. If they just cleaned the cupboards this year, who is going to be the structure of a team stocked by young, mostly unproven players? In that scenario, the team is worried that attendance would fall dramatically, along with wins. And they are right!

So. take a deep breath and be OK with this pace that Benning/Linden have set to restructure this team. There should be upwards of 4 spots on the roster up for grabs come October! And that's enough!

Archived