The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden on TSN 1040 (11:30 July 2)

Gstank29

The Brain Trust are doing a lot of hits on the TSN 1040 lately

Summary

-Gilman, Henne, and Crawford were fired by Linden, said that the were relieved because that was a direction they wanted to go

-Size of the group made it hard to conduct business

-"Streamlining the process"

-Responsiblities will be taken on by other members in the organization

-Weren't fired earlier because they wanted to "evaluate" their work

-Said that the 3 had a "bigger voices" in the old organization, was hard to combine the two groups

-Was hard to get rid of the NTC's, has the organization best interest at mind

-Wasn't about performance (sounds like the Aquillini's want to shed excess salary"

-Lawrence Gilman responsiblity was Contracts and Cap management

-Doesn't know about compensation if they go to another organization

-Gilman was the analyics guy, doesn't believe it's the magic bullet but say it's a important part of the process

Can't post the hit as I'm on lunch break

Linden claims that it was him that made the decision but you definitely know that Benning had input on Trev's decision.

Still a little confused by the move. Either the firings today are an incredibly smart move by Trevor Linden and Benning that will endure themselves to the fanbase and further improve this team in the future or today's move could be a great insight how incredibly stupid both guys were.in this decision.

Linden claims that it was him that made the decision but you definitely know that Benning had input on Trev's decision.

Still a little confused by the move. Either the firings today are an incredibly smart move by Trevor Linden and Benning that will endure themselves to the fanbase and further improve this team in the future or today's move could be a great insight how incredibly stupid both guys were.in this decision.

Or Linden is smart enough not to fire integral parts of an organization to appease childish fanbase opinions and actually bring in the proper people who will accomplish his vision rather the vision of his predecessor.

Gillis and his team failed this franchise in winning a cup. Why is it that all of a sudden they were some how so great? They failed. Gillis got fired... his hirings got the chance to stay on for another year and obviously the new management and the ownership didn't like what they saw during this year.

People are so quick to turn on their words in this fan base. GET RID OFF GILIS!! but keep his hirings..... makes no sense.

Before someone claims that i hate Gilis or something, I actually never pushed for him to be fired, thought he made moves that made sense and unfortunatley didn't work out. He did fail to get the best core the Canucks have ever had the right complimentary pieces and Gilman was apart of that. Also, there are plenty more "cap geniuses" out there that don't hand NTC's out like they are nothing.

I took the important parts of the conversation and typed it out. Much bigger summary.

On the three releases within management:

Linden: tough day, they’ve been here a long time. Big contributions, they were hard conversations. Looking back on it, I’ve had tough decisions and in fair fairness to people within organization I’ve wanted to give them a chance. I think I need to do it to move forward.

On if it was his decision

Linden: I think it’s my job to look at the organization, and I don’t make decisions independently, but I feel it’s the right direction

On if there was a different philosophy between those fired and current mgmt – why

Linden: I certainly don’t want to get into specifics and performance, it’s dependant on where I think we need to be. On the size of the group we have, it was hard to conduct business. That’s as far as I’m going

On the size of the office comment - are you replacing?

Linden: Many of the responsibilities will be absorbed will be within organization. No decisions, no imminent hirings but I have ideas.

On if they got calls for them

Linden: I hadn’t. Tough conversations, thinks they’ll both get jobs quickly.

On why the releases of these people didn't happen early

Linden: I wanted to let things settle, owed it to myself. As far as timing goes, there’s never a good or right time. Did it for the right reasons and to serve organization the best.

Did these moves have something to do with them having a stronger voice in prior regime?

Linden: I think there’s always a challenge with bringing two groups together – but they’re quality people. I don’t think there was a big deal in that. This structure is better suited (without them)

Is there a magnified glass on this management group?

Linden: We came in last year, made big changes with the goal of getting younger and creating more depth. Was not going to be a snap of the fingers. Going to be difficult decisions, made some of them already. Fans will support, fans will disagree. People needed to realize there would be difficult decisions

Lorne oversaw the Utica program – good year for Utica, so he should get top marks and why should he be let go?

Linden: I’ve known lorne for twenty years and consider him a good friend and it wasn’t about performance. He was architect of that (being Utica). I called Robert Esche (GM of Utica) and Travis Green to discuss the future. Again, not about performance but vision for future.

On if Giman did contracts under previous tenure – was he with this?

Linden: he’s not just a numbers guy, he was much more than that. He applied himself. Currently, we’re managing cap internally. We’ll assess and evaluate going forward.

On a couple of logistics things going forward, who’s managing scouting (pro/amateur)?

Linden: currently, I’ve thought of where we’re going but until we firm those up, obviously a tough day, but I’ve got some ideas and Jim and I have discussed

On if there would there be any compensation if Gilman and Henning are hired by a different org?

Linden: haven’t looked into it yet. They’re good people. Can’t tell you that right now.

On analytics:

Linden: analytics plays a big role in our game today, big piece. It’s not the magic bullet, but definitely a significant piece. We have people internally who are working on that side of the game, and they’ll continue with it. I’m comfortable with that right now.

I took the important parts of the conversation and typed it out. Much bigger summary.

On the three releases within management:

Linden: tough day, they’ve been here a long time. Big contributions, they were hard conversations. Looking back on it, I’ve had tough decisions and in fair fairness to people within organization I’ve wanted to give them a chance. I think I need to do it to move forward.

On if it was his decision

Linden: I think it’s my job to look at the organization, and I don’t make decisions independently, but I feel it’s the right direction

On if there was a different philosophy between those fired and current mgmt – why

Linden: I certainly don’t want to get into specifics and performance, it’s dependant on where I think we need to be. On the size of the group we have, it was hard to conduct business. That’s as far as I’m going

On the size of the office comment - are you replacing?

Linden: Many of the responsibilities will be absorbed will be within organization. No decisions, no imminent hirings but I have ideas.

On if they got calls for them

Linden: I hadn’t. Tough conversations, thinks they’ll both get jobs quickly.

On why the releases of these people didn't happen early

Linden: I wanted to let things settle, owed it to myself. As far as timing goes, there’s never a good or right time. Did it for the right reasons and to serve organization the best.

Did these moves have something to do with them having a stronger voice in prior regime?

Linden: I think there’s always a challenge with bringing two groups together – but they’re quality people. I don’t think there was a big deal in that. This structure is better suited (without them)

Is there a magnified glass on this management group?

Linden: We came in last year, made big changes with the goal of getting younger and creating more depth. Was not going to be a snap of the fingers. Going to be difficult decisions, made some of them already. Fans will support, fans will disagree. People needed to realize there would be difficult decisions

Lorne oversaw the Utica program – good year for Utica, so he should get top marks and why should he be let go?

Linden: I’ve known lorne for twenty years and consider him a good friend and it wasn’t about performance. He was architect of that (being Utica). I called Robert Esche (GM of Utica) and Travis Green to discuss the future. Again, not about performance but vision for future.

On if Giman did contracts under previous tenure – was he with this?

Linden: he’s not just a numbers guy, he was much more than that. He applied himself. Currently, we’re managing cap internally. We’ll assess and evaluate going forward.

On a couple of logistics things going forward, who’s managing scouting (pro/amateur)?

Linden: currently, I’ve thought of where we’re going but until we firm those up, obviously a tough day, but I’ve got some ideas and Jim and I have discussed

On if there would there be any compensation if Gilman and Henning are hired by a different org?

Linden: haven’t looked into it yet. They’re good people. Can’t tell you that right now.

On analytics:

Linden: analytics plays a big role in our game today, big piece. It’s not the magic bullet, but definitely a significant piece. We have people internally who are working on that side of the game, and they’ll continue with it. I’m comfortable with that right now.

I hear the word internally a lot...I hear a lot of "I don't have an answer to that" being unsaid.

My biggest question is how he doesn't know about compensatory gain if Gilman is hired by another team. It's his job to know that.

Awesome job TS, thanks for this. Raises a lot more questions and leaves a lot unsaid but while they may have a vision, the endless uhms and ahs and "no comment" style answers leaves a lot in the air for people that have such a strong vision of where they are steering the team

Archived