The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rocket League [PC/PS4]

• 1 month later...
On 2017-06-06 at 10:56 AM, Qwags said:

Just picked it up two days ago, along with the Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth. Rocket League is more addicting than I anticipated.

I find it surprising how my hockey knowledge can be strategically applied to Rocket League in some ways.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Played 4 games of this tonight, within 3 of which I was abused constantly :lol:

OK, I know I'm not great. But telling me to kill myself or die is a bit much.

Yeah, the place is starting to fill up with those kinds of people in the average ranks or lower. It's not as bad up higher from what I've seen, but it's still there. Usually I have fun with it and tell people I love them, etc after they say kys or I'm trash. I ask them to be best friends with me instead. Usually they either change their mood and be nice, keep trashing, or just get weirded out and stop all together. It's pretty successful.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Haven't played it. I want to, but I'm also not too interested in getting absolutely annihilated because I've never played it.

there's a relatively decent tier system (or whatever you call it). you're mostly going to be playing against noobs while being new

really fun game, IMO. i'm not very good either

11 hours ago, Monty said:

Haven't played it. I want to, but I'm also not too interested in getting absolutely annihilated because I've never played it.

9 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

there's a relatively decent tier system (or whatever you call it). you're mostly going to be playing against noobs while being new

really fun game, IMO. i'm not very good either

Yeah, the game gives you 10 games to determine where it puts you in the rankings. You are unranked for those first 10, whether you go into 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 or whatever. For the most part, it'll pair you up with guys around your level. Don't worry about getting screwed.

Plus, there's an unranked mode if you really don't want to go ranked right away. Or you can play single player against CPUs in a little season mode.

• 4 months later...

I expected this game to be a short stint for me, but it has turned into my most frequented competitive game in the past few months. I'm regularly practicing skills in my down time to improve more at the game. If there are any Steam players on here, I'd love to play some games, casual or competitive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2015 at 6:29 AM, DollarAndADream said:

So Kronovi, one of, if not the top Rocket League player faced off against another top guy in Gambit.

This sequence was nuts:

CarelessImpressionableDromaeosaur.gif

Here's their whole match:

Boy, times have changed.

15 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

It's a &^@#ing grind, man. I usually just play Doubles, and your teammate is like a hit or miss at being what you expect. :lol:

Yeah, I did some doubles with a partner and got close to Plat II, but man, it's ruthless. All your great moves all of a sudden don't work anymore. I like it down in Gold III where it's comfy and warm.

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, I did some doubles with a partner and got close to Plat II, but man, it's ruthless. All your great moves all of a sudden don't work anymore. I like it down in Gold III where it's comfy and warm.

Yeah, there's quite a skill drop off sometimes from Platinum to Gold. It's kind of the border between having fun and getting stressed out. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Hit Diamond this week but I think that's more down to my friends than me. We have a pretty good understanding now of when to rotate / defend / go forward and not get caught out.

I'm not a flashy player at all. I just batter it towards their goal from anywhere. No nonsense.

Diamond you have to concentrate so hard it hurts. It's so intense.

3 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Hit Diamond this week but I think that's more down to my friends than me. We have a pretty good understanding now of when to rotate / defend / go forward and not get caught out.

I'm not a flashy player at all. I just batter it towards their goal from anywhere. No nonsense.

Diamond you have to concentrate so hard it hurts. It's so intense.

Playing with friends you know and have chemistry with can really help. I have a mate I play Doubles with and I was able to get close to Platinum II, but I'm certain that if I played solo in Doubles, I'd drop further down to the edge of Plat and Gold. It also helps that he's more of a high Plat player, so he carries me a bit too.

On your note of not being flashy, I'd assume that macro play is probably more vital in higher levels than mechanical abilities.

Archived