The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Faith in Benning

baumerman77

Faith in Benning  

551 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have no faith in his ability to make good trades which concerns me about his ability to draft talent. He does not seem very good an evaluating talent. I didn't like to see MG fired I thought JB was a good hiring but as of right now I am seriously questioning his direction.

With the trade of Kassian, I honestly don't know anymore. I liked the previous trades, but Kassian is making me shake my hand. Didn't we want to get YOUNGER?

I'm guessing Canucks did actually "get younger" in the long run on this Kassian trade...

All that has really happened is that management traded a bottom 6 distraction (who may or may not ever make the leap to the top 6, but most certainly will continue to be a distraction either way) for a bottom 6 character guy who knows his job and does it consistently well.

In the short term, that's like addition (maturity, stability, calm, etc.) by subtraction (goofy antics, locker room distractions, hand-holding, etc.). And that math is good for the youth in the middle 6.

Now this doesn't by definition do a thing for opening up a roster spot right away perhaps, but if youth out-plays him, Prust won't be a locker room, media and fan distraction when he's getting fewer minutes or altogether scratched. And bonus, he's exactly the type of guy who can be flipped and/or packaged at the trade deadline for one of those picks management craves.

Prust isn't being brought in as part of a new core, he's a gap filler who will slip away or be flipped away the moment there's some youth who have earned those minutes.

1) Kassian did nothing for the team last year so anything Prust does is an improvement. Happy to see Kassian gone.

2) Sad to see Juice going but had to happen. Hope he wins the cup!

3) wouldn't have brought back Weber but can fill a depth role and pop in and out of the lineup as needed.

4) Happy with the younger Defensemen

5) The draft was not was I was expecting but it won't play out for a few years. Have to sit on that one.

6) Eddie Lack was going to get the best return. You could tell Benning tried for more but couldn't get more.

7) Canucks are getting younger. Fans want a change but whine and groan at every move.

It's not so doom and gloom. In fact I see more young players challenging and taking spots

Benning is an idiot. Im all for a rebuild, but atleast get some decent return for our assets. The return he is getting is absolutely a joke.

At the trade deadline is where you blow it all up. Teams overpay at the deadline. Bieksa and Kassian are worth a 1st at the deadline to contenders...

This...however, I'm OK with the Bieksa trade.

Very much YES.

Benning & Co. get rid of some cancer and bring in leadership to help with our young guys this year. We will probably ship out some more vets throughout the year to draft high, often and well. Then, like others have mentioned, we will free up 15-20 million in cap come free agency. Boom! Rebuild done and looking real good.

How many vets do the Canucks need to mentor (Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata, Burrows, Higgins, Hamhuis, Prust, Hansen, Miller)...all these guys take up roster spots...so who is going to get mentored, who actually needs mentoring? Horvat, Baert, Clendening, Corrado...it would be nice to see Cassels, Virtanen, Sanguinetti, Kenins, Grenier, Markstrom be on the roster and reduce some of the mentorship.

As long as we move Prust for a better pick at the deadline I'm good. No more losing players for nothing to UFA like Richardson and Matthias.

Could have easily added a couple third rounders for those guys.

Pretty much what I was going to say. Otherwise it doesn't make sense. He's here to mentor the young guys for the rebuild I guess???

Next JB will trade Horvat for Lecavalier because you know he is a leader and a cup winner you know and stuff. He will provide leadership for our young guys you know.

I've heard Benning say probably 150 times in the last week he's not trading Horvat or Virtanen , :sadno: at making up negative fantasies about the team you pretend to support .

How many vets do the Canucks need to mentor (Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata, Burrows, Higgins, Hamhuis, Prust, Hansen, Miller)...all these guys take up roster spots...so who is going to get mentored, who actually needs mentoring? Horvat, Baert, Clendening, Corrado...it would be nice to see Cassels, Virtanen, Sanguinetti, Kenins, Grenier, Markstrom be on the roster and reduce some of the mentorship.

You do realize that there's a good chance that half those mentors are traded at the deadline, right?

VEY + MCMILLAN say hi.

Mcmillan was literally a warm body to eat up some minutes when we were running ragged. Vey's rookie season ended with a point total only four less than Zack's best and he's in a situation where he has to prove himself. Don't really see what point you're trying to make.

You do realize that there's a good chance that half those mentors are traded at the deadline, right?

To bad the rest of the folks around here can't see it that way. Chances are most of the expiring contracts get shipped for picks. I can't imagine Bartkowski or Weber sticking around if Clendening or Corrado are ready for full time. If this team sits out of a playoff spot come trade deadline then the rest of the 2011 core (excluding Sedins and Edler) are toast. If Virt, Cassels, Gaunce or Grenier can make their presence felt in training camp they will be in as well. Vey needs more time in the minors and McMillan will not be resigned. Yeah it's a rebuild and yes you will play your hardest to make the playoffs. Why show your young blood how to tank?

Personally, I never really saw a reason to trust Benning and his "plan" from day one (not too mention I didn't think Linden was the most qualified individual to hire a GM). The things Benning said about what type of team he wanted (character, meat and potatoes, physical, etc), the reasons he gave all year for bad deals (Sbisa, Dorsett), and his disregard for analytics or progress in general made him seem from the outset like a bad pick to help rebuild this franchise. His only redeeming quality was his scouting ability which many have called into question recently.

Man you are such a downer fan... We're trying to get tougher we don't need to pick up the stick for the other team and look like a joke.. He's building prospects up how hard is that to understand?

Trading Kassian was just a real headscratcher for me and it will take me a few days to recuperate. I loved his style of play, and his swagger and attitude.

I apologize for the vitriol in my recent comments, but when you are so invested in this hockey team change becomes difficult and must be questioned when it comes to particular decisions. I just want a big, fast and mean hockey team that I can watch and say yea we kicked serious butt.

Archived