The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This Management is the "New England Patriots" of NHL

thejerrycan

I'll be brief--or try to be! Vancouverite displaced and currently residing in the Hub (Boston). Benning and Linden know what it takes to win--in my mind TL is a champion but that's a discussion for a later date. They inherited a mess which I think they've done a tremendous job cleaning up. I view Benning as the equivalent of Bill Belichick/ Kraft of the NHL. For real.

He knows what it takes to win a Stanely Cup and he's telling you! He's telling you! "Character guys, consistent, gritty, skilled, two-way players, hard working, and again character." What does that mean? It means that he's not going to overpay or gamble on guys like Kassian who haven't shown up and won't ever show up! Pats are notorious for "cutting the cord" and expecting their players to be multi-dimensional and not over paying for roster spots.

Have you forgotten the Boston series? Marchand became a household name from that series because of his character. That whole Boston team "willed" their way to a Stanley Cup. I was so ashamed that my beloved Canucks had zero spine and essentially turtled. Have faith that these signings are essential to the next ones and creating a culture that is long overdue in Vancouver. Patriots have established that culture and it didn't happen in two seasons but the result is over a decade of being competitive. TL knew that it wasn't just skill that got that 1994 team to the finals it was character. They did their job.

When JB has more cap room next season I hope he'll draft and be frugal and demand that players "do their job". Year 3 and I'm confident the culture and expectations in the locker room will be solidified. We will have an arsenal of character players that will bring us multiple Stanley Cups. There is no way that you can be in New England and not adapt that Patriot blueprint.

Does that mean Willie is going to start cheating? It's hard to mess with vulcanized rubber, and it's hard to read lips in the middle of a hockey game. Maybe he will fill the players' pants with fire ants so they all skate faster.

Marchand stood toe to toe with Sedin and "slapped the sh**" out him. Nothing cowardly about that. Thomas cleared and owned his crease. Nothing "ahole" about that.

My point is Pats were never the pats before the new regime. That's where this franchise is heading...

Marchand is a household name because he is a gutless coward. I am a Boston fan and I readily admit that.

Also, a team with zero championships in 45 years cannot be compared to the Patriots.

People tend to forget that pre-Brady the Pats were actually a laughingstock in the NFL. They existed for 41 years without a championship prior to 2001.

So we are actually a lot alike in terms of sucking for the first few decades

I agree somewhat character is the key to victory. But it's not always about character. It's also about how the team works hard for each other and win consistently as a team. With WD, we are always a playoff team. We will always find ways to grind out games and win em. In this league it's about winning. We are going to be like the Blackhawks one day. It's just the question of when.... I say in a few years but as long as we make playoffs while retooling on the way, I'm pretty stoked to see how we'll shape up to be in the future. Also Cassels, Horvat, Virtanen, McCann, Shinkaruk, etc are the future of this franchise and I'm pumped to see how they'll shape up to be with our club for years to come.

Patriots are nothing without Tom Brady. All we need is a Tom Brady type player, IMO that is similar to Toews.

You are also forgetting one thing: Belicheck knows how to gameplan. I doubt Willie D has any clue of X and O of strategy, he was schooled so bad in the playoffs. Great social worker and leadership type, but in terms of Strategy, he is far from a genius coach.

Archived