The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Ducks extend Juice

13 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, I think what we're seeing is kind of a "middle" ground at the moment. If we truly wanted to stay competitive over getting better, I think we would have seen at least one of Matthias or Richardson back. I was actually surprised (pleasantly I might add) that we didn't sign either. On defense, we let Stanton and Bieksa go and only signed Bartkowski.

So I actually think we are inching in the direction you're already preaching about. There are just obstacles like contracts, trying to make good trades, etc. I personally don't know if I'd move everyone in our d out (I don't really believe in being that extreme), but I have a feeling we'll see something happen in a year or 2 with our defense. Until then, this is what we have.

Sorry, to clarify, I'm not saying I would move everyone, as in they're ALL gone. I mean I'd be willing to move a couple of anyone on our D not named Hutton. Whomever it would take to make the improvements and speed the transition to youth/fill our current age and talent gap. Even the seemingly 'untouchable' (to many) Tanev (or Edler, or the recently signed Sbisa etc).

Make a trade for a Hamonic/Bowey/Barrie... etc Via Edler or Tanev, move Hamhuis for picks and then sign a lefty UFA (if we move Edler, righty if it's Tanev) top 4 this summer and we're getting somewhere.

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Sorry, to clarify, I'm not saying I would move everyone, as in they're ALL gone. I mean I'd be willing to move a couple of anyone on our D not named Hutton. Whomever it would take to make the improvements and speed the transition to youth/fill our current age and talent gap. Even the seemingly 'untouchable' (to many) Tanev (or Edler, or the recently signed Sbisa etc).

Make a trade for a Hamonic/Bowey/Barrie... etc Via Edler or Tanev, move Hamhuis for picks and then sign a lefty UFA (if we move Edler, righty if it's Tanev) top 4 this summer and we're getting somewhere.

I have a feeling those players at the moment have a lot of competition to get them. I don't even want to know what Snow is asking for Hamonic at the moment. lol

As I said earlier, I wish it were that easy.... le sigh.... lol

Just now, The Lock said:

I have a feeling those players at the moment have a lot of competition to get them. I don't even want to know what Snow is asking for Hamonic at the moment. lol

As I said earlier, I wish it were that easy.... le sigh.... lol

What we're likely waiting for is opportunity. We need a team that has playoff aspirations and/or a stockpile of young, quality D they don't have room for (Washington, NYI etc) to have an injury they need a replacement for so we have a greater position of strength and we're not just sitting there doing this:

image.png?w=500&c=1

Patience...

On 7/1/2015, 6:47:43, TheRussianRocket. said:

@FriedgeHNIC:

Bieksa extension is 2 years, $8M

@FriedgeHNIC:

Bieksa also has a no-move clause as part of the new deal

Fair deal for both sides.

is he really that good? 4mil per season? and all we got was a draft pick? am i missing something here? I liked him but never saw his value and neither did the ducks or thats what they wanted the canucks to believe.. oh well good for juice...

1 minute ago, *16* said:

is he really that good? 4mil per season? and all we got was a draft pick? am i missing something here? I liked him but never saw his value and neither did the ducks or thats what they wanted the canucks to believe.. oh well good for juice...

On 11/20/2015, 11:12:43, TheRussianRocket. said:

Bob Murray, another great job here. Fringe bottom pairing dman here at $4m per with a full NMC on the decline fast. 

:)

On 11/21/2015, 2:10:06, Hutton Wink said:

Change of mind, I'm gathering?

On 11/21/2015, 2:44:51, TheRussianRocket. said:

Didn't know Juice would fall off the face of the Earth this quick tbh. Thought he'd maybe be as bad as he is in the 2nd year of the deal.

6 minutes ago, *16* said:

I think Anaheim was missing something.... like their heads.... ;)

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

What we're likely waiting for is opportunity. We need a team that has playoff aspirations and/or a stockpile of young, quality D they don't have room for (Washington, NYI etc) to have an injury they need a replacement for so we have a greater position of strength and we're not just sitting there doing this:

image.png?w=500&c=1

Patience...

they all want prospects in return and i know benning doens't want to give up on any...

Just now, *16* said:

they all want prospects in return and i know benning doens't want to give up on any...

Most of those teams don't want prospects, or at least they wouldn't need to be the major piece in the trade. They're contending, not rebuilding. They largely want current, proven NHL players.

And saying he doesn't want to give up any would be inaccurate. He's already given up some to get pieces he wants and 'prospects' is highly variable. Sautner =/= Shinkaruk for example.

Can't believe Benning got a 2nd PLUS Anaheim went on to extend Juice for two years at 4 mil per. Bieksa is a decent bottom pairing at 1-2 million for leadership/toughness, but he is well beyond his days as a top 4 defender. He really shouldn't be playing any more than 16 or 17 minutes per night. 

It is almost sad reading about his time in Anaheim. How awful he looked with Lindholm, which they blamed on chemistry, then how he still looks terrible with Fowler. The Ducks writer was almost confused on how a veteran makes far more mistakes than his younger counterpart. 

In almost every defensive category he is 6th or 7th out of 7 for Ducks defenseman while playing against a fairly high QOC (3rd out of 7). Despite being awful he still gets minutes against good players. I guess they are trying to justify his high price tag. 

What really ruffles Ducks fans feathers is that they let Beauchemin walk, then gave up a 2nd round pick to fill his spot and signed Bieksa to a similar contract. Beauchemin >>> Bieksa both with the Ducks and now (Beauchemin 12 points +1 vs Bieksa 3 points -10). 

A lot of fans gripe about Vey and Baertschi, but I would trade Tortorella and Bieksa for Vey and Baertschi any day of the week. 

Lol I assume everyone bashing juice is just looking at the stats. 

This guy is logging #1 dman minutes and he's one of the few reasons this sad team isn't last in the nhl. They get absolute garbage efforts from 80% of their team night in, night out. At least juice is man enough and stands up for his team mates. 

I can't imagine a single guy on the ducks roster respecting Perry or kesler. That team must hate each other. 

1 hour ago, apollo said:

This guy is logging #1 dman minutes and he's one of the few reasons this sad team isn't last in the nhl. They get absolute garbage efforts from 80% of their team night in, night out. At least juice is man enough and stands up for his team mates. 

I can't imagine a single guy on the ducks roster respecting Perry or kesler. That team must hate each other. 

The article presented to us in the 3rd page of this thread tells us that Anaheim's not pleased with his play so far; thus, the comments.

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The article presented to us in the 3rd page of this thread tells us that Anaheim's not pleased with his play so far; thus, the comments.

Some there might be wanting more from KB.  I will always have great respect for him.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Some there might be wanting more from KB.  I will always have great respect for him.  

Believe it or not, I have great respect for him too. He's getting older though so it makes sense that his play's not going to be what it used to be.

Really, I'm just telling apollo why Bieksa's getting bashed because his assumption is inaccurate. ;)

2 hours ago, apollo said:

Watching stats? :facepalm: Watch the games. He was garbage last season for us playing against weak competition on our third pairing and for some reason the Ducks thought it was a good idea to put him on their top pairing and resign him at at a bloated 2 year deal.

He's making the classic Juice brain farts every other shift now and it's costing the Ducks big time.

Don't take my word for it:

Bieksa is absolutely atrocious - one of the worst Ducks defenders I have ever seen.

So it is confirmed, Byeksa (get it? because everyone gets by him, funny, right?) is playing that much with hopes he'll pull through and stop sucking.

All those goals should have been a major warning, BM gambled and lost big time!! Bieksa is useless. I got a feeling BB doesn't want to bench him because it will make BM look bad to the owners and the owners will complain to BM about sitting someone and paying him 3 mil. Than BM will get mad and let BB go.. BB doesn't want to get on BM bad side. Seriously this guy is a cancer to this team..

I would take Beauch at 6 years over this piece of **** known as Bieksa

3 goals against with him on the ice. What a useless sack of crap. Could've done something on all of those goals.

Bruce can spin it all he wants, my guess is that he knows what a disaster Kev is, and is putting him with the only guy he has currently capable of babysitting him. Stoner can't, Lindholm can't, until Despres returns it's Cam + Kev or bust.

There's some of that, but I think what separates the two is that Sbisa was often blamed for things going wrong that he had no hand in, whereas Bieksa seems to be garnering most of the hate from his actions, alone.

That's true. Kev is aggressively bad, like he's doing it on purpose.

Bieksa is just bad. I don't think either Stoner or Sbisa put together consistently poor performances the way Bieksa has.

I can go on forever :lol:

Kudos to Jim and Trevor for recognizing that he was a complete boat anchor and pulling off the heist that they did

54 minutes ago, Robongo said:

Watching stats? :facepalm: Watch the games. He was garbage last season for us playing against weak competition on our third pairing and for some reason the Ducks thought it was a good idea to put him on their top pairing and resign him at at a bloated 2 year deal.

He's making the classic Juice brain farts every other shift now and it's costing the Ducks big time.

Don't take my word for it:

I can go on forever :lol:

Kudos to Jim and Trevor for recognizing that he was a complete boat anchor and pulling off the heist that they did

I don't deny KBs best play is far behind him, but I do question the objectivity of these quotes.  Are these from reputable and properly vetted sources, or are they taken from fan forums?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I don't deny KBs best play is far behind him, but I do question the objectivity of these quotes.  Are these from reputable and properly vetted sources, or are they taken from fan forums?

They're obviously from the Ducks forum.

Archived