The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Matt Bartkowski

Looks like he's right about his Top 4 quality given his HERO chart. No appreciable change in the last couple of years too, so not sure why Bruins fans were so down on him last year. The only downside is his goal production but that's guaranteed to jump up substantially.

MattBartkowski.jpg

His Goals per 60 is so low because he has yet to score a goal in the nhl regular season. His offense is pretty repressed due to the fact that he was buried by Bostons' defensive depth and not getting time on the PP. Good solid puck-moving and possession player. His underlying numbers suggest that you will see an uptick in his offensive numbers and should indirectly create more offence, similar to what Tanev does.

I think I heard somewhere that the Calgary puck is actually from his first Win as President of the Canucks .. :towel:

Makes sense. His last game was against the flames but it was in Vancouver. Wouldn't have a flames logo on it.

• 2 months later...

not to mention their grinders can also play offence, our grinders are only limited to "grinding". it's really not even close, we don't even have a defencemen remotely close to Doughty or Keith, the players that literally drive those teams. The closes we ever had was Christian Ehrhoff, but Canucks fans think he's "redundant"

Right now in this stage of his career. Yes Christain Erhoff is redundant. Back in 2010-2011 not so much, but he still was a #2. Be it a great #2 defenceman. Now he is a 6/7 defensmen playing a primarily limited offensive roll. Only getting older.

• 2 weeks later...

Will Bart be this years Santorelli? Bargain signing who plays well for us...

Or will he be better than that???

I'm on record as a doubter. I have to admit he looked pretty good his first game. Albeit first pre-season game.

Can he actually be a stud top 4 guy? That's what I believe we needed. And should have cleared space to acquire. I'm personally not pinning those expectations on him.

But if he pulls that off Benning is a smart man. And I'll have to eat some, err, doubt.

Anyone care to place their projection as to where he actually fits?

And comment as to whether he'll play natural left side, or will crossover. Here is my projection through the start of December. Suggest Bartkowski starts higher than I list below. In place of Corrado.

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Corrado

Sbisa Bartkowski

Weber

These threads are always filled with the same thoughtless noise.

My favorite one in this thread is the idea that Bartkowski is here to assist with the 'tank'. One thing is for certain - like rust that never sleeps, the dumb never cease.

So, Bartkowski doesn't have the sexy pedigree.

What he does have is a good combination of attributes that will improve the third pairing.

He's a calm guy that skates well and moves the puck with composure.

He'll also throw 150-200 hits this year, assuming he's in the lineup regularly.

If he's paired with Sbisa, as it appears may be the intention, he stands a good chance of complementing him well imo.

He played primarily with Seidenberg and McQuaid last year. Wadr, that was not going to lead to impressive production. What he did have however was better underlying numbers than either of them.

The year before he played primarily with Boychuk.- and his production was comparable.

A good guy to have in the mix in the bottom 4 that can be used in different ways - has some versatility.

A good GM is not one that pleases the simple fans in their fanbase by adding the shiny assets that highlight reel fans are pining for - a good GM knows what players are undervalued - knows what players are under-rated. Both Gillis and Benning had and have a very good eye and do their homework.

Give Bartkowski some time here and I think (sensible) people without a pissy agenda to poopoo every move this team makes will appreciate what Bartkowski brings. I personally think he represents an improved partner for Sbisa - or a guy you can play alongside a (young) rhd like Corrado - and he'll be a stable presence that moves the puck well.

I considered him a depth guy and nothing more, so I'm pleasantly surprised. I don't know about you.

It was obvious last season our mobility on the back end was killing us. We need D-men that can skate, so adding guys like Bartkowski, Corrado, and Hutton is good.

These threads are always filled with the same thoughtless noise.

My favorite one in this thread is the idea that Bartkowski is here to assist with the 'tank'. One thing is for certain - like rust that never sleeps, the dumb never cease.

So, Bartkowski doesn't have the sexy pedigree.

What he does have is a good combination of attributes that will improve the third pairing.

He's a calm guy that skates well and moves the puck with composure.

He'll also throw 150-200 hits this year, assuming he's in the lineup regularly.

If he's paired with Sbisa, as it appears may be the intention, he stands a good chance of complementing him well imo.

He played primarily with Seidenberg and McQuaid last year. Wadr, that was not going to lead to impressive production. What he did have however was better underlying numbers than either of them.

The year before he played primarily with Boychuk.- and his production was comparable.

A good guy to have in the mix in the bottom 4 that can be used in different ways - has some versatility.

A good GM is not one that pleases the simple fans in their fanbase by adding the shiny assets that highlight reel fans are pining for - a good GM knows what players are undervalued - knows what players are under-rated. Both Gillis and Benning had and have a very good eye and do their homework.

Give Bartkowski some time here and I think (sensible) people without a pissy agenda to poopoo every move this team makes will appreciate what Bartkowski brings. I personally think he represents an improved partner for Sbisa - or a guy you can play alongside a (young) rhd like Corrado - and he'll be a stable presence that moves the puck well.

From his mice'd up the other day he seems like a perfect fit for SbisaPizza. Really liked his on ice communication and positivity. The culture Benning is trying to cultivate is starting to grow.

Archived