The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gotta wonder ... Sedins' future?

Neversummer

Well, with all that is going on and the direction of this team clearly heading to rebuild, doesn't look like it will be competitive for the next 2-3 years.

Q: will Benning and Linden give the Sedins a choice to go to a contender (one that can afford their salary). Out of respect, not ask them to waive NTC but just do the right thing for the Sedins.

IMO I don't think they're going anywhere.. If I can recall they have a "special" relationship with Trevor.

Also I believe that they might just retire after their contract expires...I will be devastated literally devastated if they were ever on a another team..

I want them to retire as Canucks for life.

What contender has $14m in cap space???

Don't know how things will all shake out after today but

Nashville has 22.8 cap space, they're not bad.

Washington has 19.4 cap space, they're not bad.

St. Louis has 14.2 cap space they're not bad ... but I think they lost some good players today.

I do not think you ask them to waive. I believe they have both an NMC and NTC. I assume they would rather retire as Canucks.

Never know until you put it out there. I know they have NMC and NTC but if you were the Sedins would you want to try at least? I think all players knowing that the end of their career is close wants a shot.

They have three more seasons. With their combined cap hit there is no team that will take them both.

It's too bad. I'd love to see them win a Cup.

Yah, precisely this. You hate to see them in another jersey but you want them to hoist the Cup one day. They are so classy that you don't mind them doing it with another team even.

I really can't see them on another team but for discussions sake, what i would do if the Canucks embraced the rebuild is trade them both to a contending team and collect 1-3 first round picks because they would be lower picks and also get a couple solid A-B level prospects in the trade. Maybe even a couple roster players to make up for the sedins. To fix the large cap hit, retain 2-3 million off both of their salaries. Wow that was kind of fun lol.

Just the idea of them being on another team gives me the shivers.. and I am that serious lol

Now obviously you can't force people to stay so if they want to leave we should allow it.. but if they don't care then they should retire as Canucks.

This team has a dark history of not keeping career long or near career long players even when they want to re-sign or stay.

And it's not like we can't afford them or something as we have 20 million in cap with them..

To fix the large cap hit, retain 2-3 million off both of their salaries. Wow that was kind of fun lol.

That's creative, to keep a bit of salary to allow them to have less cap hit and go to a contender. It would be a classy move on Benning, Linden and Aqualini's part to let them do that.

I hate to say it but Anaheim? If they can make it work on their cap ... it'd be a Canucks transplant. Most people would be OK with Bieska, Sedins hoisting the Cup ... 1/2 would be OK with Kesler ... haha.

I can't belive I heard someone in another thread say that the sedins were planning to retire after their contracts expire. I genuinely think that the sedins can be effective into their 40s. They have the type of game that doesn't diminish with age. I want them to keep playing until atleast 41 years old.

I can't belive I heard someone in another thread say that the sedins were planning to retire after their contracts expire. I genuinely think that the sedins can be effective into their 40s. They have the type of game that doesn't diminish with age. I want them to keep playing until atleast 41 years old.

It's because awhile back they stated that after their current contract expires they might head back and play in Sweden..

Today was day 1 of free agency. What if they land Ward and Stewart or Marty. I mean, we traded a backup goalie, an aged 3rd defenseman and an oft injured or benched under achiever. Not much has changed so far from last year. Sedona are like happier today. Prust will deter a lot 'Marchandedness'

I think that we forget that these hockey players are just regular people .. people with families , children and the stress of everyday life . The sedins have made a life for themselves in vancouver and sweden .. If you think that they will pick up and displace their kids and wives to win a cup then you dont know who these 2 characters are ..

they will play as long as they think they can be a positive force here in vancouver . If and when they decide that is no longer true , they may play out their remaining years in sweden .

We can stop fantasizing about trades and blah blah blah .. aint gonna happen . Hockey is important to them but doesn't come close to family . its one of the reasons I love and respect them , and also one of the reasons we will never win a cup with them .

kind of a conundrum

I think that we forget that these hockey players are just regular people .. people with families , children and the stress of everyday life . The sedins have made a life for themselves in vancouver and sweden .. If you think that they will pick up and displace their kids and wives to win a cup then you dont know who these 2 characters are ..

You can't possibly have enough insight to claim any of this, lol...

Archived