The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Bonino for Brandon Sutter

Pittsburgh has a huge cap problem with only 15 players signed.

Bonino for Sutter straight up seems like a good deal in this circumstance.

Sutter is a better player, but is a higher cap hit and UFA after the season. Bonino is a fine 3C for Pittsburgh at a much more affordable price and is signed for an extra year at that cap hit.

For us, we get a better player.... and if things go wrong this year Sutter would bring a huge premium at the trade deadline to a contender.

• 4 weeks later...

Sutter is a better player, but is a higher cap hit and UFA after the season. Bonino is a fine 3C for Pittsburgh at a much more affordable price and is signed for an extra year at that cap hit.

For us, we get a better player.... and if things go wrong this year Sutter would bring a huge premium at the trade deadline to a contender.

Well that worked out as proposed... almost.

When I thought it was a good idea, I actually though we could get a young prospect in return for helping Pittsburgh shed salary. It was the other way around.

I still hold to the idea that if the season goes terribly and Sutter doesn't re-up for a good value deal... he would bring a huge premium at the deadline to a contender.

Smartypantz.

Lmao no ???? way. Thays hilarious.

You win cdc for the month bro.

Even a dummy like me can be right every once in a while!

It actually makes sense in terms of how I said it, not terribly in love with the deal but it is better than the last few.

If the rumours are true and we are extending Sutter and it comes at a decent cap hit I think we win the trade, he brings a lot more upside to the table and has elements that are valuable even when he isn't scoring. Having him take more defensive draws allows Horvat and the Sedins to focus more on offense. That plan worked when Malhotra took over defensive duties from Kesler and it turned into a career year for Kes.

Clendening has nothing that you can't replace on the waiver wire... the pick swap is negligent as you are likely to be able to get the same player you target at low 2nd or high 3rd.

Well done !

Although I like your trade more than the reality fo what was really traded.

Either way nice call. ^_^

Even a dummy like me can be right every once in a while!

It actually makes sense in terms of how I said it, not terribly in love with the deal but it is better than the last few.

If the rumours are true and we are extending Sutter and it comes at a decent cap hit I think we win the trade, he brings a lot more upside to the table and has elements that are valuable even when he isn't scoring. Having him take more defensive draws allows Horvat and the Sedins to focus more on offense. That plan worked when Malhotra took over defensive duties from Kesler and it turned into a career year for Kes.

Clendening has nothing that you can't replace on the waiver wire... the pick swap is negligent as you are likely to be able to get the same player you target at low 2nd or high 3rd.

Good call Provost. I liked your proposal when you put it out there and I like it even more today.

Archived