The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN1040 @1:30 today

Outsiders

Why wouldn't he I mean he is like 67 he has like 3 years left tops as a head coach he doesn't have time to develop kids he just wants to try and win a stanley cup. We won't be having a 72-73 year old guy coaching the canucks in 5 years.

He's 58. I still hate the way he treats kids, but he's 58.

I agree that we should of got better trade value for Kassian.

Zack is 24, 6'3, 215lbs and has good hands and good wheels for big guy.. Zack is future 17-25 goal scorer...

Proust is 31, 6'0, 195lbs, not good hands, average skater, very aggressive adds toughnes, maybe 5-9 goals....

We should of got 2nd round pick in the deal ... Have to say Montreal won this deal...

I am hoping that there is at least one more deal in the works involving Burr or Higgins.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Baertschi - Bonino - 2RW

3LW - Horvat - Hansen

Prust - Vey - Dorsett

Kenins

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Weber

Sbisa - Corrado

Bartkowski, Clendening

Miller

Markstrom

With Burr and Higgins, we have two guys occupying roles that may be better filled by younger guys in the system. If we keep them for the start of the year, then maybe they will be unloaded at the deadline.

The 4C position also seems to be weak with Vey centering the line. I am not a Vey hater but the guy needs to at least win faceoffs this year. If we can at least improve our possession #s, that might help keep the team somewhat competitive.

I don't mind trading Kass but I am surprised that we couldn't deal him for at least a 1-1 deal. It's not like his cap hit is hard to absorb. My guess is that the management will unload guys this deadline because I'm not confident that they will be in the mix for the playoffs unless there are other moves planned.

When we GET a 5th rounder it means "jack sh-t" but apparently when we part with one it is the end of the world. Get real.

LOL, I don't think it's really the 5th rounder that's pissing people off. It's the optics of the whole deal.

Benning gave up the younger player, with more upside AND a better cap hit. He seemed to lose the deal on every angle.

And then tossed the habs a 5th :picard:

It's funny how people that don't know hockey can't really tell if Benning is seriously thinking on tanking or icing a mediocre team. TBH This is great it allows us to have more freed up capspace for big UFAs next year and to stock pile up more assets during the trade deadline. You guys need to realize that we already have trouble in the playoffs when Ferland was running wild. These moves will allow our prospects to mature for another year before they make the jump and honestly it's a great move to allow them mature and to refine their skill set even more. Look for a big movement for 2016 Draft/UFA this could be a very interesting one.

As much as I disagree with the return, this person has a good point. Maybe Prust won't be all that bad. Besides, at the end of the day, Prust has the hottest girlfriend on the team.

No we would have a power forward with potential who could potentially break out. Last year his back gave out on him this year he could have had a break out year and if the management has problems with his off ice crap then you can trade him when he actually has value. There was no reason to give Kassian away at all.

Virtanen has all the potential of kassian and way more. Kassian was redundant.

LOL, I don't think it's really the 5th rounder that's pissing people off. It's the optics of the whole deal.

Benning gave up the younger player, with more upside AND a better cap hit. He seemed to lose the deal on every angle.

When Boston says "no thanks" to a player because of personality or off ice yet has ference, Marchand, lucic etc. You know the kid has problems. It was a dump of culture.

We got a better return than Buffalo did for Hodgson... not only was he lost for nothing but his buyout will take cap space for years to come. We got an expiring contract which can be traded at the deadline, create cap space a year earlier for a better future trade/UFA or we can extend Prust if he pans out... all 3 options have value. Unless the 5th turns out to be a star, the Habs needed some incentive to take a player who has his last chance in the NHL and likely will be a Steve Bernier at best.

We got a better return than Buffalo did for Hodgson... not only was he lost for nothing but his buyout will take cap space for years to come. We got an expiring contract which can be traded at the deadline, create cap space a year earlier for a better future trade/UFA or we can extend Prust if he pans out... all 3 options have value. Unless the 5th turns out to be a star, the Habs needed some incentive to take a player who has his last chance in the NHL and likely will be a Steve Bernier at best.

So because we got more for Kass from the Habs than Buffalo got for Hodgson we did OK?

Why are we even comparing Kassian to Hodgson anymore? Hodgson has nothing to do with this deal.

Kassian was an asset of ours and our GM got terrible value for the asset. If that's all Kassian fetches at this point in time then hang onto him another year, save the million in cap space, and hope as a 25 year old Kassian finally puts it together. If you still don't like him after next season for whatever reason then I can say OK, trade him as you've exhausted all options.

Not to mention Kassian was injured for almost half the season. Showcase the kid if you want to trade him. Don't dump him for an overage plug making more $$$ when his value is at an all time low.

Todd Bertuzzi finally broke out at 25, how quick we forget.

I have always rooted for Kass but his off ice issues and his back appears to be why he was dealt. At the end of the day, I am certain that JB has his plan to develop the future core players such as Horvat, Virtanen, McCaan, Cassels...etc.

In my opinion, the culture of a team is very important. Behaviours by individual teammates be it positive or negative will impact the culture of a winning team environment.

after doing significant digging on prust, it sound though hes done being a offensive contributor, which on a Mtl team that struggled for offense was a noticeable detriment to his game. he was also referred to as one of the core leaders in his locker room and will stick up for each and every teammate in every situation.

prust is bieksas replacement in this regard. he brings locker room character and on ice protection for team youth. key difference is that prust doesnt have to eat up top 4 dman minutes which was honestly hurting the canucks last season... we all know it. this was also not a role that kassian fit despite being prodded to accept a similar role.

i see the trades shake down like:

bieksa (4.5M cap hit) for prust (2.5M cap hit)

kassian + 5th for 2nd

looking at it this way, Im fine with these deals and feel they make sense. all last season i yelled at kassian on tv... youre a bum,!!! honestly so happy that herpaderp looking chump is gone.

I'm enjoying the panic around here. JB is cutting his losses and people need to understand the Canucks are done with Kaaaian The guy just didn't and probably won't be growing up to be a mature dependable employee. They fired the guy.

after doing significant digging on prust, it sound though hes done being a offensive contributor, which on a Mtl team that struggled for offense was a noticeable detriment to his game. he was also referred to as one of the core leaders in his locker room and will stick up for each and every teammate in every situation.

prust is bieksas replacement in this regard. he brings locker room character and on ice protection for team youth. key difference is that prust doesnt have to eat up top 4 dman minutes which was honestly hurting the canucks last season... we all know it. this was also not a role that kassian fit despite being prodded to accept a similar role.

i see the trades shake down like:

bieksa (4.5M cap hit) for prust (2.5M cap hit)

kassian + 5th for 2nd

looking at it this way, Im fine with these deals and feel they make sense. all last season i yelled at kassian on tv... youre a bum,!!! honestly so happy that herpaderp looking chump is gone.

Right, try to spin it anyway you want. We basically got a 3rd rounder for Juice, and gave away a 5th rounder and took more cap for an old grinder in Prust?

I agree the time for change is 2016, which is when we will resign all of these over the hill grinders to extensions and watch this sorry franchise go cupless for another 40 years. Way to go Aquilini, Linden and Benning

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Bonino Vrbata

Higgins Horvat Hansen

Prust Vey Dorsett

Virtanen/Grenier/Gaunce

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Weber

Sbisa Bartkowski

Clendening Corrado

Miller

Markstrom

Some youth!

Flip Higgins for 2nd right now. Or at TD. One more NTC off the team...

Horvat will be 2C by all star break IMO.

Slot Cassels in too. Or at least give him a realistic shot to make the squad next year.

Even our D isn't looking awful. To hell with the haters. I like the moves and at the very least, gives us lots of new faces to watch this year.

So because we got more for Kass from the Habs than Buffalo got for Hodgson we did OK?

Why are we even comparing Kassian to Hodgson anymore? Hodgson has nothing to do with this deal.

Kassian was an asset of ours and our GM got terrible value for the asset. If that's all Kassian fetches at this point in time then hang onto him another year, save the million in cap space, and hope as a 25 year old Kassian finally puts it together. If you still don't like him after next season for whatever reason then I can say OK, trade him as you've exhausted all options.

Not to mention Kassian was injured for almost half the season. Showcase the kid if you want to trade him. Don't dump him for an overage plug making more $$$ when his value is at an all time low.

Todd Bertuzzi finally broke out at 25, how quick we forget

Kassian had his chance. It was sell low now or sell lower later. The good part of the return was we got was an expiring contract for next year rather than 2 yrs from now if we kept Kassian so that we can use it to sign a UFA or make a significant trade. I don't see how we could have done much better... we could showcase Kassian like we showcased Markstrom when he was shelled for 3 goals on 5 shots and pulled after 10 min in his first NHL game last year.

Bertuzzi broke out at 25 but Steve Bernier regressed around that same time. I think Kassian is on the path to regression. If a Virtanen takes Kassian/Prust's spot and outperforms them, plus with the expiring contract of Prust we sign a good player, I'm happy with the deal. We can also trade Prust at the deadline to get more assets too so it's not like this is over.

Every time he makes a move he goes on the radio for damage control. Not a good sign.

So a team that's trying to get younger and has limited cap space, trades one of their young players for a 31 year old with a bigger cap hit?

I'm really starting to think that Benning has no real direction for this team.

Terrible...

Our GM makes a trade and then talks about it via the media and all of a sudden that's a bad thing ?

I usually like your posts as they are usually decent to good posts.

On getting younger... Bieksa was traded to make room for one or two of the 22 / 22 / 27 year olds on the right side.

Not all moves have to necessarily be a trade to get statistically young. Fact is Bieksa provided some grit and tenacity and Kassian did not. Canucks felt the player wasn't worth the effort and made a trade on that player as a basis of need.

WarHippy, BanTSN, TOML, et al. must be absolutely miserable people.

All you ever hear from them is negative, and usually it isn't 'different' negative, it is just repeating the same thing over and over.

Are you guy like this in all areas of your life?

And for the record, I don't like the Kassian trade, but I'm not going to be a little b!tch about it.

stop following us then

It's pathetic you spend so much time on that really.

Not sure we need more fans.

But if you don't like people being critical of a team they love (39 years for me) than you can go play cheerleader elsewhere

We're allowed to be critical of OUR team and if ya don't like it. Find the ignore button

stop following us then

It's pathetic you spend so much time on that really.

Not sure we need more fans.

But if you don't like people being critical of a team they love (39 years for me) than you can go play cheerleader elsewhere

We're allowed to be critical of OUR team and if ya don't like it. Find the ignore button

Two phrases come to mind,

ignorance is bliss,

and the happiest people in the world are idiots.

Two phrases come to mind,

ignorance is bliss,

and the happiest people in the world are idiots.

fair enough.

Just rather tired that any and i do mean ANY criticism of our team and the moves made by management is met with insults and derision

Archived