The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Jim Benning to sign Milan Lucic to 7 year, $49 million contract on July 1, 2016

I am calling it now: We will see Jim Benning sign Milan Lucic to a massive 7 year deal on July 1, 2016, that will pay him $49 million over the term (average $7 million a year).

Several things that have transpired recently have given us clues as to why this will probably happen:

1) The Canucks were rumoured to have gone after Milan Lucic from the Boston Bruins this year before he was eventually acquired by the LA Kings.

2) Jim Benning is formerly from the Boston Bruins and is very familiar with Milan Lucic's style of play.

3) Jim Benning's recent acquisitions of "meat and potato" guys like Prust, Dorsett and Sbisa prove that Milan Lucic is the type of player that could be a "benning guy"

4) Jim Benning recently said he is freeing up cap space for next year's deadline

5) Milan Lucic is from Vancouver as we all know, and on Team 1040 after he was traded to the LA Kings, he said he had picked Vancouver as one of the teams he would want to go to, and would love to have played here.

6) We desperately need depth on our Left Wing. Our current depth is: D. Sedin, Higgins, Baertschi, Prust. We are weakest on our LW depth, and Milan Lucic would fill an instant top 6 role. When Jim Benning got Prust, he talked about exchanging a RW guy (Kassian) for a LW guy (Prust) as being a factor in his decision. Lucic is a LW guy.

I would love to see Lucic on the Canucks but man, a 7 year $49M deal? You've got to be insane to give Lucic that.

Yep, to make it clear, before I get jumped on, I fully agree. It's an ABSOLUTELY INSANE DEAL. It doesn't mean it won't happen though. All signs point to yes. The LA kings won't be able to match the deal, and Lucic knows that. But that's what it will take to get Lucic, and that's what Benning will pay. I can almost guarantee it! $7 million a year (probably front loaded), and it will take Lucic from 28 years old to 35 years old. Benning is going to roll the dice hard. If this actually goes down, then next July 1st could be even more intense on the forums than yesterday was.

Yep, to make it clear, before I get jumped on, I fully agree. It's an ABSOLUTELY INSANE DEAL. It doesn't mean it won't happen though. All signs point to yes. The LA kings won't be able to match the deal, and Lucic knows that. But that's what it will take to get Lucic, and that's what Benning will pay. I can almost guarantee it! $7 million a year (probably front loaded), and it will take Lucic from 28 years old to 35 years old. Benning is going to roll the dice hard. If this actually goes down, then next July 1st could be even more intense on the forums than yesterday was.

I would definitely fear for Benning's job if you're right about this...

Unless he absolutely lights it up in LA like no other since Neely there's no damned chance he gets $7 million per year

And if benning offers him anything more than $5 million he's on frigging glue. He's worth $5 million tops for his production and I'd be loathe to sign him for more than 2-3 years at a stretch in case he gets complacent.

I am calling it now: We will see Jim Benning sign Milan Lucic to a massive 7 year deal on July 1, 2016, that will pay him $49 million over the term (average $7 million a year).

Several things that have transpired recently have given us clues as to why this will probably happen:

1) The Canucks were rumoured to have gone after Milan Lucic from the Boston Bruins this year before he was eventually acquired by the LA Kings.

2) Jim Benning is formerly from the Boston Bruins and is very familiar with Milan Lucic's style of play.

3) Jim Benning's recent acquisitions of "meat and potato" guys like Prust, Dorsett and Sbisa prove that Milan Lucic is the type of player that could be a "benning guy"

4) Jim Benning recently said he is freeing up cap space for next year's deadline

5) Milan Lucic is from Vancouver as we all know, and on Team 1040 after he was traded to the LA Kings, he said he had picked Vancouver as one of the teams he would want to go to, and would love to have played here.

6) We desperately need depth on our Left Wing. Our current depth is: D. Sedin, Higgins, Baertschi, Prust. We are weakest on our LW depth, and Milan Lucic would fill an instant top 6 role. When Jim Benning got Prust, he talked about exchanging a RW guy (Kassian) for a LW guy (Prust) as being a factor in his decision. Lucic is a LW guy.

i love how the line you bolded is incorrect. he's freeing up cap space for the start of free agency, not the deadline.

Archived