The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Running on MODO power - The legend of Naslund and the Sedins

DonaldBrashear

I was looking at some stats today, and reading specifically about Modo hockey and the Swedish hockey league. While reading about it, I came across an interesting stat: In fact, since the 1998–99 season, no Canucks player has led the team in scoring besides either Naslund, Henrik or Daniel.. As soon as I read that, I knew it to be true, but couldn't quite believe it. Had our team's leading scorer for the past 17 years in a row honestly really been the same 3 players? All of whom came from the same small Swedish town of Örnsköldsvik? A small town of just 29,000? I looked up the stats just to confirm, and sure enough, it is true. Since 98/99, a Swedish born player, born in the town of Örnsköldsvik, who formerly played for Modo, has been our leading scorer every year.

Then I started reading about the other infamous Swedish born player from Modo... just some guy named Peter Forsberg, maybe one of the best to play the game. And after reading about him, I noticed he was drafted #6 overall in the 1991 NHL Draft. I thought to myself "Imagine if the Canucks had picked up Forsberg?". Then I looked at the draft standings. Guess who picked #7 in the 1991 draft? The Vancouver Canucks. Imagine how close we were to picking Peter Forsberg. Had the Philadelphia Flyers not picked him, we might have seen Peter Forsberg in a Canucks uniform.

Anyways, what would our future have been if we had not picked up Naslund? Would the Sedins ever have been drafted? Did Naslund tell Brian Burke about these two amazing kids from Modo hockey, known as the Sedins? Surely Brian Burke must have, at the very least, talked to Naslund before drafting them. Perhaps Markus Naslund did even more for this organization than we realize. Now, the only question remains: How much longer will this streak continue? And who will be the first player to break the legendary modo hockey streak of the Canucks? Predictions?

98/99 - Markus Naslund - 66 points (36g, 30a)
99/00 - Markus Naslund - 65 points (27g, 38a)
00/01 - Markus Naslund - 75 points (41g, 34a)
01/02 - Markus Naslund - 90 points (40g, 50a)
02/03 - Markus Naslund - 104 points (48g, 56a)
03/04 - Markus Naslund - 84 points (35g, 49a)
04/05 - lockout
05/06 - Markus Naslund - 79 points (32g, 47a)
06/07 - Daniel Sedin - 84 points (36g, 48a)
07/08 - Henrik Sedin - 76 points (15g, 61a)
08/09 - Daniel Sedin - 82 points (31g, 51a)
09/10 - Henrik Sedin - 112 points (29g, 83a)
10/11 - Daniel Sedin - 104 points (41g, 63a)
11/12 - Henrik Sedin - 81 points (14g, 67a)
12/13 - Henrik Sedin - 45 points (11g, 34a)
13/14 - Henrik Sedin - 50 points (11g, 39a)
14/15 - Daniel Sedin - 76 points (20g, 56a)

I forgot to mention the other option to keep the streak alive - ME - Donald Brashear!

I am now officially a Modo hockey player after all. Yes, I may be 43 years old, but I am feeling a comeback. Maybe I could sign a 4-5 year deal with the Canucks, for around 20 million? I'd come back and win the Art Ross!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=550

That's hilarious :)

The first sport I watched as a little kid was ice hockey and specifically MoDo. My dad has been a huge fan since he was a little kid so it got passed down to me. They have an amazing hockey programme throughout the city and even offer high schoolers to take special courses that allows them to play more hockey (quite common in Swedish sports).

We have had many fantastic players develop at MoDo (Edler was there for a little while as well but hes actually from my hometown!) and the tradition continues. I'm not from there but a town not too far away and due to their geographic location they end up getting a lot of talent from around the northern region of Sweden and more recently southern Sweden as well. Players know about their track record off developing players just in recent years a few names stand out, Victor Hedman, Robert Hagg, William Nylander (barely, was out on loan and only played for a part of a season there), Gustav Possler (Buffalo), Anders Forsberg (Goalie, Columbus) and many more.

They pride themselves in player development and there are a ridiculous amount of players that have made it to NHL that have played for MoDo throughout the years. I think Djurgården have provided more however! Sundin being most notable.

Sadly, they're in risk of being relegated to the 2nd league the past 3-5 years and they haven't exactly impressed anyone due to financial reasons.

There is hope though, signed Ryan Whitney for this season! lol.

Archived